It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two journalists arrested for story on "weapons loaded" intelligence trucks bound for Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Two journalists arrested for story on intelligence trucks bound for Syria
(hurriyetdailynews.com)

Cumhuriyet Editor-in-Chief Can Dündar and the daily’s Ankara Bureau Chief Erdem Gül were arrested Nov. 26 due to a story about Turkish intelligence trucks bound for Syria in early 2014.

“We are accused of ‘spying.’ The president said [our action is] ‘treason.’ We are not traitors, spy, or heroes; we are journalists. What we have done here was a journalistic activity,” Dündar said before testifying to prosecutors Nov. 26.

Footage released by Cumhuriyet on May 29 reportedly showed gendarmerie and police officers opening crates on the back of trucks which contained what the daily described as weapons and ammunition sent to Syria by MİT in January 2014.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan filed an individual criminal complaint against Dündar and Cumhuriyet on June 2, claiming that the story “included some footage and information that are not factual” while saying the person “who wrote the story will pay a heavy price.”

Journalists in Turkey working for one of the major news outlets filmed intelligence trucks being unloaded with crates of weapons bound for the Turkmen inside of Syria. The Erdogan government is going after these reporters, arresting them and accusing them of faking the footage. Erdogan is leading Turkey down a dangerous path.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
edit, hateful, crass. Too much turkey (today)
Triptaphaned out
edit on 26-11-2015 by NowWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The Government of Turkey has been out of control for a long time.

The people of Turkey have been livid against the AKP,
then he rigs an election and tries to kill opposition.

All the while waging war against anyone within the media not blindly following this lunatics ambitions.

One can only hope a revolution will topple this madman and his government, much like we saw in Egypt back in '12
edit on America/ChicagoThursdayAmerica/Chicago11America/Chicago1130pmThursday9 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Can Dündar is one of the most respected journalists in Turkey and has a worldwide following, he also works with Reporters Without Borders (winning awards from them), here is his twitter link: @candundaradasi

Here is the press release of his arrest, he faces life in prison: Will RSF Press Freedom Prize recipient be jailed tonight in Istanbul?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Erdogan is a dictator, and there has been fears about his deliberate cracked down on "Freedom of Speech" in Turkey, just like what the French are doing right now.

Turkey: Next stop civil war?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Excellent thread there innerpeace!

Thank you for linking it, what I think we shall come to see is that Erdogan's government has overstepped its bounds on too many fronts in too short of a time, civil war is most certainly coming to Turkey.
edit on America/ChicagoThursdayAmerica/Chicago11America/Chicago1130pmThursday10 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012
Erdogan is a dictator, and there has been fears about his deliberate cracked down on "Freedom of Speech" in Turkey, just like what the French are doing right now.

Turkey: Next stop civil war?

Great thread topic, it deserves more attention, Erdogan is clearly leading Turkey into dangerous territory, he even had a 15-year old boy imprisoned for 'insulting' him (Turkish 15-year-old arrested for 'insulting' Erdogan) when that happens you know your 'leader' is bat-s**t insane.

On top of everything the United States and Saudi Arabia and Qatar and other backers of ISIS are trying to pull in Syria, I think the wild card no one considered was Erdogan and his own designs on Syria.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
two flags ....someone ought to smash the regime in the name of modern civil decorum.

leave the reporters alone or else.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Excellent thread there innerpeace!

Hey, thanks guys

Thank you for linking it, what I think we shall come to see is that Erdogan's government has overstepped its bounds on too many fronts in too short of a time, civil war is most certainly coming to Turkey.

The only reason why there hasn't been any major uprising is because the Kurds are considered a minority in turkey. But with a Kurdish estimated population of 16,640,000 in Turkey, and for the mere fact that the USA can arm rebels against Assad, I don't see why the Russian should relieve the Kurds from this dictator.

Makes me ponder, as to why Turkey is so protective over it's borders, when the Russians come near it? Either Erdogan is harboring ISIS or is scared that the Russians might as well turned the Kurds against him, or both..

And as I type this out, the puzzle seems to fit nicely: Turkey warns US, Russia over arms supply to Syrian Kurds

Turkey’s prime minister has lashed out at both the United States and Russia for supplying weapons and support to the Democratic Union Party (PYD) of Syria in its bid to fight extremist jihadists, raising concerns that the arms could be used against Turkey by the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), an affiliate of the PYD.

Turkey summoned the United States’ ambassador to Turkey, John Bass, on Oct. 13 to the Foreign Ministry to convey Ankara’s strong reaction over the airdropping of ammunition to the PYD late Oct. 11. A similar message was scheduled to be conveyed to Russia later on Oct. 13.

