It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's discuss the reality of the ADHD mind...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Nice analogy. I also have adhd and am a nasty, overwhelmed and impulsive, B without Adderall. My daughter takes Vyvanse, which she says is much better but my insurance doesn't cover it for "adult" use.

For those who think add/adhd isn't real, it is. I wish those folks could live for one day with my unmedicated brain...The only good thing about it is I believe the adhd is what gives me my smarts. Tested at 15 and found out that I have a genius level IQ, that I should've gone to a better school or should've been put into the most difficult classes, etc. High school was THE WORST for me. It just sucked.

Teachers treated me like poop because I didn't give AF, I didn't do my work, etc. because I wasn't interested in any of it. Nowadays, things I think are a little better for kids in school...

We ALL have it in my family. Myself, my daughter and all my nieces/nephews. My sister and brother do not have it, which is weird. At least they're not diagnosed.

Some of the people I know with higher IQs get frustrated and bored easily when dealing with people and school. That is not really ADHD. You just need to learn how to control it and learn to have patients instead of bitching at the idiotic designer ofseat belts in the car because you can't pull out the seat belt to buckle it.

Oh sorry, I was just reminiscing about today's event

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
If I understand it correctly, certain types of food, or ingredients, affect your mood or body?
I'm interested on several ways.
I've not been diagnosed with anything medically and haven't, consciously, noticed changes in my behaviour or body after eating anything, besides obvious food poisoning of course, which anyone can notice.
Is this related to any kind of behaviour change that is known?
I've heard of sugars and artificial colourings affecting children with ADHD.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I remembered this comparison of what it feels like to be ADHD and have angry outbursts:

imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - and someone is asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

It's not uncommon for ADHD Children, upon losing a computer game, to throw controllers or objects, stomp, scream, or behave in a way that tells us they are very upset. As a parent or teacher, we are shocked at their overreaction to such a minor situation. To see it from the viewpoint of an ADHD Children - imaging trying to thread that needle for 30 minutes - then accidentally dropping the needle overboard. We'd have a few choice words or a bit of behavior problem as well.

ADHD Link

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917
I can relate to given example, however is this abnormal in any way?
Isn't this a description of a certain level of frustration, that one hasn't learned to deal with yet?
Maybe if I don't get it, it doesn't apply to me, but I'm still interested in the origins of said condition, because it is commonly diagnosed nowadays.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

its sad that they use a real brain disorder to drug kids that dont need it. if i were you i would drop the drugs and just embrace yourself, the ones that made those pills are not your friend.
edit on 24-11-2015 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2015 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

I have suspected that I have the whole ADHD thing.....just never wanted to admit it.

I've succeeded far enough where I don't feel that I need help with living day to day

BUT,

I'm not as confident as I use to be when it comes to this issue.

WTF do I do for help exactly?

I hate the idea of taking a pill everyday....I actually hate it more than words can express....

What are the natural options to dealing with this #? ARE there any natural options? Am I just screwed for life?

I don't want to take drugs...I just want to feel okay....every damn day without chemical assistance.

It's hard, but try an all natural diet (as much as possible anyway). No boxed foods (hamburger helper, mac n cheese, etc)-they all have hydrogenated oil in them - BAD! Stay away from sugars and preservatives. No processed meats (lunch meats, hot dogs, etc.). Organic meats only. Fresh fruits and veggies-NOT CANNED (but frozen are usually o.k.)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Please explain why this can have such an effect on some, while not in others, unless I'm missing something here because of it ( in case which I would really want to know)
I'm not trying to prove otherwise, I'm just uninformed.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

its sad that they use a real brain disorder to drug kids that dont need it. if i were you i would drop the drugs and just embrace yourself, the ones that mad e those pills are not your friend.

Where is the real docholiday?

IMPOSTER

edit on 24-11-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
you got the toxicity sweat as much as possible. how we get the pesticides heavy metal overload out our system. run around jumping Jack's trampoline infrared vitamin d 123 gotta keep moving.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Anyways... I've had some genuine questions here. Goodnight to everyone and I'll check back later.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I eat healthier than most progressive liberal californians.

My diet isn't the issue.

My thought processes are just different from most.

You think I don't wish I could shut it down?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tyrion79
Those are alot of issues being diagnosed there, do you really feel these are accurate?
I'm being serious and not trying to ridicule.

