It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best place to research/review pistol manufacturers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
kind of new to the hand gun thing. just picked up my first a few days back.
been trying to do some reading and research. i would like to build up a small collection. does not have to be the greatest but i dont want the worst either.
a ccw might happen down the road but for the most part these are so to simply have for home protection and just for me to look at them in my safe.
i remember when i was a kid my dad would talk about pistols and we went to the range a couple times. i remember names like colt, ruger, smith and wesson....
i know of other manufacturers like glock, sig, kimber, taurus.....

i have been surfing around online and looking in a gun mag i just picked up and there are so many brands out there. bond, kahr, sccy, para...
it is endless.

im kind of lost on where to look.

any sites you would recommend?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

How about Google?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Join several different firearms discussion sites. There are broad based ones, or those that specialize in particular firearms, like handguns. They are constantly talking about firearms. And if you join... you can pose questions that you want answered.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

How about Google?

obviously.
just wanted a point in the right direction from some folks on here. i know there are some people here that are serious about their pistols and i figured they could point me to a decent site so i dont waste my time.
know what im saying

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Depends on why you want it them all for…

A can of worms unto itself.

Everyone has a different opinion on why they own, collect, shoot, carry, this and that.

Are you a shooter, plinker, hunter, security, collector…

every pistol fulfills a need or desire based on a lot of factors.

As far as reviewing for different reasons… thats one thing. Owning is another, practice, still another.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
What I've always done is google forums about whatever it was I wanted to research… coincidentally that's how I found ATS way back when. I go to quite a few myself and have found the guys over at AR15.com's forums to be really helpful. They also have an awesome wanted ads section. There are many out there but your best bet is looking through forums (posting your own questions too maybe) and entering specific questions you have into google in various ways.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There are some good reviewers on youtube. Military Arms Channel, hickock45 and MrGunsngear are a good place to start.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
If you want a "low" cost pistol, go with Ruger, S&W, Glock, Springfield Armory, Taurus, etc.
Stay away from Kimber and Sig Sauer unless you want to part with some serious cash. They are damn good guns, but you better have deep pockets. The best advice I can give is, go to a gun shop that will let you try different ones and see what you're comfortable with. Just because someone says "Get a Colt .45" doesn't mean that's the best For You. If you're new to hand guns, try a 9 mm or get a revolver in .357, which will allow you to fire .38 and then work your way up to the .357 load.
A 4 inch .357 is the best house gun ever made.

As far as gun reviews, go with Hickock45

Carry ammo? Listen to this guy. He does all the research for you.

edit on 24-11-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Guess I'll be the first one to say it then

Go shoot every gun you can find (through gun ranges, buddies and sometimes corporate gun store employees recommendation which should truly turn into a YouTube search

sub xds 3.3 in a .45

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Many shooting ranges have gun clubs that shoot there.
Drop in on club night and talk to the members, they usually let other people shoot their guns.
You can get hands on experience to help you decide.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

My suggestion is that you approach from a different angle. First, decide what type of firearm you want, then decide which attributes are most important to you, then research which manufacturers provide the best product which matches your choices. This typically narrows it down to a few models. Then, time to lay your hands on them to make the final choice.
or just go to the pawn shop and buy what looks cool. Shooting that will teach you a lot about what you do and don't like in a firearm.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

those are the gun makers i am looking at. i can fork out that kind of cash but i cant and wouldnt drop 1400 on a kimber you know.
ive been checking out israel arms usa and para as well.
they seem to have the choice stuff at good prices

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: KEACHI

My suggestion is that you approach from a different angle. First, decide what type of firearm you want, then decide which attributes are most important to you, then research which manufacturers provide the best product which matches your choices. This typically narrows it down to a few models. Then, time to lay your hands on them to make the final choice.
or just go to the pawn shop and buy what looks cool. Shooting that will teach you a lot about what you do and don't like in a firearm.

i know i want semi auto, small enough to carry would be a bonus but not a must.
i tend to get into something and then i start a collection. some collections are larger than others.
im thinking of grabbing a few more just to have to collect. something i could carry if i decided down that road later. something i can keep in a locked type shadow box on the wall so i can look at them.
something to take to the range a choice few times a year when my wife and i can get there at the same time.

thats about it

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
been cruising around looking. so far i am liking these.

something like those

new topics

top topics

join