It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA Medical Center Reportedly Bans Christmas Trees From ‘Any Public Areas This Year’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This is really going too far in my opinion. A Christmas tree has absolutely nothing to do with the Christian religion and is only part of the secular holiday season. I mean, I don't really care, but I am not seeing the connection between the Bible and Christianity and a Christmas tree. If it makes you feel better call it a holiday tree, but religious it is not.

The veterans’ center, located in Salem, Virginia, purportedly said in the memo that staff members could only engage in ”private religious expression in their personal work areas that are not regularly open to the public” in an effort to be welcoming to all.

Source

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Got to agree with you on this one.

The "Christmas Tree" is actually a pagan tradition started in Germany, I believe. The evergreen thing - ya know.
One of my favorites is on a lonely stretch of back-highway just across the river - an evergreen sitting on the shoulder of the road, not apparently on anyone's "property" - and it gets decorated with baubles anonymously. Cheery.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Im with you on this one.

That seems very crazy and like a needless want to bug people.

The Christmas tree reminds me of snow and warm fires not of Jesus or his birthday, how the tradition started i dont know but thats all it is, a tradition. What does a turkey have to do with thanks giving? Nothing at all, its a tradition. In my opinion those people are crazy, i might understand if a dead or dieing tree being dragged in the house upset people who love trees and nature - at least that makes some sort of sense more than this noise.

Glad it got turned around.

edit on b3636832 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
What about Wreaths? They're like cute little round Christmas Trees...Are they banned too?

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

VA Hospital Reverses Ban

Officials at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Salem, Va., sent an email to employees last week banning Christmas trees in public areas, only to quickly reverse their decision after a backlash from veterans and employees.

The people spoke out (reasonably, IMO) and got results! I love to see things like this!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This is really going too far in my opinion. A Christmas tree has absolutely nothing to do with the Christian religion and is only part of the secular holiday season. I mean, I don't really care, but I am not seeing the connection between the Bible and Christianity and a Christmas tree. If it makes you feel better call it a holiday tree, but religious it is not.

The veterans’ center, located in Salem, Virginia, purportedly said in the memo that staff members could only engage in ”private religious expression in their personal work areas that are not regularly open to the public” in an effort to be welcoming to all.

Source

I see it as a secular holiday as well. But many people do not and connect the word Christmas, unsurprisingly, to the Christian holiday. Government property, no tree, if someone complains.

It would be nicer to have Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa decorations. Also ask other religions if they have any traditions in December/Early January that they would like to see represented. I organized decorations for the 3 holidays at work for several years and had a Friday where people brought in food. Yes, there is Kwanza food, I made it.
But it is up to policy at that government building.

edit: Nice to see it was reversed. Maybe no one did complain about the tree but I see they complained about absence of tree.
edit on 25-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

The "Christmas Tree" is actually a pagan tradition started in Germany, I believe. The evergreen thing - ya know.
One of my favorites is on a lonely stretch of back-highway just across the river - an evergreen sitting on the shoulder of the road, not apparently on anyone's "property" - and it gets decorated with baubles anonymously. Cheery.

Actually Buzzy, the "Christmas tree" goes back so far, we aren't even certain of its roots. No pun intended. It's even mentioned in the OT of the bible...
Jeremiah 10

2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

For once OP, I agree with you. I don't think a pagan Christmas tree at a public institution constitutes government support for the Christian religion.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

The Yule tree goes back thousands of years, it's even mentioned in the bible as a pagan tradition

Go figure, it's anti pagan government now as well

I see klassified beat me to it, Jeremiah hey, thanks

edit on 25-11-2015 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The christmas tree comes from the pine trees that often have Amanita Muscaria growing underneath.
This very psychedelic mushroom is red with white dots and is what the original shaman from Siberia dressed up as to deliver the dried mushroom through the chimneys of snowed in villages.
This is where we get Santa Claus and the Christmas tree from.
Found growing under the tree, this "present" is the body of God as in the original version of the Lord's Prayer where one eats the body of God itself to experience God.

Tune in and drop out.

LINK

LINKET

LINKY

Early Christian fresco depicting the Garden of Eden with the Amanita Muscaria as the tree of knowledge and the Forbidden Fruit.

edit on 25-11-2015 by NowWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
it doesn't matter that the tree actually is, all that matters is the mental association that people make by far and large.
and because of that the tree means the birth of that jesus fellow.
The fact that most of you say "it's a pagan symbol" means nothing.
If i say "Big yellow M" you don't think it's just a random big yellow M, you associate it inevitably with a certain fastfood chain.

That little rant aside, yeah banning it goes too far.
i can't wait to see what the world will be like in just a few years, we will probably see a ban on hugging in public...

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I used to work at a VAMC in San Diego County. Christmas was celebrated openly within the facility, as an American tradition. The majority of U.S. veterans recognize this holiday. Its cheer always brought extra warmth, giving, and smiling faces into otherwise extremely heartbreaking surroundings.

Not saying war is right, because it sure as hell isn't, but keep in mind, more often than not it's some poor proletariat kid who is ordered to make the most catastrophic sacrifice.

Vietnam American War Casualty Statistics
www.militaryfactory.com...

edit on 25-11-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Wow. Who could of possibly thought this was a good idea? This is a much different country then the one I grew up in..

What have we become
just look what we have done
All that we destroyed
you must build again..

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Read the thread. The VA reversed it's ban. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Good about time. Maybe spend the money on vets instead of decorations

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

They can just walk over to the zoo in Cincinnati and see a tree if they want to that badly

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
A note on the Establishment Clause:

As a public government operated building, the only grounds I see they have to ask that of their employees would be on this Clause because whether it is Pagan or Christian in nature the tree is seen by many to have some religious connection. If they publicly display only one religion's symbol are they establishing a positive endorsement?

I agree with reldra:

It would be nicer to have Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa decorations. Also, ask other religions if they have any traditions in December/Early January that they would like to see represented.

I don't mind any symbol a person might personally endorse, but the U.S. government has to be careful.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Read the thread. The VA reversed it's ban. www.abovetopsecret.com...

The fact they ever even considered it speaks volumes to me..

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: hubrisinxs

Yeah how about everyone just put up whatever they want, and everyone else just STFU..

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

How many truly people know the history or significance of the Christmas tree? I don't.

Kids see it as a tree where gifts are found. Conglomerates see it as a way to suck the money from your wallets.

It's a tree; but sometimes that tree is a beacon that can bring people together, however is a tree really necessary to celebrate as Bart Simpson once called it "the birth of Santa?"

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

There we go! Decision reversed. Ten bucks says that many people aren't going to read far enough in the thread to get to this and respond with something about the pc attack on Christmas or whatever. I guess the OP could update his OP if he still has time, but I'm still calling this anyways.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join