It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Chicago Tried to Cover up a Police Execution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The shooting of Laquan McDonald would never have come to light without the courage of an anonymous city official. This whistleblower came to attorney Craig Futterman and journalist Jamie Kalven over a year ago.

Chicago Reporter source

From the beginning you'll see officers and detectives conspiring to cover up the story and now mayor Rahm Emanuel is trying to frame the issue as one bad officer.

Journalist Jamie Kalven points out " everything we know know, we knew from day one.they had officers on the scene. They knew there were witnesses. They had the autopsy, they had the video.. They maintained a false narrative about those events and they did it for a year."

Here's some interesting things about the case most people might not be aware of yet:

Chicago officers shoot an average of 50 civilians per year. Without the acts of this whistleblower, officer Van Dyke would still have a job.

Officer Van Dyke has a long history of citizen complaints, including brutality. One of which the city paid $500,000. None which resulted in disciplinary action.

Security video from a Burger King at the scene was deleted by police detectives before the independent police review board could obtain the video. Why are these detectives not being charged?

The sound from the dash cam videos has been deleted. At first I thought it was because hearing 16 consecutive shots in 12.5 seconds would be damning, but I've since found out there is a woman screaming "Stop! Stop! Why are you still shooting." during the 12 shots while the deceased is on the ground. This woman insisted on giving a statement, only to be told she didn't see what she thought she had. The other witnesses ( who have since given statements on what they saw, and been proven right) were shooed away the night of the shooting.

It's not one bad apple, this whistleblower has exposed systematic problems with the police force. Falsifying police reports ,destroying evidence, brutality. In my opinion the Chief of police and the mayor should lose their jobs for this cover up.

edit on 26-11-2015 by HighFive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Source not found. Surprisingly.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Source

Here is a working link. I hope this information does spark an investigation and an overall discussion by all communities as to how much power the police should have and how they are able to conduct themselves.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

"How Chicago tried to cover up a police execution" by Curtis Black

You can access it from the prospectives tab at the top.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Jesus, that's a lot of holes. I hadn't heard of this story. What exactly did he do, prior to 'lunging' at an officer?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If this is all correct information, then a number of people should be charged at a minimum with obstruction of justice.

I'm not an attorney but perhaps some of the officers were accessories after the fact.

They need to clean up their police force so the people can once again rely on the police for help

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Jesus, that's a lot of holes. I hadn't heard of this story. What exactly did he do, prior to 'lunging' at an officer?

What did he do prior
How would the killers know what he did prior
He was killed in cold blood and the murderers and accomplices covered it up
Police are not the justice system or executioners

Judge dread is a comic book, not real life

Why defend murderers?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Agreed. We focus on the officers questionable acts, and refuse to ask; Why was this guy still a cop considering his record? Why was the city trying so hard to keep his job?

We need to have a serious discussion about police training, falsifying reports, policing for profit, police militarization.

Whether your city is ran by republicans ( Ferguson, N. Charleston) or democrats ( Baltimore, Chicago) the same problems occur. Yet everyone runs to their respective corners when the issue comes up. It can happen to you!

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
if the police work for US. there should be a panel of civilians who can investigate complaints, have the right to evidence, and work with the DA in order to keep cops in check.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Chicago has deep problems with how certain segments of the city are policed. Chicago has deep problems with politics and greasing the palms of those to look away. The family of Laquan McDonald were given a $5 million dollar settlement to keep this quiet. Rahm Emmanuel meanwhile sure didn't need this to rear it ugly head while trying to get re-elected. The entire city, from the administration to the police department is a corruption of public trust. Merely an opinion from one who has lived in the Chicago area for over 40 years.

This situation will not get to the point of Ferguson or Baltimore. The police here have no fear of doing what 'they think is necessary' to qualm any violence or potential violence. Just watch the dash-cam footage. Police in Chicago are known to shoot first ask questions later, if the 'suspect' survives the encounter. Let alone the communities where violent shootings are commonplace, and no one gives information about an incident citing retaliation from ??.

