It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i used to love going to the movies. now i remember why i dont do it anymore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
holy damn is it expensive.
my wife and i wanted to start a tradition of taking our daughter(3 years) to the movies on thanksgiving and christmas. we gave her the choice of the good dinosaur or peanuts. she picked peanuts.
it was cool cause she loved it. smashed on some popcorn and sat there zoned out. loves snoopy. loved the whole experience.
made me happy

what did not make me happy was the cost of all this #.
for 3 matinee tickets, 2 medium sodas, a child size hi c, and 2 small popcorns it was $53.
i cant believe it.

since my daughter loved it i thought it would be cool if we started to do it more often. there is always # for the kids/families out but the cost is hard to justify.
lets say we were gonna do the movies every saturday. it would take no time at all to save the money and get a kick ass 4k curved tv or something.

i think the place by the mall has a special on tuesday where it is $5 all day.
that might work

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Same reason I don't go, unless it is a really special occasion with a really anticipated movie.
Was that total cost, the matinee cost? I haven't been to the theater in like five years.
It truly is a special treat these days, glad your daughter loved it.
Happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

that was the matinee cost.
i dont know if they are doing full pricing all day cause its a holiday or what

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is why we NEVER go. I took my 2 girls to see 'How to train your dragon' ...matinee, 1 soda, 1 water and 1 popcorn. It cost ##ing 67.00. Hell...a few more bucks and we could have went to six flags! Im shocked that movie theaters are still in operation.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Aghhh.. the good Ole days. 2.00 admit. .. 4 bucks on pop and popcorn....

Reasons I do not go anymore (Last movie I went to was the original Star wars)
My top 10 list...

1. It's very expensive
2. Cell phones and dumb a$$ people with cell phones
3. Head lice
4. Cell phones
5. Why go now when I can watch it streaming on roku or otherwise in 2 to 3 weeks
6. Cell phones
7. If you've ever been in a movie theater during regular hours when a movie is not showing, take my advice and don't go.
8. Too many people
9. Talking. Crying etc.
10. Going back to number 7 think of all the food candy coat popcorn hamburgers hot dogs the drop on the floor during the movie. You would not believe the critters that crawl amongst you while the lights are completely out Eyeewwwwww....

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Films, movies, whatever are bad for child development. It's too loud and the images 'strobe' to fast. Same with any 'screen' time, maybe without the horrible LOUD. It's terrible for the developing mind and senses:

With plenty of references to more information:

www.med.umich.edu...

More mainstream:

www.psychologytoday.com...

About the 'zoning out' you thought was so great:

www.eruptingmind.com...

And specifically about the LOUD:

www.noisefree.org...

In July 2001, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that one of eight children between the ages of 6 and 19 is suffering noise-induced hearing loss. These alarming data should alert parents to the fact that their children are being exposed to sounds that may hurt their hearing. Parents themselves may unwittingly contribute to this exposure.

Find something healthier for yourself and your child to do together. It will take more effort on your part but it will be cheaper and better for all of you.

Blessings.

If you want more resources feel free to ask....

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The expenses are made even more ridiculous when you realize more and more people are simply waiting for their movies to pop up On Demand or watching them online via pirated videos.

Sure, you'll still see movie theaters getting massive amounts of money for the next several years if not couple decades. But soon, we'll see the day when all theaters make less money than OnDemand, movie streaming sites, and pirated videos. It's not a matter of if anymore, but when.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
When we go to regular movie theaters, we go during matinee and we sneak our own snacks in (shhhhhhh...)

To be honest, we rarely go to the movies any more. We invested in a kick-a** home theater with a projector system, stadium seating and surround sound. It's awesome!! Don't have to mess with the unwashed masses either - just our own unwashed selves.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

i know you are just being nice but i didnt even want those references so i will pass on any more
i like movies. my wife and daughter likes them too.
we will keep going but thanks anyway freud

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The big production companies like Disney or Marvel really don't care about theatrical releases anymore; their prime profits come from DVDs. World wide dvd sales add up to billions....

Even small indy production LLCs that I work for, never expect theater showing; straight to dvd or cable.

edit on 26-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is the same reason I very rarely go to movies.

