It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the people be able to punish the elected people who abuse their power?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So i was talking with a friend, and he suggested that, the people from day to day, should be able to give a vote of confidence on the people voted in to power, and if at any time, 50% of the voters, feels betrayed by the person in question, they should be executed by hanging, at dawn the very next morning, in a public hanging in front of the white house.

Now, iam against the death penalty, but i actually think he is onto something here, people should be able to punish the corrupted in office
If you get voted in to office, promising to serve your country, its treason if your corrupted or lie to the people, that should be punished
The penalty for treason, is the death penalty

If the politicans can be punished by death, most of them would properly think twice before commiting treason, and if your only there to serve your country, you shouldnt have a problem with such a law

As i stated, iam against the death penalty, so i cant get behind this 100%, but I also believe a law like that, would help clean up a lot of corruption - anyways, i thought this was a really interresting proposal, and i wanted to hear what you guys think about this?

What would be the pros and cons with a law like this, and do you thing it would change things?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

I think the death penalty is a little extreme, but they should definitely face jail time for abusing power

I know in Canada they just step back and retire if they get busted, and they still keep their pensions

and whatever money they've stolen...

that daulton Mcginty guy should have been shot lol

jk jk

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Execution for a lack of public confidence seems overkill but deposition might be a good idea.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I think the death penalty is a little extreme, but they should definitely face jail time for abusing power

I know in Canada they just step back and retire if they get busted, and they still keep their pensions

and whatever money they've stolen...

that daulton Mcginty guy should have been shot lol

jk jk

I agree its extreme with death penalty, maybe life in jail?

Any less and i dont think it would work, they should NEVER be able to enjoy the "spoils of war", if you betray your country, especially when you do it under the premise to serve you country...

But i also think, it only would be the extreme cases, that this would happen, 50% of the voters, are a lot of people wishing you death, so you have to do something very wrong before that happens

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The only problem with what you are saying , there would only be app 11% of politicians left in office.There would be an overcrowding to the nth degree of the prison system as you would have to take in local, state , and federal office holders...

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Death might be a little...over the top, one might say.

I would say that instead, an individual sworn to office as a political leader in a nation should adhere to certain codes of conduct. Failure to comply with those codes of conduct, and a resulting vote by the public should see that they be stripped of their position, their worldly goods, deeds of title to any property they might own, and be forced to live amongst those they have wronged, at the thinnest end of the wedge. From near absolute power, to absolute destitution and powerlessness in an eye blink.

Their names should then be added to a roster, and that roster should be a roll call of individuals who are from the day of their addition to that tome, banned from ever taking any office, from ever gaining political power, and removing them entirely from any ability to affect political discourse outside their own households.
edit on 25-11-2015 by TrueBrit because: Spelling error removed.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
How would such a law be enforced?

You'd need some sort of independent, unassailable body to count the votes, try, convict and punish corrupt politicians since votes can be rigged.

As it is, they all seem to be above the current laws and judicial system which ought to be enough to nail at least some of them for their misdemeanours.

I've no objection to a Guillotine outside the government buildings of every country in the world, especially those who illegally invade other countries. But how do you ensure the guilty politicians get the chop (or any other suitable punishment for lesser offences than mass murder and treason) ?

edit on 25-11-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Yes, now go and spank Obama for being a naughty boy and Mr Cameron, too.

Are you actually raising the issue of dishing capital punishment out on the great washed?

Nah, I think it is better sending them off to bed early with no milk and cookies.

Or may be we could all have a voting app and we press a button yes and no. If the no buzzes too high a percentage each day then the heads must roll!

Cool, I like it. Let's design an app right away pronto.

The power of Caesar! We could call the app "Caesar"

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
If they have committed crimes like embezzlement, concealing official acts they are not allowed to conceal, etc...they should be tried. If confidence falls below 50 percent, there should be a move for a recall election or recall referendum.

edit: and 'confidence' should be another number than 'approval rating' polls. If the latter were used, every elected office holder would have recall referendums over and over.

edit on 25-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Execution for a lack of public confidence seems overkill but deposition might be a good idea.

I agree, if this was law, someone innocent would get killed by mistake, they love to talk trash about each other, and often their strategy is just to convinced they people that their oppenents are a bigger jerk than themself, and therefor should win the election - so thats a problem right there

But, an example of someone who would get punished by this law, could be a politican who takes money from a big pharma company, to pass a law that allow them to use an ingredient, that may kill or cripple the users of their medicine
A guy like that, could easily be the reason hundreds or even thousands of people dies or get hurt by this in a bad way, that would be worse than most serial killers, and they do get punished by death

So yes, properly overkill, but not all the time

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The only problem with what you are saying , there would only be app 11% of politicians left in office.There would be an overcrowding to the nth degree of the prison system as you would have to take in local, state , and federal office holders...

Iam affraid your right

I dont think a law like this would be the solution, but i do think the people in power should be hold accountable, for the things they do

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Death might be a little...over the top, one might say.

I would say that instead, an individual sworn to office as a political leader in a nation should adhere to certain codes of conduct. Failure to comply with those codes of conduct, and a resulting vote by the public should see that they be stripped of their position, their worldly goods, deeds of title to any property they might own, and be forced to live amongst those they have wronged, at the thinnest end of the wedge. From near absolute power, to absolute destitution and powerlessness in an eye blink.

