It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: California Sniper Rifle Ban Goes Into Effect

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This one got lost in the connection problems

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Then you know what? it dosent matter one bit what you think of the second amendment to me or any american. What a waste...

You know what, this isn't a US-only website and if I have to put up with Americans talking about race-riots in Sydney then you get to read my take on your constitution. Welcome to the rest of the world.

And my government doesn't fear its people, my people enjoy a low gun-crime rate and relative security and are perfectly happy for that to continue.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uni_Brow
Do you see my point to this madness? All guns are dangerous

No, I don't. I would have to be incredibly unlucky to be killed by a .22. Just look at Dick's efforts, couldn't even kill a lawyer with a shotgun.

All guns are not dangerous. You can have a .50inch musket, I'll take a compound bow and after someone calls out "load" we'll see who's left standing.

Many guns are more dangerous to the user than to the target.

And all guns in the hands of untrained or inexperienced idiots are at least as equally dangerous to the user as the target, often more so.

As for most of the rifles you listed, I have no problem with banning them.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Im going to have to say that this thread here surprises me, maybe cause im a aussie and i would never of dreamed of having a sniper rifle in the first place.
But come on guys, really what is the big deal? So you wont be able to shoot a animal from a far distance? Not be able to use these guns at rangers? Big whoop! You all act like your cleaning your sniper rifle while writing your posts, i think this is the first smart legislation i have seen come out of america in awhile.
All you second ammendment freaks, if you cant have a gun it doesnt mean their are going to be hoards of criminals ravaging your town, or that the government will send in state troopers to create a policed state.
If you werent aloud to buy guns as easily as you can, the criminals will just have knifes insted of guns. And atleast they have to be right next to you, to use a knife.

People who stand strongly for the second ammendment i dont think are patriots, but rather paranoid people.

Im sure im going get alot of slack from this response.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
This one got lost in the connection problems

Then you know what? it dosent matter one bit what you think of the second amendment to me or any american. What a waste...

You know what, this isn't a US-only website and if I have to put up with Americans talking about race-riots in Sydney then you get to read my take on your constitution. Welcome to the rest of the world.

And my government doesn't fear its people, my people enjoy a low gun-crime rate and relative security and are perfectly happy for that to continue.

Your right this is a not a US only website.

But since your not a American Citizen it dont matter on bit too me what your views are on American gun control. You will find most Americans dont aswell. But it really explains your poor understanding of the Second Amendment

But hey preach on, more power too you

Its interesting your from Australia I wonder if American gun control is of so much interest too you because your guns were taken away not too long ago.

Hows that working for you has crime rates dropped thanks to that?

www.nrawinningteam.com...

[edit on 9-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

..... my people enjoy a low gun-crime rate and relative security and are perfectly happy for that to continue.

You do indeed enjoy a relatively low gun-crime rate, but the statistics over the last few years show the rate is increasing. Further, the Gun ban enacted there had exactly the opposite effect it was supposed to have. I wonder how well the original gun ban campaign would have worked if the truth had been told up front. I can just see it; vote for the gun ban, help increase crime.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Do you see my point to this madness? All guns are dangerous

No, I don't. I would have to be incredibly unlucky to be killed by a .22. Just look at Dick's efforts, couldn't even kill a lawyer with a shotgun.

All guns are not dangerous.

This shows such a poor understanding of guns its not even funny

Do happen to know what the weapon of choice is for professional hitmen? I assume you dont because its a silenced .22.

Its easily concealable, easily silenced and cheap. The .22 has ballistics that allow it to enter the human skull but not exit it. It bounces around inside your brain turning it to swiss cheese.

I see this stuff all the time your about a 1000 times more likely to be killed by a small caliber handgun then a large rifle.

HowlrunnerIV please keep these stuff comming it shows how little you know

[edit on 9-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
In Australia we can own a gun, just no auto or semi-auto guns are allowed.
Now has this done anything for the crime rate no it hasnt, to the best of my knowledge. But if i think a junkee is going to jump me in the street, he has to be next time to to hurt me, its nice knowing that im not going to be shot down in the street.
So has australia had any school shooting incidents? No

Now would of half those kids died in those schools if they werent so easy able to get a gun and ammo? I dont think so.

When will you yanks learn, guns dont make a safe society. But by the sounds of it you all # ur gun barrels, so no matter what i say your still going to jism in ya gun.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The original gun ban campaign was a mess of ugliness.

It was also more then 15 years ago after Mr Julian Knight shot up Hoddle Street and a certain, deceased, Frank Viktovic "went postal" in the Queen Street Telecom Australia building in Melbourne.

What we saw then was the ignorant leading the moronic in protest marches in Melbourne and Sydney.

The Labour government of Victoria banned many guns, and won the election.

The Labour government of NSW banned the same guns, the Liberal party campaigned on a platform of reversing the gun laws and won.

when I say the ignorant leading the moronic, I remember watching the news. There were the shooters, the farmers etc marching in protest. One farmer held up his 9-year old son for the cameras and screamed, and I mean screamed, loudly enough for the whole crowd to hear him without a microphone that his son owned a rifel and he was a responsible user and the government were going to take his son's rifle away from him, what bastards the government were.