The police can't do it and are not able to police these areas at all hours and keep tabs on the streets which enables gangs to rule these neighborhoods. This doesn't happen in Lincoln Park, a toney area along the lakefront on Chicago's northside. Why? I know the answer and I think any intelligent person knows the answer to that. Same as the rest of the world. Deny education, economic opportunity, and reinforce these factors and then wonder where it all goes wrong.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: HighFive

I think the most important first step is that we need to have independent investigations conducted outside of the reach of the police and corrupt politicians. It's ridiculous that the police practically investigate themselves and then we wonder why they cover each other's asses.

Then we have to change the way these officers are trained. And of course we, the citizens, have to change how we deal with the police. We must learn to respect each other.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Yah, why are they issued magazines with 16 round capacity anyway? To make sure "suspects" are dead, thats why.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

And of course we, the citizens, have to change how we deal with the police.

It would be nice to eliminate the union which, as all public sector unions, has far more interest in protecting its members, be they corrupt, incompetent, or criminal, than serving the public.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: IntastellaBurst

Chicago has an independent review board.

Police deleted the surveillance footage from the nearby Burger King the night before the review board went to retrieve it. But we must assume the review board saw the dash cam, and was aware of the payout settlement.
So the review board needs to be reviewed. Also, District Attnys have consistently been shown to give preferential treatment to city employees. Every other citizen gets hit with as many charges as they can, and pressured to plea bargain. This is extremely concerning when you realize how loose police are with the facts while writing police reports.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

This is an excellent article and explanation of how government corruption enables and covers up police brutality, placing the blame squarely where it belongs: On corrupt government officials... NOT just crying "racism" or "white privilege" and perpetuating a bogus race war. Indeed, Chicago's Black mayor was part and parcel of the coverup and protecting the murderer. We need more of this.

We also need more solutions offered... and, ultimately, demanded. Identifying the problem is easy. Fixing it is the real trick. For example:

~~ Investigation by an independent agency of ALL reports of excessive force
~~ Steroid/drug testing for the officer(s) involved
~~ Dash cams AND body cams operated and maintained by an independent agency
~~ All video/audio released within 24 hours of an officer involved shooting
~~ All police reports and witness statements released within 24 hours
~~ No non-disclosure or confidentiality clauses in police brutality settlements
~~ Any government official convicted of obstructing justice, destroying evidence, etc., receives double punishment...
either twice the fine, or twice the jail time, and so on; banned from holding public office and/or employment, loss of
all benefits, including pensions.

What else can we do? The authorities sure aren't going to do it. It's up to us.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

And of course we, the citizens, have to change how we deal with the police.

It would be nice to eliminate the union which, as all public sector unions, has far more interest in protecting its members, be they corrupt, incompetent, or criminal, than serving the public.

That's a tough one.

While I can agree that the unions have become corrupt in and of themselves, I do support the right for people to unionize to protect their rights.

The unions should only be able to protect worker's rights, and not play any part in affecting investigations of criminality.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
If the feds ignore this corruption, then we are essentially living in a police state and royally screwed. The justice system favors the elite authorities and the citizens are SOL.

I don't for a minute believe it's just a Chicago problem

It's a brave new world.....
edit on 26-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

While I can agree that the unions have become corrupt in and of themselves, I do support the right for people to unionize to protect their rights.

The unions should only be able to protect worker's rights, and not play any part in affecting investigations of criminality.

The issue is the public sector unions are, unlike their private counterparts, able to hold their employers hostage for vital public services and it permits rampant corruption, a la Chicago, to persist. Even some of the most ardent workplace organizers like Samuel Gompers recognized the fact that public unions are detrimental to the populace.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yah, why are they issued magazines with 16 round capacity anyway? To make sure "suspects" are dead, thats why.

It certainly could be that but it could just as likely be that the police have to deal with waste of flesh criminals that don't play by any ROE.

Please note I'm not defending or taking either side on this case it just seems like ATS seems to forget sometimes that their are violent criminals in the world.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The more I learn about this police shooting the worse it gets. What level of corruption and disgusting response from police and government officials. Alas it is par for the course in Chicago, a city long steeped in corruption, murder, and the destruction of individual rights.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join