It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Dog Killed By Sheriff's Deputies After Responding To Wrong Home

page: 1

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:30 PM

Richland County sheriff's deputies came to the Mcgregor's home based on a call from a woman who said she was attempting suicide.

But the caller hung up without giving her name or address.

So dispatcher sent deputies to a home they assumed the call was coming from.

To Tiffany and Lenny Mcgregor, Zeus was more than a family pet, he was like family.

"He sleeps in bed with the girls every night and he makes sure they get down the steps in the morning," Tiffany Mcgregor said.

Zeus was home alone this morning when Richland County Sheriff's deputies came to the family farmhouse in Lucas, looking for a woman attempting suicide.

“We don't even know the person they were looking for", Tiffany said.

According to this incident report, a deputy wrote, "I asked the dispatch how they knew this was the correct address. They advised they completed a trace to this address.”

That trace, the department says, was based in part on a billing address that matched the phone used the caller to 911.

What deputies didn't know at the time was the caller moved away.

As deputies entered the home they claim, Zeus began to "growl and become aggressive."

"I think they got scared and thought they needed to protect themselves I think they could have been tased instead of getting shot three times," Lenny Mcgregor said.

Deputies say they left the home. Their repeated calls to the dog warden went unanswered.

Hoping to save the women they thought was inside, they entered the house again, only this time, they said Zeus "aggressively charged" and a deputy shot and killed Zeus.

“The dog finally jumped on my son's bed and that's where he ended up dying," Tiffany said.

According to the sheriff's department based on statement inside their report, they don't believe the deputies violated any polices, under the law, law enforcement can enter a home without a search warrant if they believe there is a public threat in this case attempted suicide.

“He protected us, but we weren't here to protect him", Tiffany said.

They couple says they understand deputies were trying to do the right thing, now they want them to do right by them.

"They can never replace my dog he's like family but I would like them to take responsibility and replace the things they destroyed," she said.

The Mcgregors said when the one deputy fired his gun, it destroyed their upstairs heater which they would like replaced, along with a bed and carpet soaked with blood.

Stories like this just make my blood boil.

I don't know what the hell is going on with our LEO's here in the US, but it seems like almost everyday I'm reading about warrant-less killings, being human or family pet and it's starting to stress me out. I try so hard to stay positive and support the folks that put their lives on the line to do the jobs they do but FFS man, it's getting harder and harder every day.

OF FREAKING COURSE the dog is going to act aggressive when 3 strange people invade his and his families territory. That's basic animal instinct. Humans are no different. This is not going to ever change. What can change is how these situations are handled. The fact that 3 grown men can't subdue a medium to large size dog without the use of deadly force is mind boggling to me.

I'm just going to stop here for now as its late and i'm just starting to knee-jerk rant at this point. I keep deleting what I'm writing as it's not making much sense right now. I need to sleep on this and will pop in later once I can comment when I'm a little more level headed about it.

For now, have at it ATS.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:47 PM
This is the kind of # that makes me rage. I would most likely die in a gunfight if this happened I my house.

a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:48 PM
I have ultimate respect for LEO's but enough is enough and my dog is beyond family.

a reply to: Sheridan91s

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:52 PM

My dogs would also be dead as they would take any unauthorized presence as a direct threat to the homestead. What dog wouldn't?

I have nothing but disdain for these officers.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:14 PM
I had a situation a few years back where I opened the door to a deputy with my 45 in battery and ready position. He was inquiring about a neighbor but parked in the neighbors drive. Beat the hell
Out of my door and failed to I'd himself as a LEO. GOLot the surprise of his life with a laser painting hit face when I eased door open. Was I in the wrong. No sir. No mam.

a reply to: NewzNose

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:16 PM
No emergency lights. Pretty sure he soiled himself with that big ole bore about 12 inches from his eyeballs.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:18 PM
Hammer back and a two pound trigger. Boy was lucky. I was calm. Stupid # gets people killed.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 12:20 AM
I have a suggestion I don't think has ever been made, just popped in my head, and is genius in my opinion.

Have specialized officers trained to deal with dogs in these situations.

Dogs are instinctive and the commotion caused by the police anytime anywhere will get them on edge. Same as when firefighters or paramedics come into a home, the dogs FREAK OUT. This isn't a rare or random occurrence. It almost literally is every dog, every time will react that way.

I would have no problem if my taxes are used to create a "Domesticated Animal Expert" position, or something along those lines.

*Or create a proper program all LEO could take with the incentive of a small raise.

edit on 25-11-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 12:24 AM
now, on tv in the old would see how they would allow for dog to be put in a if they expect normal guard dog situation will be encountered 90 % of the time.....I wonder what changed.....Nope, I know.....just make peace with God

Were going for a ride here
Have no fear of what you may see happening as if it was strange or out of bounds.....( that my friends is Holy Scripture )
edit on 25-11-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:10 AM

Why the hell are you answering the door with a gun in your hand, much less "hammer back and a 2 lb trigger" and pointing at the visitor, when all they did was knock?

Stupid # gets people killed.

Yes, it does.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 01:10 PM

in hinds sight, thank god that suicidal woman was not at the location. i bet there was a 90% chance she would have died.

the people sent to help suicidal persons, are the cause for death too often. Now that suicidal woman has another chance at life and hopefully get the help she needs, all thanks to LEOs going to the wrong address. Sad.

still though, go to save a life, and take one in the process.... i wonder how kids can outrun dogs and grown men can only pull a gun a shoot '3' times to take down an older dog. remarkable. worst case scenario a mild punch or sweep kick can send a dog to a corner crying.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 01:17 PM
And the technology exists to see through walls and fly drones around looking into high windows......

It could have been determined that there was nobody in the house and the dog which was only doing what dogs do would not have been killed.

If people were not so afraid these technologies would be abused, and they will be, absolutely, they could have been used for the right thing in this instance for once.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
a reply to: DAVID64

Where I live I wouldn't have had a .45 for somebody banging the hell out of my door. I'd have a 12 GA. pump.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:22 PM

A sad story. There were 3 cops. How hard would it be for one to subdue the dog and the other two to enter? It's a dog, even a big dog can be pinned down fairly easily, even if it took two that would leave one to find the woman.

top topics