It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ark of the Covenant in Axum

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm new so I apologize if this topic is recycled and if so, can someone please post the link to the old thread. Anywho, I'm sure a lot of you are aware of the theory that the Ark is being held in that Church in Axum, Ethiopia and guarded by one unarmed priest. Apparently it's like in a room behind a curtain and only he can go in there. Now, isn't it appalling that there haven't been attempts to break into there? Probably the most important discovery ever in my opinion could just be sitting behind a curtain and there's just a gate and an unarmed priest. I know ethically it's wrong to do something like that and you are possibly messing with God himself, but a lot of people don't care about that and would do anything to see if it exists. Also, do you suppose their law about no one else allowed in really applies to everybody? Would they turn away the Pope himself? How does the guard get chosen and why do they feel privileged to hold the rest of the world in confusion about the existence of a God? I also imagine that people must periodically at least get through the gate to do yardwork or whatnot. I think there should be more serious attempts to find out what's in that Church. What all does everyone know about the Church, the Guard, their policies, and everything? Christ, I'm asking a lot of questions but the idea that the Ark could just be sitting in there is blowing my mind.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by slacker2788
Now, isn't it appalling that there haven't been attempts to break into there? Probably the most important discovery ever in my opinion could just be sitting behind a curtain and there's just a gate and an unarmed priest. I know ethically it's wrong to do something like that and you are possibly messing with God himself, but a lot of people don't care about that and would do anything to see if it exists. .

I've heard that too. Yes it blows my mind too that it 'may' be sitting there unguarded in Ethopia. (Remember, we don't know it's there for sure.)

But why would you think its APPALLING that nobody hasn't broken in there and taken it by force? I would think it would be appalling if someone had.

Those that don't believe in the Ark really wouldn't care one way or the other if it's there.
Perhaps those that do believe have an element of respect and awe that it's there and feel it should be left there.
And those that believe the Ark exists but isn't there, arent gong to overpower an unarmed priest and defile his sanctuary just to prove a point.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Actually there was a show on the History channel about the Ark some time ago this year. Basically, they tried tracing the travels of the Ark from biblical references to where its supposedly claimed to be which is in Axum.

On the show it was noted that in Pharoah's time, the Egyptians had arks as well and would hold ark festivals for them. Question is, were they the same thing or similar in nature? UFO/religion nuts could go crazy digging around for that info.

Currently now there is a small fortress surrounding the building which houses the Ark. And there are lots of gun toting guards keeping a constant watch. If you could scale the fence, you would be shot dead before hitting the ground. The camera crew was not allowed within the gates.

The men in charge of watching the Ark have to choose their members carefully. They say if they choose someone with an impure heart, the Ark will kill them. They say they have lost a few that way, or when a few got too close. Apparently, they must maintain a respectable distance away or die. The most chilling thing that was said was, when one of the chosen keepers of the Ark was asked to describe it, he said that it was the most "terrible thing" to behold. Not exactly the kind of thing you would expect to hear from someone guarding an artifact of God.

If it can kill as stated, then you won't be able to get anyone in there to see it or much less steal it. The guards just make doubly sure that it ain't gonna happen.

Its not Area 51, so maybe someone should send in a tiny remote controlled camera and see what's behind curtain number 1.

Who knows, maybe its probably a fusion driven alien computer core that's low on power, and waiting for a recovery team to come get it. It tolerates only select and limited human contact that won't disturb it.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The building where the Ark of the Covenant is kept.

The Ark should look something like this according to the Bible.

The Ark of the Covenant

The Ark of the Covenant was crucial to the success of the Exodus of Moses. It was not just a ceremonial figurehead, it was used as a weapon and a source of food (It is thought to be the source of the manna.).

At the moment it is located at the Ethiopian Orthodox St. Mary of Zion Church in Aksum -- a holy city 623 km. north of Addis Ababa.

