It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My green lady

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

that sounds like a lot of work. what if there was a way to make a normal supersonic turbine out perform a ramjet, and with out the usage of things like boron?

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

that sounds like a lot of work. what if there was a way to make a normal supersonic turbine out perform a ramjet, and with out the usage of things like boron?

In the 1960's boron based fuels were all the rage for rocket engines. A test of a jet resulted in an embarrassing failure because the engineers did not take boron oxide formation into account. Newer jet fuels were developed that had other important properties, such as heat dissipation, and higher densities. Look up the fuel for the Mig 25 for an example.

I think that the problems with Boron were determined to be not worth the complexity of using carboranes as a fuel.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

That be great,but what else burns that shade of green? COuld they use something else but put something of a "octane booster" in th e mix?

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Can't remember too much now but during Development of the Typhoon I am sure there was a canister of some fuel additive which was used to relight the turbine after a flam out or stall or whatever, we were doing envelope expansion.

I didn't work on that system so have no idea if it's standard fit or whether it would take much re9-engineering to have a similar fuel injected.

However, I wouldn't think the green stuff would go through the turbines like this fuel, surely someone can correct me but if you were rotating a turbine for Mach 4 or something the RPM would be too high? So it would need a buy pass.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

I think its safe to say that there is SOMETHING emitting a green light that persists for a short time along the flight path of this aircraft.

Another safe assumption is that there is a light on said craft to disrupt night vision equipment and maybe even targeting systems of missiles.

The boron oxides left in the exhaust stream would make a convenient projection platform to send this light threw, as it would leave a streak of light to confuse observers and missiles.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
However, I wouldn't think the green stuff would go through the turbines like this fuel, surely someone can correct me but if you were rotating a turbine for Mach 4 or something the RPM would be too high? So it would need a buy pass.

You really wouldn't want turbines or compressors at Mach 4. Really we hit that sort of wall with the SR71 where it was at the end of turbojet's usefulness, and the start of a ramjet's operating window. At that point the flow has so much speed that you can do all the compression you need using speed alone, no need for turbine or compressor machinery. But this compression process generates a lot of heat, and engines do better with colder air in, hotter air out. Not so different from a cold-air intake on a car. Then you start getting to where scramjets are what you need because they don't have to slow down the flow to subsonic speeds to work correctly. The more you have to slow down the air for the engine to work, the more heat you put into it and the worse your engine performs. Less slowdown, less heat, better performance.

If you were running a ramjet, keep in mind you would not have sensitive machinery to get sandblasted by additives. The engine would still need to be wearproofed, but you would be facing a task order of magnitudes simpler than armoring up turbomachinery. Part of me wonders if you could take a standard turbojet and use it for the basic stuff, and then for higher speeds just bypass the turbo and use internal geometry to form a sc/ramjet. You would be devoid of a way to light the fuel because you will have isolated the ignition chamber between the compressors and turbines, but perhaps our green firey friend can help with that.
edit on 11/27/2015 by Darkpr0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkpr0

originally posted by: Forensick

You really wouldn't want turbines or compressors at Mach 4. Really we hit that sort of wall with the SR71 where it was at the end of turbojet's usefulness, and the start of a ramjet's operating window. At that point the flow has so much speed that you can do all the compression you need using speed alone, no need for turbine or compressor machinery. But this compression process generates a lot of heat, and engines do better with colder air in, hotter air out. Not so different from a cold-air intake on a car. Then you start getting to where scramjets are what you need because they don't have to slow down the flow to subsonic speeds to work correctly. The more you have to slow down the air for the engine to work, the more heat you put into it and the worse your engine performs. Less slowdown, less heat, better performance.

Suppose one could increase the speed of sound of the fluid inside a ramjet device?

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
Suppose one could increase the speed of sound of the fluid inside a ramjet device?

There already exist ways to do this, though not many of them are under our direct control. You can affect the speed of sound in air using factors like humidity, pressure, temperature and whatnot. Humidity is not so large a deal, but pressure and temperature vary greatly across and aircraft, particularly in an engine.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
So your dealing with the government here. The engine self destructs at maybe 40 hours of high speed flight but that 40 gets 500 hours normal flight distance. You just put in a new engine after 40 hours of high speed flight. Money is no object.

Just a thought

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
So your dealing with the government here. The engine self destructs at maybe 40 hours of high speed flight but that 40 gets 500 hours normal flight distance. You just put in a new engine after 40 hours of high speed flight. Money is no object.

Just a thought

You do got a point. Since its just one aircraft most likely its prolly easier to make engines for it curently and sinc e the budget is black... th e skys th e limit(pun intended)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkpr0

I like your theory, it would make a lot of sense as it has been hinted that the green lady has a fast mode, and GTFO mode. That could be why its only green during GTFO

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Don't you think that the green color can be made by the skin of the craft insteed of the engine ?

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
My thought was the engine can go thousands of hours at normal flight speed but the green bug juice has a life of say 40 hours. Just thinking. The green might be part of the engine sacrificing itself for speed??

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

If that were the case then why use it over the Continental US or allied countries as seen by many witnesses.

What ever emits the green is used for a large duration of the flight.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

old school seeding alkali?

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

a reply to: Sammamishman

old school seeding alkali?

You leaving?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
May be the green Lady is born on the dead of the Blackswift demonstrattor cancelled in 2008 ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join