It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New U.S. Law Allows Passport Seizure For Unpaid Taxes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Try and leave US now if you owe money to IRS. And maybe we'll see an influx to Mexico. The illegal channels to enter US from Mexico must be working even vice versa.

Under a new law that is expected to take effect in January of next year, the State Department is going to now be able to block Americans with delinquent tax debt from obtaining any new passports. They will also be allowed to rescind existing passports of people who fall into this category. A list is expected to be compiled of those who owe the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at least $50,000 in unpaid federal taxes, which includes any penalties and interest, and it would also be adjusted for inflation.

The rule has already been passed in similar versions by the House of Representatives and the Senate. This plan happens to be tucked-away within a highway-funding bill, H.R. 22, that is now scheduled before a conference committee and they are expected to pass it in just a few weeks. It is alleged that the new rule is not going to apply to a taxpayer who is already in the process of resolving any tax debt with the IRS. This includes anyone who already has a payment installment plan established, as well as those individuals who choose to challenge and are engaged in contesting their debts in court.
- See more at: pressfortruth.ca...

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The news was posted yesterday at the Wall Street Journal but unfortunately to read it all, you have to subscribe to the online version.

Americans: Pay Your Taxes--Or Lose Your Passport

Congress is poised to enact a law denying or revoking passports for U.S. citizens who haven’t paid their taxes.

www.wsj.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos

It will be challenged once it goes into effect and a person has standing. I dont see the courts upholding it since travel inside and across state l;Ines is constitutionally protected.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Our tax system is out of control, but if you owe money, you should have to pay up.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Is it also a 'right' in the constitution to leave US soil, or is that a privilege?
I only ask because I get regularly flamed by US members when I say it is a right in the UK to health care free at the point of need. The argument is usually that it is a privilege because it requires a third party to procure it.

Passports are required by all countries outside of the US if your citizens wish to travel the world. The only accepted passports are one produced by the US government and US taxes. I say it is a privilege in the sense US folk bleat all the time, so considering that I say tough luck, suck it up lol

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The only thing I wonder is if Americas favorite racist Al Sharpton will lose his? He only owes what $11 million.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Incorrect. I can travel to many foreign countries without a passport. The reason virtually all Americans have one for international travel is because the US requires one to return to the US. If someone is leaving the US because they're fed up with the US' bull crap, I doubt they'll be too concerned about reentering.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

From everything I have seen its constitutionally protected to leave the US. Just like when the federal government claims you have to have a passport to enter the US as a US citizen even though federal law law says otherwise.

The courts will strike it down.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

The passport itself is a privilege though.
Government giveth, government taketh away sort of thing.

Regarding taxes, as the US is the only country in the world to tax citizens earnings overseas (apart from Eritrea) it would make sense for the govt to just allow it's citizens to travel abroad and continue to tax whatever they earn there.
Strange how ATS members don't ever seem to complain about that shocking overseas earnings tax for US citizens, that is a far more oppressive situation than perhaps the story in the OP.
edit on 24.11.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

And denial or confiscation of a passport comes from the courts and is usually done when a person is under indictment / criminal prosecution.

I still think the courts will strike it down as it puts punishment before due process.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I'm unsure of your sources. Your WSJ source says that Congress is poised to enact it, but your first source says that it is going into effect soon. If Congress is poised to enact it, doesn't that mean they are still voting on it?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It is an interesting stated intention by government though, I hope it is shot down by your judiciary, the whole idea is Orwellian to me.
Having my passport revoked is in the top ten of worst things that I could imagine from a personal freedom perspective.
The ability to leave the UK at a whim and travel to 173 countries without a visa is something I value strongly.

...The UK along with Finland & Sweden is ranked number 1 for the most countries in the world who will let us in with just the passport. My passport is a big thing to me, and I'm glad I can leave the country with it if the government is ever chasing me for cash.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
just great they are now taxing us for being born in the usa and now holding us hostage if this passes.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

What about collecting exit taxes for those who leave the USA to live in another country perminantly? Couldn't that be used as reason to terminate a passport?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

You are guilty until you prove yourself innocent with regards to all this IRS.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I've never had need for a passport. But I can see why yours means so much to you. I hope the NWO doesn't highjack yours.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Incorrect. I can travel to many foreign countries without a passport. The reason virtually all Americans have one for international travel is because the US requires one to return to the US. If someone is leaving the US because they're fed up with the US' bull crap, I doubt they'll be too concerned about reentering.
I'm interested, do tell the nations you can enter without a passport?
Canada?
Mexico?
American Samoa,Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands?

Sorry I don't just blindly believe you, got a list of these countries or a link?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Yeah, I like freedom to travel without visa in more countries than a US passport will get me into.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
And you may mot be able to fly within the US

4 States to Require Passports

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well that lets out Al Sharpton, Newt Gingrich, 41 Obama white house aides (owe over 831,000 combined) and many others. All the rich folks who owe >=50K stuck inside but poor people like me who owe a few thousand get to travel. I can see this either getting completely ignored unless you're on some bigwigs list or a lot of bribes exchanged.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join