Comment: Pictures of the Church in axum should be helpful to those who want to further research this location. One would think that more people would visit the area, although it is mountainous and you would want to travel there in a small plane. I am sure many people here have watched the Indiana Jones movies, including one about the Ark. The topic is religious, and part of popular culture. Perhaps many people think about it as giving righteous people spiritual power.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think any interested people would either believe that it could not possibly be in Ethiopia so don't even bother checking out that story, or are frightened of it. The Ark is the most mysterious object in the Bible by far. It was above the Ark that God himself appeared/materialized to talk to Moses/others. It killed someone who touched it just to keep it from falling when being transported. It was stolen by the Philistines who put it in their pagan temple and it wrecked havoc and brought plagues there and they ended up giving it back. It certainly is a powerful, terrible, and holy object. I'm sure there are a lot more stories, these are all I can remember off the top of my head. Personally I believe God will reveal the location of the true Ark and it will be brought back to Jerusalem and the third temple will be built to house it someday.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Other than the link provide by SkipShipman, you folks are aware that this claim of the AoC being located in Axum is the brain-child of Graham Hancock. His findings and research into the resting place of the AoC is covered in his book: The Sign and the Seal.

Despite his findings, let it be known that there are multiples of theories surrounding just where the AoC is at. IMHO, of all that I have read, Mr. Hancock's findings and research are the most indepth of all that I have seen and read.

seekerof

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
``

-- one of three theories cited on this page --

is that King Josiah, in the First Temple era,
being aware that the Babylonia Invasion was coming,

according to a midrash, undertook to bury the AoC
deep in the Temple Mount

see: www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Currently now there is a small fortress surrounding the building which houses the Ark. And there are lots of gun toting guards keeping a constant watch. If you could scale the fence, you would be shot dead before hitting the ground. The camera crew was not allowed within the gates.

Yep.

Personally, I think this is the likeliest place, given the research, if it truly still exists.

My personal theory though, is that the ark houses highly radioactive meteorites (given the descriptions in the bible of it's effects) and that some of these effects were exaggerated over time. My guess is that it has lost most of it's potency, but that it can still affect others.

Think about it, pieces of stone that glowed in the dark, radiation burns, etc. Who at the time WOULD'NT think that it was the fragments of the stone tablets given to Moses by God??? Truly they would have been deemed magical.

This may also be why lead was said to be used in the construction. They may have learned of lead's shielding from it accidentally, and then at that point conceived of it as a weapon.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I agree, it's much more likely that the Ark is still in the temple mount, buried right underneath the Holy of Holies, so it's still in the spot it's supposed to be in, so it doesn't even technically have to be recovered or moved to consecrate the new temple if it is built.

The late Ron Wyatt claimed that the Ark is in a cave under the hill on which Jesus was crucified and the earthquake which occured afterwards cracked the ground and allowed the blood of Jesus to drip down and fall upon the Ark's mercy seat, the final blood sacrifice...but I don't find the claims credible. Here's the link: www.arkdiscovery.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
My personal theory though, is that the ark houses highly radioactive meteorites (given the descriptions in the bible of it's effects) and that some of these effects were exaggerated over time. My guess is that it has lost most of it's potency, but that it can still affect others.

Think about it, pieces of stone that glowed in the dark, radiation burns, etc. Who at the time WOULD'NT think that it was the fragments of the stone tablets given to Moses by God??? Truly they would have been deemed magical.

Interesting theory, but how would that explain the deaths it inflicted on someone by touching it (not opening it) while leaving others nearby unharmed?

/* Edit to add */

Also, the Ark's effect on the Philistines doesn't seem to be explainable by the presence of nuclear radation...
From 1 Sam 5:

1 After the Philistines had captured the ark of God, they took it from Ebenezer to Ashdod. 2 Then they carried the ark into Dagon's temple and set it beside Dagon. 3 When the people of Ashdod rose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD ! They took Dagon and put him back in his place. 4 But the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD ! His head and hands had been broken off and were lying on the threshold; only his body remained. 5 That is why to this day neither the priests of Dagon nor any others who enter Dagon's temple at Ashdod step on the threshold.

However this part may support the argument:

... 10 So they sent the ark of God to Ekron.

���As the ark of God was entering Ekron, the people of Ekron cried out, "They have brought the ark of the god of Israel around to us to kill us and our people." 11 So they called together all the rulers of the Philistines and said, "Send the ark of the god of Israel away; let it go back to its own place, or it [c] will kill us and our people." For death had filled the city with panic; God's hand was very heavy upon it. 12 Those who did not die were afflicted with tumors, and the outcry of the city went up to heaven.