“We have expressed this to the U.S. and Russia in the clearest way. This is an issue of national security for us. Everybody perfectly knows how we take action when it’s about our national security, just like we did on the night of July 23, when we attacked the PKK and Daesh,” Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu told Ankara bureau chiefs of newspapers on Oct. 12. Davutoğlu used the Arabic acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) as he recalled Turkey’s launch of a comprehensive military operation against ISIL and the PKK.

edit on 26-11-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I would gladly hear the opinion of a Turkish national in light of all the recent events in this.
Are there any Turks here on ATS?
I can only go by what the press is feeding us right now.
Interesting yet unsettling story in the OP and I think things are beginning to look more grim by the day for Turkey.
It's a shame, because I love Turkey as a country and hate how politics are turning out right now.
I'm not sure where Erdogan is steering Turkey towards now and surely not in a good direction either.
edit on 26-11-2015 by Tyrion79 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I am waiting for the day that russia shows evidence to the world that the US are directly helping ISIS.

please.... please please please be soon

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Plus there is this Journalist who exposed the same story. She felt threatenend and died in an car 'accident':

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
And let's not forget the BBC Journalist who committed 'suicide' by 'hanging herself' in an airport toilet in Ankara:
www.theguardian.com... /oct/19/british-journalist-jacky-sutton-found-dead-in-istanbul-airport

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Here's another report about the Turkish weapons trucks.

A pro-government prosecutor who was appointed to the MİT trucks case inadvertently admitted in May that weapon-laden trucks made 2,000 trips to Syria.

Tuğrul Türkeş, ... said in June that the trucks were not destined for Syrian Turkmens. Speaking on CNN Türk in June, Türkeş said: "I swear that those weapons were not sent to Turkmens as they [Erdoğan and other government officials] claim. We [the MHP] have connections with Turkmens [in Syria]."

www.todayszaman.com...

edit on 27-11-2015 by Paradeox because: Editing.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Paradeox

Speaking to a room full of teachers on Tuesday gathered for Teachers' Day, Erdoğan said, “You know of the treason regarding the MİT trucks, don't you? So what if there were weapons in them? I believe that our people will not forgive those who sabotaged this support.”

WTF, Erdogan is out of control. Maybe NATO needs to intervene in Turkey.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Being a reporter can be a dangerous job when you find out stuff you shouldn't.....

S&F ......

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I'v said it before, and i'l sat it again.
Don't look at Putin, nor Obama, nor lil'kim etc.
Erdogan is someone you should keep an eye on. He's whole political career is like that of Hitler in the early days.
Little by little is he turning Turkey into a dictatorship, the same false flags to boost his political career, he's populist approach.
If someone is gonna start a world war, its gonna be him.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Arrest, that's nothin'. What about this LADY JOURNALIST who was possibly MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD!

The U.S still will not talk about it?

"Serena Shim (Arabic: سيرينا علي سحيم‎,[2] Serena Ali Suhaim; October 10, 1985 – October 19, 2014) was an American journalist. While covering the Siege of Kobanê as a war correspondent for Press TV, she was killed in a car crash. Her employer called the accident "suspicious".[3]"

en.wikipedia.org...

i100.independent.co.uk...

www.globalresearch.ca...

22 Journalists Killed in Turkey since 1992/Motive Confirmed

They are lucky to only have been arrested. Erdogan and Turkish Intelligence must be in a good mood today.

Something smells very rotten in Turkey. The intrigue around their clandestine support of IS is "intriguing" to say the least.

RIP Serena and all the other brave journalists who are trying to get the truth out about Turkey's complicity in IS.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Erdogan seems to be stark raving bonkers. My sister lives there; she told me that she woke up one morning to find that the name of her street had been changed. She asked one of the shop owners on her street why, he said that it happens every now and then overnight - Erdogan decrees it! He recently spent well over $600 million on a new palace ( Palace costs set to soar - BBC), all to be paid for by the people. He periodically blocks youtube, facebook etc.
The guy seems to be mentally ill, but there is not much that can be done.

On a side note of Turkish gossip, my sister also told me that she thinks that the recent bombing at the peace protest (www.theguardian.com...) were by Erdogan. She said that the police disappeared from the crowds shortly before the blasts and then they reappeared shortly afterwards. So your story about the two journalists seems perfectly reasonable to me. Erdogan wants the Kurds out, and I don't think he cares who helps him as long as he succeeds.
edit on 27-11-2015 by beansidhe because: punc

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Turkey is NATO...so they can do watever they want...
in fact NATO is delivering weapons to IS related rebels
good for buizznis !

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join