It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: We'll resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I want to move there. Have wanted to for a long time. To our Canadian members - you are fortunate to be a citizen there...one of the most decent nations on the planet. Congratulations to you as a country.

Canada: We'll resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees

Justin Trudeau's newly elected government has confirmed it will resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees in Canada within three months, giving top priority to those who are a lower security risk.

The plan as outlined prioritizes families and vulnerable individuals, including those from the LGBT community.

Single unaccompanied men will be excluded from the government resettlement program for now. However, government officials say those individuals can still apply to come to Canada through private sponsorship programs or could possibly be resettled through a government-sponsored program later in 2016.

"Through the rest of 2016, we will bring in more refugees," said Canada's Immigration and Refugee Minister John McCallum at a news briefing in Ottawa on Tuesday.

THIS is how a civilized Western country should be. Your new president (sorry - Prime Minister, I guess) is fabulous - and gives me hope that the USA will one day be more acceptable neighbors, having learned by watching. Thank you, O Canada for being a beacon of hope, peace, and common sense on this planet.

Honestly, most days it seems like the USA is the "troubled teen" of the Western world...(and in many ways, it is). Canada should be our mentor, and held as an example - in my opinion.

The Canadian government has launched an information campaign nationwide using the hashtag, #WelcomeRefugees. It is encouraging Canadians to donate, volunteer or even sponsor refugees.

Two recent polls conducted in Canada after the Paris terror attacks indicate that a small majority of Canadians oppose the plan to resettle refugees mainly because of security concerns.

How do you ATS Canadian members feel about it?

Despite that, every province in Canada has agreed to take in refugees and charity organizations have been inundated with offers from private citizens eager to welcome and help resettle refugees.

Canadian government ministers tasked with screening the refugees called this "a big humanitarian project" that represents the "best values and character of the country."

Good on your president, and good for you.

Would you sponsor a family? Are you afraid or negative about this? I honestly want to know. And one last question, only tangentially related:
Do you ever wish there was a giant zipper at the border and you could just unzip from the continent altogether and float away?

edit on 11/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: PM not President

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

So why not move there?

The very reasons you WANT to move there are the reasons I would not.

Strange world, right?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Indeed. I want to live in BC - and now that my children are grown and out on their own, I have only to convince my husband - not likely.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

So why not move there?

The very reasons you WANT to move there are the reasons I would not.

Strange world, right?

Dude, you live in Ohio.

Get off your soap box.

On topic:

I think this is a nice gesture by the Canadian government but I saw somewhere on fb that they were kicking military personnel out of their barracks to make room for the refugees which has angered many.

If true,bad handling of the situation by the Canadian government and will cause hate towards the refugees.

Maybe that's part of the plan?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Metallicus

Indeed. I want to live in BC - and now that my children are grown and out on their own, I have only to convince my husband - not likely.

I fell in love with British Columbia.

Looks like most of them are being placed on the east coast for now while they're being processed.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yep - my ideal spot would be Banff.

So - what is the best, most non-biased news source for Canada - anyone??

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Canada has 2 things . Same kind of politicians that exist in many places and lots and lots of land .The 25,000 will not happen quickly and will be a women and children first . I am hoping that the ones in the refugee camps that have been there from the beginning will get the first chance . Apparently there were phone calls made to the camps in Lebanon but the ones contacted declined the offer to come here . They are hoping to return and rebuild after the war stops . But yea ,lots of land here but there are few opportunities and I am not sure how the Govt. is going to address the work issues for Canadians let alone refugees ....time will tell though .....lets hope it works out for the best .

