It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ignorance of some people is amazing!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Hmm take your pick, "monster", "creature", "demon", "devil", "fiend", "wretch", and "it". All those are names for Frankenstein's creation, his Adam so to say... Although there are some schlock stories where the Creature does get a better revenge, by convincing one of the Doctor's associates to study the doctor's work and transplant the brain of the Monster and the Doctor then the creature learns it and the creature and the associate keep swapping bodies that way as the new bodies age. Leaving the real Doctor Frankenstein trapped within the body of the monster thus making the monster really Frankenstein but like I said that is pure Schlock not from source.

Though when it comes to Grimm's I prefer Bluebeard's locked room tale.

Something to Chew on while enjoying a C[__]

CoBaZ

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Didn't the monster end up naming himself Adam?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Since coming to ATS the word ignorance has just become " you don't agree with my perspective".

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Ignorance is not a bad thing.
But you cant fix stupid.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
That, or the Universal movie never having a name listed in the credits. Boris Karloff's role is listed as The Monster (the last I checked).

One of the later movies even comments on the practice.
I don't know which one I saw, but the Baron Frankenstein, complaining about the monster, begins to observe that people are even beginning to call the monster by his name. He doesn't complete the sentence, but that's obviously where he's heading.
(I'm pretty sure that he's in a train carriage at the time)

But surely some of the later movies also tolerate and encourage the ignorance, by using ambiguous titles like "Bride of Frankenstein".

edit on 26-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Skid Mark, this is the problem I have had with trying to have reasonable conversations on certain matters, ever since I was ten years old. There are people wandering the world who barely even understand the present well enough to comment on it, leave alone the initiating drivers which caused human beings to forge the history between the birth of civilisations, and the present day.

Many people barely look at the things which effect their own lives with any intensity or understanding, so matters more complex and remote? Forget it!

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I feel for you Skid.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Lol, another "everyone else is ignorant apart from us" thread.

MARY SHELLEY!

The beautiful talented wife of the equally talented major English Poet Percy Bysshe Shelley

"Mary Shelley was born on August 30, 1797, in London, England. She married poet Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1816. Two years later, she published her most famous novel, Frankenstein. She wrote several other books, including Valperga (1823), The Last Man (1826), the autobiographical Lodore (1835) and the posthumously published Mathilde. Shelley died of brain cancer on February 1, 1851, in London, England."

OP, I can say you are just as ignorant if I wanted to because I assure you I know LOTS more about English Literature than you will ever know.

Having studied English Literature at University and being an avid reader of poetry and the classics often puts me in the position of knowing more than my fellow man about English Literature. I don't call people ignorant. I just long to share what I know with them so they, too, can share in the knowledge.

Sorry to pour water on your fire, but that is what happens when you say mean things about others.

"Mary Shelley's original novel never ascribes an actual name to the monster; although the monster does call himself, when speaking to his creator, Victor Frankenstein, the "Adam of your labours" (in reference to the first man created in the Bible). Victor refers to the monster as "creature", "fiend", "spectre", "the demon", "wretch", "devil", "thing", "being" and "ogre".[2]"

I can vouch for Wikipedia's accuracy here having read the novel many times and studied it.

"Smart people don't think others are stupid" (Derek Sivers).

sivers.org...

edit on 26-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
It's the curse of the intellectual to deal with those who are not, I suppose.
How are you doing, by the way? Is your business restarted?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I am doing a little better.

I have indeed started a business to cover the loss of the old one, and have secured my livelihood by so doing.

I do however, require a significant amount of therapy... Finding the time for that will be the next priority.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Once met a woman who hated Greenpeace and all envionmentalists because they blew up that boat in New Zealand.......

There will always be people who are jaw droppingly ignorant. The scary bit is that there seems to be an awful lot of them these days. Now to be very controversial, there's a fair few here on ATS but we must be tolerant of differing opinions. Some things strain tolerance to the extreme though, like :

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Yes, but then people are ignorant. Being ignorant merely mean they are uneducated in the manner you (and I also having a Lit Degree) have had the opportunity to be educated.

There is a huge difference between being ignorant, being stupid and being willfully ignorant. The first only means you didn't know because you either weren't exposed to the knowledge for one reason or another. The second means you are genuinely unable to acquire the knowledge. The last means someone tried to educate you or you had the opportunity to acquire it and you chose to remain uneducated for one reason or another.

The last one is the real crime or sin against humanity if you will. It's really what we refer to when we talk about "don't be stupid!" And it, I think, is really what the OP is ranting against.

TL;DR - The first two I mentioned are not your fault and beyond your control. The last one is very much your fault.

edit on 26-11-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Education, in no way insures logic, sound judgement or common sense;

However in many cases it promotes arrogance, dumbass theology and a total lack of compassion.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Education, in no way insures logic, sound judgement or common sense;

However in many cases it promotes arrogance, dumbass theology and a total lack of compassion.

Once you have knowledge, you have to make up your mind what to do with it, how to apply it. At that point, it starts to get a good deal more subjective.

Ideology? Theology? Once we start talking about those, we're talking about subjective things. There are no hard and fast rules on right and wrong there that we're allowed to recognize from one to the other. The familiar refrain is "who are you to judge." And what some might call hard-hearted, others might call compassion and there are arguments to be found for both sides.

Arrogance? Lack of compassion? Again, those are also subjective. Look at the fragile little snowflakes on the college campuses these days. Some of them are protesting over things they can't even concretely name, only abstractly label - systemic discrimination, microaggressions, etc.

You can indeed know something. We all can, but when you start labeling the use others put it too, then you fall into the trap of starting to look like the kind of arrogant dumbass with a lack of compassion you accuse others of being.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
I'm glad that your business got restarted. I hope that you're able to find time for therapy and that it helps.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I agree that some are as dumb as a stump. However It does add to diversity for conversations. If we all knew everything to know, life would be boring... Just my thoughts Skid... Hope You are well... Syx...
edit on 26-11-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I remember seeing the movie "Titanic" in 1997 with the company I worked for at the time.
Some of our software was used in making the special effects for the movie.
After the movie we were having dinner and one of the ladies, from the marketing department no less, asked two questions.
"When did the Titanic Sink? Because I don't remember it happening in my lifetime"
and "How did they raise the ship from the bottom of the ocean to make the movie?"

I also had to explain to her what a Solar Eclipse was because she thought "Eclipse" was just a brand of car.

I've also meet people under 30 that have no idea who John Wayne was or what the Cold War was about, or that we even had one.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Thanks for the link...I enjoyed the read. I need to get my 12-year-old son to read the originals, especially if they do have the claimed therapeutic affects for anxiety claimed by Bruno Bettelheim.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Maybe we wouldn't have to worry about "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" if kids knew the Grimm versions instead of the fluffy Disney versions.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: EverydayInVA
No kidding. It would make them think twice about talking to strangers or getting in their cars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join