It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

NEWS: Michael Schumacher gives $10 million in tsunami aid

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Michael Schumacher, seven-time Formula One champion, will donate ten million dollars to the tsunami aid effort. The Farrari team driver, who owns virtually every record in Formula One, said that the magnitude of the suffering in Southeast Asia compelled him to make this donation. Schumacher's donation dwarfs that of some Middle Eastern countries.
 



www.reuters.co.uk
BERLIN (Reuters) - Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher is to donate $10 million (5.3 million pounds to help the victims of the South Asian tsunami, his manager Willi Weber says.

The donation from Schumacher was announced by Weber on a German television fundraising drive that on Tuesday evening received more than 34 million euros in pledges.

"It's so unfathomable and horrible what happened to so many people," Schumacher, who turned 36 on Monday, said in comments on his website. "One cannot simply blind it out. We're suffering with them."

The official death toll from the Asian tsunami on December 26 has climbed to around 150,000, with millions left homeless, hungry and threatened by disease.

Schumacher, driving for Ferrari, won his seventh F1 world title last year.




Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


Michael Schumacher's spectacular success at racing and his near machine-like performance has caused many to questions his humanity. The truth is that Schumacher is a devoted family man and a shrewd business man whose sportsmanship has always outshone his competitiveness. Surely now, no one could quesiton humanitarian ethic.

Related News Links:
motoring.iafrica.com
sports.espn.go.com
www.abc.net.au
www.newsonf1.com


[edit on 5-1-2005 by Banshee]




posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   


Schumacher's donation dwarfs that of some Middle Eastern countries


Grady, that's a great story. But, what's the point of the comment about this dwarfing the donation of some Middle Eastern Countries? Why diminish the value of anyone's contribution that way? It struck me as offensive and uncalled for.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Well, there are at least two reasons. One, to emphasize the magnatude of the donation and to point out that one man equalled or exceeded the donations of some very wealthy muslim nations and to perhaps put into pearspective the criticisms of the US's original figure of thirty five million.

Of course, every donation is important, even those who can only muster the "widow's mite."

[edit on 05/1/5 by GradyPhilpott]



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
A good example of how generous PRIVATE DONATIONS can be. This should also show that governments don't have to seize wealth for it to be used in a humanitarian way. NO REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH PLEASE!!!


I think that I make better choices with MY money than a government. And if I don't... it's MINE anyway!

Hey... Can anyone name something that a government has been more successful at than a private organization? (besides opression and corruption)

I wonder what the taxes in the U.S. would be on that 10 million dollars of earned income (assumed). He would probably get to take home 7 of the 10 million (3 million in taxes). That 3 million would NOT go to disaster aid, but to fund the MACHINE. So in theory the government is hurting donations by making them on our behalf (a stretch, but logically could work). Think of all the money Bill Gates has paid in taxes. I bet if he paid less taxes he would be that much more generous with the extra money he had from less taxes.

(U.S. NEEDS A CONSUMPTION TAX CONSUMPTION TAX CONSUMPTION TAX!!!)
Is there a thread on the FairTax act? If not, there should be!

Bottom Line... Absolute power corrupts absolutely.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
10 MILLION

Thats incredible, thats a truly staggering sum. A single donation like that is amazing.

GP is right, places like saudi arabia and other gulf states only donated 10 million. This is a guy who drives cars really fast for a living, and he was able to donate as much as an entire country that controls and sells a huge portion of the worlds oil. Its interesting that its the same amount and he doesn't need to be a jerk to note that.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
whats amazing, some of the famous western people make more money than many 3rd world countries, wheres all the "i just made 50m $ of my last album"
superstars?

They probably spent it al on coc aine and hookers.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
...wheres all the "i just made 50m $ of my last album"
superstars?

They probably spent it al on coc aine and hookers.


No, truth is, the big record companies keep around 90% of profits made from all major records sold and not returned. The other 10% usually gets divided amongst the production team, which includes the producer and artist (which is sub-composed of all band members, if they are part of the deal.) Some of what little money the artists make (relatively speaking) gets spent on lawyers/agents trying to negotiate them better deals. You guys ever hear the radio interview with Van Halen? Alex was on there saying that they really didn't make much money until they released their own record.

Nonetheless, great story, and Michael is da man. Undoubtedly the best Formula 1 driver ever. And a generous person too, as the article points out. Gotta love the guy.


[edit on 5-1-2005 by TrueAmerican]



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Its great he donated that much. But like the old saying "To whom much is given, much is expected". More of the "stars" in Hollywood need to step up too. Sandra Bullock gave $1m. Good on her also.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Wow. 10 million.

How much did Bush give again? Stingy Dubya.


Surf



posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by nukunuku
...wheres all the "i just made 50m $ of my last album"
superstars?

They probably spent it al on coc aine and hookers.


No, truth is, the big record companies keep around 90% of profits made from all major records sold and not returned. The other 10% usually gets divided amongst the production team, which includes the producer and artist (which is sub-composed of all band members, if they are part of the deal.) Some of what little money the artists make (relatively speaking) gets spent on lawyers/agents trying to negotiate them better deals. You guys ever hear the radio interview with Van Halen? Alex was on there saying that they really didn't make much money until they released their own record.

Nonetheless, great story, and Michael is da man. Undoubtedly the best Formula 1 driver ever. And a generous person too, as the article points out. Gotta love the guy.


[edit on 5-1-2005 by TrueAmerican]



oky, i meant all the actors, producers, capitalists............
you know the ones that have 2 much

i mean i dont personally care who gives what to who but if theyre trying to show how generous they are....well theyre not doing it

As for Schumi



posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It would have been nice if he did it privately and didnt release it to every news agency in the world as it looks like nothing more than a publicity stunt from him.



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join