Their names should then be added to a roster, and that roster should be a roll call of individuals who are from the day of their addition to that tome, banned from ever taking any office, from every gaining political power, and removing them entirely from any ability to affect political discourse outside their own households.

THAT i would get behind

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I say tar and feather the most of them, run 'em out of town on a rail. Then theres the stocks and rotten tomatoes in the town square and some prison time in the same places they been locking up millions of us for petty crimes.

People can file by and mock them so they don't get any rest.

For the upper echelon and their henchmen nothing is too good, depending on your movie culture. Ever see Naked Prey?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
How would such a law be enforced?

You'd need some sort of independent, unassailable body to count the votes, try, convict and punish corrupt politicians since votes can be rigged.

As it is, they all seem to be above the current laws and judicial system which ought to be enough to nail at least some of them for their misdemeanours.

I've no objection to a Guillotine outside the government buildings of every country in the world, especially those who illegally invade other countries. But how do you ensure the guilty politicians get the chop (or any other suitable punishment for lesser offences than mass murder and treason) ?

Your absolutely wright!
I never understood why it haves to be such a big secret who you voted, if you want to vote, you should stand by your vote, and everybody should show it of on facebook/twitter/social medias etc.
It wouldnt stop people from cheating, but if everybody you know voted for someone else, that the guy who won, something might be rotten, so it would make it harder. As it is now, it couldnt be easier to cheat with votes..

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Yes, now go and spank Obama for being a naughty boy and Mr Cameron, too.

Are you actually raising the issue of dishing capital punishment out on the great washed?

Nah, I think it is better sending them off to bed early with no milk and cookies.

Or may be we could all have a voting app and we press a button yes and no. If the no buzzes too high a percentage each day then the heads must roll!

Cool, I like it. Let's design an app right away pronto.

The power of Caesar! We could call the app "Caesar"

"Caesar" i love it!

I get going right away, though you should know, that if I made that app, i would just give myself 50% of the votes, become a politican, change lastname to bush, and destroy all competition when i run for office

But sadly, i dont know how to make apps...

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
If they have committed crimes like embezzlement, concealing official acts they are not allowed to conceal, etc...they should be tried. If confidence falls below 50 percent, there should be a move for a recall election or recall referendum.

edit: and 'confidence' should be another number than 'approval rating' polls. If the latter were used, every elected office holder would have recall referendums over and over.

Yeah, it would properly be chaos with a law like this, and MEDIA would properly have the final word in who gets punished and who doesnt. Popular opinions mostly comes from the TV

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan
So i was talking with a friend, and he suggested that, the people from day to day, should be able to give a vote of confidence on the people voted in to power, and if at any time, 50% of the voters, feels betrayed by the person in question, they should be executed by hanging, at dawn the very next morning, in a public hanging in front of the white house.

Now, iam against the death penalty, but i actually think he is onto something here, people should be able to punish the corrupted in office
If you get voted in to office, promising to serve your country, its treason if your corrupted or lie to the people, that should be punished

If the politicans can be punished by death, most of them would properly think twice before commiting treason, and if your only there to serve your country, you shouldnt have a problem with such a law

As i stated, iam against the death penalty, so i cant get behind this 100%, but I also believe a law like that, would help clean up a lot of corruption - anyways, i thought this was a really interresting proposal, and i wanted to hear what you guys think about this?

What would be the pros and cons with a law like this, and do you thing it would change things?

I have always held the belief that the powers that be are afraid of the mob mentality. No military power could protect politicians from the horde of people if they wanted blood. That is always why they try to divide the powers to keep people busy as to not attack the true problem.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I say tar and feather the most of them, run 'em out of town on a rail. Then theres the stocks and rotten tomatoes in the town square and some prison time in the same places they been locking up millions of us for petty crimes.

People can file by and mock them so they don't get any rest.

For the upper echelon and their henchmen nothing is too good, depending on your movie culture. Ever see Naked Prey?

Public humiliation would properly be more feared than death, and iam all in for tar and feathers, i would love to see that!!

Havent seen Naked Prey before, but it sounds interresting
Naked Prey

I will definitely check it out, thanks
Looks like those guys know how to deal with trouble makers

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Problem is, half the people won't agree no matter what.

1. You now have the right to a recall election of you can get your act together for that.

2. You can also indict a politician for crimes, which has been done many times. How many governors of Illinois are now in prison? Lots.

3. You can refuse to re-elect a person to office, effectively throwing him out.

But you want to hang them because of some trumped-up political B.S.? That's basically mob rule French Revolution style. Be my guess you wouldn't like a lynch mob coming for you.

It's an absurd, uncivilized idea and you have little support to do it. It's not going to happen.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

I have always held the belief that the powers that be are afraid of the mob mentality. No military power could protect politicians from the horde of people if they wanted blood. That is always why they try to divide the powers to keep people busy as to not attack the true problem.

Divide and Counger, still works like a charm

We are so divided, and we use labels all the time to divide us even further. Your either this or that, or that or this... I use to tell people the only label i need, is my name, iam one of a kind, and so are the rest of you

Guess we cant just blame the politicans either, with great power comes great responsibility, and if it is truly the voters who holds the power, we cant blame the people we vote for, because like you said, if we wanted blood/change, we could just do something about it, but its way easier to just vote for someone else, and hope they take care of the problems, like we always do, we´re to busy being divided
edit on 25 11 2015 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join