Yes they are accurate I've resisted treatment for years. I've been hospitalized for being I suicidal during manic episodes where I totally isolate myself and quit my job and everything. Very rarely has that happened.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I can relate to given example, however is this abnormal in any way?
Isn't this a description of a certain level of frustration, that one hasn't learned to deal with yet?
Maybe if I don't get it, it doesn't apply to me, but I'm still interested in the origins of said condition, because it is commonly diagnosed nowadays.

This is how they feel day in and day out, even with small tasks. That is how it is different. EVERY task is frustrating.

My son has a more severe form of ADHD. He is VERY intelligent, but he literally had to have a check list posted on the fridge to get ready for school in the mornings until his meds kicked in about an hour later. He had to have a check list of: eat breakfast, get dressed, put on socks, put on shoes, brush hair, brush teeth. Put coat and backpack by front door.

Same with chores. If he had a list it was perfectly fine. But if you gave 3 simple things to do, he was a frustrated mess.

See, we all take for granted that we just do this and that, then we leave for work/school. But for ADHD people it can be a scattered mess.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ringdingdong
you got the toxicity sweat as much as possible. how we get the pesticides heavy metal overload out our system. run around jumping Jack's trampoline infrared vitamin d 123 gotta keep moving.

Overload of everything in those 3 sentences...

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

To be more specific:

For the ADHD mind the data packets leave the data entry point organized and arrive fragmented and unorganized to the mind. The worst part about it is it's a constant data stream and multiple thought process are arriving and leaving at the same time making it hard to focus and complete tasks.

What this does is it makes it hard to stay on one task, to socialize, to hold a conversation among other things.

Your description would apply to me, however I don't think it's a real burden to me in my ability to operate within this reality, nor am I concerned about my ability in a social way.
In other words, in reflecting, how does this pose a restriction on you, if I'm allowed to be honest and inquisitive here?
I apoligise if I'm too forward in this (might explain a certain social issue lol).

I have the inability to stay focused on regular conversations and maintain close relationships with people due to being insensitive and blurting things out.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

excuse me sir?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: bjarneorn

Let me ask one question, why medication?

I meditate and everything as well but in taking medication right now so I can get my life in order.

I suggest a modified Atkins diet. The full on is just too much.

My kid is ADD. She's 46 now. I've had a few years to learn stuff. She was and is not medicated.

She had zero attention on a one on one at age 6. Eye contact and squeezing her hands was required.

She pretty much outgrew it, but not completely. Detailed paperwork definitely not her thing.

I've been a competitive athlete for 14 years and my diet is really good but the concussions from being a fighter have taken their toll and so has the lifestyle so I'm finally accepting treatment so I can sort things out one at a time.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I can't work with a therapist with the PTSD. I tell them I was exposed to a traumatic went and they have to accept it.

You can use your imagination here.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12
Old men with backgrounds in psychology are a base of knowledge in my opinion

Without intentionally going off-topic here, could you share your thoughts on the increasing phenominon of ADHD in current society?
(It's a common issue in my region, however one not seriously being discussed much)
If too off-topic, ignore or delete this post by all means.
I only seek more knowledge into any of this.

It's because of the food, pollution, and parents using drugs and alcohol when the baby is in the belly or during sex.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917

My oldest son, now 19, has ADHD and is bi-polar and PTSD. Concerta worked well for him when he was younger and I could get him to take his medication. He could focus, and the angry/violent outbursts happened way less frequently. But, when he golt older, about 16 yrs old, he refused medication. His life has been a mess ever since. His decision-making skills are not good at all when he does not take medication. He cannot/will not be able to hold a job in the mindset he is in.

I did notice diet played a big part. No sugar or processed foods he did alot better with. But me controlling the diet of a teenager/young adult is impossible. He has to be willing to do it himself. And he cannot see the difference in himself when he eats a better diet and/or takes meds, so my advice and opinions go unheard.

I can only sit back and hope someday he will listen to my opinions and observations. Do I want him to always be on medication? NO! But if thats what it take to lead a successful life, then that is what it needs to be.

Would we choose to not take heart medication that would save us? Not choose insulin or a special diet if we were diabetic? To me it is the same thing.

In American culture we stigmatize mental health related issues. Men also bear a social burden. "Toughen up pussy!"

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join