So - what is the best, most non-biased news source for Canada - anyone??

good luck with that and I am interested in the responses to it . I listen to CBC.CA but there are programs like the currents or as it happens that I find very well done . The standard news is usually same old same old regurgitation of Corporate News speak .
edit on 25-11-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Good luck, with that, you're going to need it Canada. History will judge if it is a wise move.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Sure, come on up , the weather is pretty nice. We are not afraid here . Most people I know personally are not concerned about a few refugees . We will take them in and help like we always do. I love our American brothers to the south but I find they are easily excited and your tv sucks, too much anger. We will see how our new Prime Minister and his crew hammer out the details of the acceptance of our new arrivals.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Hard to imagine widows and children and the vulnerable being dangerous.
The article says they get the priority.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: abigredneck

Thanks! It's only a pipe dream for me now - but one day I'll likely be a widow - and free as a bird. Is it a difficult process to come there to live? (Yeah, I can just look it up - and will do later...but it's preferable to hear from citizens directly.)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
We will see. Alot depends on what is actually planned, as opposed to helping out in small numbers.

This exodus of people is a very bad plan, foisted on the West to destabalize, by a very dark group of wanna be elite factions.

No one did this after the last world war. Its far too costly amongst other things. And dangerous for both the refugee and country.

Normally you send aid, and Syria for example, has some parts hijacked, with much of it not. They should have created safe passage to areas near the government and sent aid. Far cheaper.

However so far, this approach is better than other countries way of taking in various political refugees from many other places, not just Syria and Iraq, or those affected by Isil.
edit on 25-11-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The re-settlement of those refugees that come will spread throughout this huge country, winding up in small and large cities. There is plenty of room.

The problem will be in job placements since there will only be a period of 1 year that the government will offer financial help. Housing, although difficult to find, will be another choke point.

What I do see, however, is the willingness of communities to help in the task of seeing to the success of those who come.

Banff, I have to say, would be one of the most expensive places in Canada to buy a home, with prices for a modest dwelling in excess of a million CD, much like Vancouver. I have a son in Canmore, a 15 minute drive from Banff, and the average house price is $998,000.

Expect the refugees to settle in places where affordable housing is more in line with the Canadian average (around $450,000 or less). This would be in small cities and villages.

As far as Canadian news is concerned, there are a number of outlets which reflect a spectrum of political bias... the best way to get your information is to read a variety and come o your own conclusions. Personally, I enjoy CBC and CTV websites and do not buy print.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Holy Cow!!!

"Affordable" housing is $450k? Sheesh.
The home I live in I bought 15 years ago for $45,000. It's no mansion, but it's sturdy, and classy. I'd be lucky to get $80k for it now.

Thanks masqua! Never have looked at CBC - but I will do.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
nobody cares about canada or the illegal invaders

perfect match

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Everyone loves Canada and Canadians. Great country and great people.

Good job Canada!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I understand that many refugees don't want to be so far away from their homelands - hoping to go back and rebuild, I guess.

As for after WW2 - don't forget about Israel. The direct result of that mess.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

"Affordable" housing is $450k? Sheesh.
The home I live in I bought 15 years ago for $45,000. It's no mansion, but it's sturdy, and classy. I'd be lucky to get $80k for it now.
A property can be got for $35,000 to $50,000 easily in New Brunswick and probably other Provinces as well . It all depends on location, location ,location ......

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
OP. The sky must be as pink in Your world. Trudeau is a dink, just as his father was. We cannot afford to pay for these people and Turdeau knows it. Why do you think he pushed back the deadline to properly vet this bunch. If you like the guy so much, you can have him. His promises are infinitely expensive and he is doing all of this to look good on the world stage. The sooner we can vote this bunch out, the better.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Personally I think Trudeau is an idiot to entertain this action. First off, the government over the years has destroyed employment by allowing, even incentivising, corporate offshore job movement. Second, our central bank is owned by the IMF and therefore we are bleeding funds out of the nation to offshore nationals. Third, we have a 1.2 trillion dollar national debt to deal with, to said IMF. We have been inside incrementally increasing austerity measures for years. Now this assclown is going to burden the nation with hundreds of millions more in debt while employment drops and debt and austerity measures increase. Not to mention the idea that sponsorship by the "refugees" can lead to an increase in future terrorist migration.

Trudeau is an idiot, actually, just another spineless puppet, he's not in control.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join