The only time I would go is if it is a very special occasion with friends/family, or if it's a very rare movie I actually want to see. The last time I went to the movies was to see the latest Jurassic Park, and before that, was the movie Prometheus. Thankfully, when seeing Prometheus, I was literally the only person in the theater at the time. Then when I went to see Jurassic Park, I was reminded why it is not worth it. I mean the movie was okay, but nothing special. Then tack on the price tag of popcorn, ticket, soda, and people checking their cell phones during the movie/crying baby, etc.... definitely not worth the price.

I think the next movie I may go see if the new Star Wars movie when it hits the cheap $1 theaters around here.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

How did I manage to survive (several decades over 20 and going) doing all that we now know to be "bad for me?"

Going to the movies is a very rare event in most children's lives today, mainly due to cost, that 3 movies before they are 10 is probably no big whoop.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Don't forget about slobs with their bare butcrack showing and rubbing agains the seat fabric for two hours. Who knows how well these slobs wipe if they can't even be bothered to pull up their pants.

And then there are the seat cushions of a thousand juicy farts.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

My best fun at the movies was with girl friends. I can never seem to remember what movies showed though. I guess I had other things on my mind.

Yea, sitting on the back row at the movies. Now a whisper from yesteryear.

Do you still have drive ins in U.S?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

How did I manage to survive (several decades over 20 and going) doing all that we now know to be "bad for me?"

Going to the movies is a very rare event in most children's lives today, mainly due to cost, that 3 movies before they are 10 is probably no big whoop.

Oh you can survive and grown up to be a good little consumer but at a fraction of your potential. I think it's sad - people just don't care.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

My best fun at the movies was with girl friends. I can never seem to remember what movies showed though. I guess I had other things on my mind.

Yea, sitting on the back row at the movies. Now a whisper from yesteryear.

Do you still have drive ins in U.S?

there is a drive in around here. i went to it a few years ago. it sucks.
placed right next to a highway so all the car lights blow right through the screen.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I love the theater and will never stop going. If you get the stubs reward card at AMC you get to waive online ticket fees and you start getting free stuff after a few visits. Upgrades to next size are all free, so I only ever pay for medium popcorn and sodas and me and the two older boys just share cuz they free refills on LARGE. In fact we are going to go watch Star Wars shortly when wife is back from post office.

So tonight's ticket cost will be:
$26 . And then another ten bucks about for our concessions. Looks like we can keep it right about under $40. Now usually I have an extra ticket that I will get from donating blood at the mobile blood bus that is at different parts of town throughout the week.

Save a life and get a free movie ticket?? Thats a win-win for everyone.

Alright Im off to see the movie. Have fun guys!!
edit on 19-12-2015 by AmericanRealist because: edited for accurate price

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I hear you, I also stopped going to movies because of the price... US$6 just for tickets (here that's kind of a lot)...wth!? I used to go with my brother every Thursday (premieres day in my country)... Now you just can't do that, if you add popcorn and a drink, that goes up to about US$15..... Too much. Beside, the movies coming out today aren't that great like they used too. Sure we get good ones now and then, but it's cheaper to wait.
edit on 19/12/2015 by redpassion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I hate cinemas, I want to be in control of the volume, be able to pause and scroll back. Go for a pee when I want, lie down, spark up,not have to sit through a tonne of previews and loud advertisements for half an hour. I don't enjoy the experience at all. Ruins watching movies for me.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Wow. Ok, say 12 bucks a pop for two adults and six for the rugrat, give or take. So three sodas and two popcorns for 25 bucks? That's steep.

Now, it has always been this way but damn, that popcorn costs more than Harry and David.

Then again, I paid 18 bucks for Roger Waters The Wall, obviously a special event as it was only shown twice in theaters, but three of those bad boys would have been $54 alone without the snacks. I'd rather go the Phil Dunphy way and smuggle snacks(beer, soda, whatever) in if I need to have them. I ain't paying ten bucks for a box of Goobers. Goobers suck anyway. Kinda hard to smuggle in popcorn, I do realize.

top topics

join