[edit on 1/5/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Interesting theory, but how would that explain the deaths it inflicted on someone by touching it (not opening it) while leaving others nearby unharmed?

Hence the exaggerations perhaps? I believe there is something about hair falling out too, if I recall correctly, as well as the burns without fire, and of course, as you mentioned, the tumors...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
So there is actually a bunch of armed guards surrounding that temple? I wonder why they wouldn't want to reveal the ark in order to confirm religion. Does anyone think they would at least let in the Pope to see it? I figure that there is one of three possible scenerios. 1 - The ark truly is sitting in that temple. 2 - There is only a fake or nothing at all and the Ethiopian priests are lying to the world, which isn't too likely in my opinion. 3 - The Ark is a fake that they THINK is real, but an ex-guard claims that it shakes and stuff when you go near it so they would probably know it's a fake. I wonder if the Priest lives in the temple, spends time near the Ark, how he eats and everything, and who built the temple and gate around it and everything.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I have read a lot more into this claim. Apparently, the ark used to be brought out for festivals a few years back, so why didn't anyone happen to have a camera?! Christ, a festival with the true Ark and no one takes a picture! Again, although no political leaders are even allowed into the temple, what about the Pope? Surely the Ethiopians, even though they are not Catholic, must have respect for the hierarchy of Christianity. Of course, wouldn't all these other people have seen the Ark when it used to be in the Church itself or brought out for festivals? What would the point be then of hiding it now?

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
They said that when it was brought out for festivals, it was well wrapped in sheets of cloth, so I doubt even if a picture existed it would tell us anything. Also, I read most churches in Ethiopia have some type of Ark reproduction as they feel any church is unconsecrated without one.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
There are three popular theories about what happened to the Ark of Covenant: the first one says that it was stolen by the Babylonians when Nabucodonosor II defeated the Jews and pillaged the city of Jerusalem in 587 BC. The Babylonians were later defeated by the Persian king, Kyros, who allowed the Jews (or at least those of them who had been held in Babylon as hostages) to return to Jerusalem and rebuild their temple (538 BC). When the Second Temple was consacrated in 515 BC, there's no mention whatsoever about the Ark being taken back to its traditional seat, so it was probably lost in the period between 587 and 538 BC. The second one says that the Ark was probably already lost when the Babylonians pillaged the city: it was probably taken by one of the many army who pillaged Jerusalem between the kingdom of Amri (878-871 BC) and the aforementioned Babylonian invasion (587 BC). The third one is a Falash� (Ethiopian Jewish) tradition, and is a little bit of a fable: after Solomon died (traditionally in 926 BC) and his kingdom was split between Jude and Israel, the Ark was stolen and taken to Ethiopia. The perpetrator of this "crime" is reckoned to be the illegitimate son of Solomon and the Queen of Sheeba, who recieved a message form God himself to take the relic to Ethiopia for "safekeeping": the operation was made possible by the assistance of various angels, who put the guards and the high priests into a deep slumber and even gave the son of Salomon a replica of the Ark to be put in the temple. Of course legends do not tell why the angels didn't simply take the Ark themselves and flew it over to Ethiopia... All subsequent legends and traditions, even Hancock's are, are based on this traditional tale. The Kings of Ethiopia (both Jewish and Christian) have always boasted to the "guardians of the Ark" and the holy relic has been called upon in times of crisis (for example, the crushing defeat inflicted by the Ethiopians upon the Italians at Adua in 1896 has long been attributed to the Ark's powers). There's one curious particular however: when the Italians occupied Ethiopia between 1936 and 1941 they apparently didn't care about the Ark or didn't even know it was supposed to be there. It is strange: in 1929 Fascist Italy had signed a pact with the Vatican giving them all kinds of privileges in return for an official sanction for their regime. The Vatican has had an Ethipian College for centuries and it's strange that they didn't know anything about this Ark traditions...