As a piece of anti-gun PR it was perfect. The kid was seriously uncomfortable to be the centre of attention and the man looked like an Appalachian hick (apologies to all those from the Appalachians who didn't appear on an episode of the X-Files.), screaming about "big government" taking away his rights. Guns have never been a right in Australia.

As for those who assert that the latest ban led directly to an increase in gun crime...

Bwahahahaha!

Most Australians do not own guns and criminals have never been afraid of entering houses because the home-owners might be armed. The rate may have increased, but not because of the ban.

As for gun ownership...would Columbine have occurred if guns were not available?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
when are you going to learn gun laws dont disarm criminals

According to your own government reports, more than 98% of all firearm related homicides are committed by unregistered firearms.

In 1997-1999, more than 80% of the handguns confiscated were never legally purchased or registered in Australia

The number of unregistered or uncontrolled firearms continues to increase

Criminals are still going to get guns in Australia.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

This shows such a poor understanding of guns its not even funny

Do happen to know what the weapon of choice is for professional hitmen? I assume you dont because its a silenced .22.

Alright, I should have said .22 rifle, to make it clear. And I mean a standard .22, not a necked-down big-bore cartridge.

For example, the last time I saw my grandfather he was lying in ICU after having what would be the second-last asthma attack of his life.

While he was in ICU 2 cops were brought in (this was in Bendigo in...uh...2000?), both had been shot during a domestic that subsequently became a siege. Both had been shot multiple times with a .22 rifle. Both were out of ICU and into a general ward the next day.

Laugh away, Shadow. I've been using a .22, in lever-, bolt- and semi-auto action since I was 12. I know exactly what they are capable of.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Shadow your abosolutely right, but how many murders happen with guns in australia during that period? Why dont you post those stats?
Compare the amount of firearm deaths in america compared to australia.

Yes if u have the money and know the right people you can still get anything you want, but atleast u cant buy a gun at the local market.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   

As for gun ownership...would Columbine have occurred if guns were not available?

Columbine the gun control battle cry

Of course it would because criminals can always get guns if they want them bad enough.

Even if the couldnt for some magic reason, those maniacs would have just blown up the school. They even used explosives during the Columbine killing so it shows they knew how to make them.

Bombs can be made with house hold items and chemicals. Plans can be found on the internet with the greatest of ease.

If somebody is hell bent on killing mass people gun laws are not going to stop them

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
yes, maybe not in columbine but it would have happened because there are so many illegal gun makers and illegal gun importers here in america its not even funny. you dont think gangsters shooting up people with assault rifles bought them legally do you? AHAHAHAHA right....

ive seen more illegal guns in my time then legal... mostly people in gangs who have guns given to them for joining up and such. these gangs buy illegal guns in mass amounts, and banning a gun does what? they dont care, for them its still illegal regardless.

its pointless to ban a gun because it doesnt effect the majority who ILLEGALLY buy guns.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wang

Compare the amount of firearm deaths in america compared to australia.

The number of deaths is pointless because countries have a huge difference of population. The rate is the factor you should want

I could post that but whats the point its apples and oranges.

I could post firearms deaths stats for Canada and Switzerland both with millions of gun owners which give them a high gun-ownership rate and yet they have a very low rate of firearm deaths.

Lower then Australia I believe

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
shadow yes if someone is hellbent on killing someone or group of people its always possible. "where there is a will there is a way"

But its making it harder from them to do it, and this increases their chances of failure in their attempt aswell.

You can keep using the same drag out arguements from gun freaks all ya want but you know in your self society would be safer without guns.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Alright, I should have said .22 rifle, to make it clear. And I mean a standard .22, not a necked-down big-bore cartridge.

The standard little .22 is the bullet of choice for professional killers

This tends to be the most popluar choice

www.impactguns.com...

Cost about $200
8 shot clip
semi auto
The whole thing collapses to fit into the stock which makes it very easy to modify into a pistol size gun. They drill out the serial # add a silencer.

After a job they dispose of the gun

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

As for most of the rifles you listed, I have no problem with banning them.

I didn't list any rifles, just cartridges. So maybe we should ban certain cartridges, that would clearly make sence. Almost every round that I listed are common for hunting or sporting use and most have been around over 70 years.

Maybe you should do some reasearch before casting your opinion.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Many guns are more dangerous to the user than to the target.

Many guns?
Name one please.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
9mm parabellum, semi-auto pistols.

Idiot has watched tv and thinks he knows how to shoot, pulls one out, misses the cop, the cop doesn't miss.

More dangerous to user than target. In fact any pistol fits into that category. So do smgs and Assault rifles.

And I'm not talking about suicide by cop.

Shadow, don't compare the direct numbers, compare the per capita rate, the percentage of population...

As for Canada, they now have a rising gun-crime rate...

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Almost every round that I listed are common for hunting or sporting use and most have been around over 70 years.

Maybe you should do some reasearch before casting your opinion.

Common for hunting and sporting use in the US, perhaps. The most common hunting round in Oz is .22. .303 used to be popular, as was, to a lesser extent, 7.92 Mauser and 7.62 NATO was the gold medal, but the numbers of users of this stuff just weren't that big to begin with. Otherwise people use 12-gauge.

And a "Three-oh-three" may be a round, but it is also the rifle that fires it. A "twenty-two" may be a round, but it is also the generic term for the rifles that fire it, as is "fifty-cal"...

Maybe you should stick it before...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join