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I recall reading somewhere that the Massad (sp) ran a mission to Ethiopia to reclaim the Ark years back. They had Levite priests with them that held the Ark off the floor in the aircraft during the return flight to Israel. They do not officially admit to having it because if they did it would cause further tension by adding to the movement to rebuild the temple on the temple mount where the Dome of the Rock exists.
Since then the Church of Ethiopia will not allow anyone to see the Ark except the one care taker that is elected to do so. This would make sense because admitting their loss of the Ark would be a great blow to their church.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
I recall reading somewhere that the Massad (sp) ran a mission to Ethiopia to reclaim the Ark years back. They had Levite priests with them that held the Ark off the floor in the aircraft during the return flight to Israel. They do not officially admit to having it because if they did it would cause further tension by adding to the movement to rebuild the temple on the temple mount where the Dome of the Rock exists.
Since then the Church of Ethiopia will not allow anyone to see the Ark except the one care taker that is elected to do so. This would make sense because admitting their loss of the Ark would be a great blow to their church.

Fascinating. I found out more about this theory on the web:

"I received reports from three sources, Canadian, Ethiopian and Israeli, that claimed the Ark was secretly returned to Israel during the violent closing days of the Ethiopian Civil War some thirty months ago. As the Israeli Mossad agents prepared to fly thousands of Ethiopian Jews home to Israel they were forced to bribe the Ethiopian officials to allow them to free their Jewish brothers. As the victorious northern army closed in on the capital, the evil communist officials of the defeated government demanded millions in bribes from Israel before they fled to wealthy exile Switzerland. As the last twenty thousand black Jews of Ethiopia began to fly to Jerusalem, the Israeli cargo planes landed every few minutes in Addis Ababa to pick up another load of Ethiopian Jewish refugees.

"Three credible sources independently told me the same fascinating story. For years, since the rebirth of Israel, the Mossad and Jewish religious authorities tried to negotiate the return of some priceless Jewish relics from the underground temple in Aksum, Ethiopia, including the Ark of the Covenant. Apparently, the corrupt Ethiopian officials demanded a secret bribe of an additional $42 million from Israel to permit them to take the Ark of the Covenant home. The reports claim that a special team of trained Levites carried the Ark with the staves in the prescribed manner into an unmarked cargo plane. They said the Levites carried the Ark on their shoulders while supported with leg braces during the long flight because they would not set the Ark down. My sources claim the $42 million paid to the crooked officials turned out to be counterfeit money. Israel took $42 million in real currency and gave it to the incoming democratic government of Ethiopia. Since the outgoing dictatorship left the treasury without a penny, this $42 million was the only money the new government had to begin its operations. My sources told me the Ark is now held in a secret location in Israel waiting for the rebuilding of the Temple. Is this credible? I can only tell you that my sources are credible, one of them a Christian former Canadian diplomat. However, their reports are based on information given to them by others. Only time and the final appearance of the Ark of the Covenant in the Third Temple will reveal the truth.

Amazing if true.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I told my dad that I read they won't even let the Ethiopian president see the Ark and he said that they must not understand that the president can go anywhere he wants. May I pose my question about whether they would let the Pope in or not a third time? Heh, it is just bugging me. I mean, I know that he's Catholic like me and the guardians are Eastern Orthodox, but they should still respect the hierarchy within the unified Christian Church. Surely the guard would think that the Pope is worthy to see the Ark.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by slacker2788
I told my dad that I read they won't even let the Ethiopian president see the Ark and he said that they must not understand that the president can go anywhere he wants. May I pose my question about whether they would let the Pope in or not a third time? Heh, it is just bugging me. I mean, I know that he's Catholic like me and the guardians are Eastern Orthodox, but they should still respect the hierarchy within the unified Christian Church. Surely the guard would think that the Pope is worthy to see the Ark.

I doubt it. They would probably look on the Pope as they would any Catholic priest or Catholic layperson. Why would they consider him any different? As a protestant myself, I don't see the Pope as having any special relationship to God above that of any other Christian person.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Just throwing something out there. A government would not have armed guards protecting a church normally, would it? That is of course, unless the church had something of value to looters. Hm. Two theories:

1) The ark is there.
2) A replica is there made of real gold.
3) There are other materials of high value there.

My guess is #2. Reason is, if you type on the web 'church Axum', you get a boat-load of travel, touristy things like "Come see the Ark!" Hmmm... Maybe the guards are there to enhance the tourist's experience.

In either case, one does not need the arc to worship God. If you need to see the ark to believe in God, then I think you're missing the point.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by saint4God]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join