It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do gorgeous women have it easier or harder than the rest of us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If you think gorgeous women are treated just like everyone else, I don't think this thread is for you. They are treated differently, at least in most of the world. The only places I can think of where that isn't the case would be the Islamic countries. This thread isn't meant to be about whether or not gorgeous women are treated differently. I want to discuss whether gorgeous women have it easier or harder than the rest of us. I've come to some understanding of both sides of the issue:

Gorgeous women have it easier than the rest of us

Ever hear the quote, "80 percent of success is just showing up"? I think for your average gorgeous woman that should be bumped up to about 99%. Do I need to elaborate? I think not. It seems to me most people believe being a gorgeous woman is like winning a lottery jackpot at birth. But, I've come to see the other side.

Gorgeous women have it harder than the rest of us

1. Women tend to despise them out of jealousy.

2. Men tend to be completely intimidated by them.

3. They're generally stereotyped so completely that people can't see them for who they are.

My understanding is, because of the three points above, gorgeous women can end up living a lonely, desperate existence. How ironic is that? The thing the vast majority of women in the world aspire to be is something that often leads to a dead end.
edit on 24-11-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I agree with much of what you said besides the last thing. Why would they be lonely? I think not. I actually think gorgeous women have more of a chance at an easier, more comfortable lifestyle. Because of the halo v. horns thing. And survival of the fittest. Pretty people have adapted to better survive--it's all down to good genes.

I think it's not only gorgeous women--but pretty people in general. Oh, and I think women's rights suck in Islamic countries--because they do. It's the same anywhere and everywhere in the world and has been for all of time. It's the way it is. But yeah, why exactly would these people not overcome these challenges? Considering, beauty correlates with intelligence. Just saying. I don't think you're giving pretty people enough credit, you're looking down on pretty people as deserving of your (misplaced) sympathy.

Yeah, beautiful people get hated on. But they also get a lot of opportunities that normal people don't get. It's like a double-sided coin just like everything else. Gifts are curses sometimes, too. That's life~
edit on 24-11-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

As much as men would love to treat all humans equally, there are some instinctual part of our brain, that triggers the romantic attention seeking part of us, in order to win the hearts of gorgeous women.

Much the same way, other animals do their displays to attract the opposite sex. So to answer your question, yes gorgeous women are treated differently.

And if a straight male isn't attracted to gorgeous women than they're most likely attracted to the same sex. And of course the same can be said for the handsome dudes as well attracting the chicks.

Profusion, I am just curious why you posted this?
edit on 24-11-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I worked with this smoking hot girl. She was horrible at her job, nobody cared. She ended up just not coming in a few times and finally got fired.

She has a new job every week. In fact a lot of hot girls I know can get a job quick like that.

It's not as easy for me lol.
edit on 24-11-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I'm going to say harder.

In my experience it is true that "gorgeous" women have it easier, but, it seems to funnel them down one of only two paths.

Some of them get lucky and find themselves in a traditional role, while the really smart ones, the ones with advanced degrees, find themselves quickly placed in highly competitive environments in industry that cause them to lose parts of themselves.

The results can be tragic. Only sometimes, but when it happens badly it's really bad.

I probably shouldn't have stepped on this land mine; but I'll post it anyway.

P.S. I work in an industry that may as well be a matriarchal society which is often run by women from matriarchal societies (they're the ones that thrive best).

edit on 24-11-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I think gorgeous women have to deal with a few problems. I don't think if I were a woman I'd choose to not be a gorgeous one. Being attractive is a HUGE bonus in life, the good far outweighs the bad.

A gorgeous woman can do absolutely nothing and have an amazing life. She has her pick of suitors, and while some women may be jealous, a dozen more will line up to be her friend. Only idiots can't see them for who they are, or assume based on appearance that they must be dumb, loose or living a lonely, desperate existence.

My understanding is, because of the three points above, gorgeous women can end up living a lonely, desperate existence. How ironic is that? The thing the vast majority of women in the world aspire to be is something that often leads to a dead end.

Gorgeous women do not live lonely, desperate existences. You really think all women aspire to be gorgeous?

I think you're confusing bimbos with gorgeous women. A beautiful woman doesn't have to be dumb, vapid, or unapproachable. There are amazingly beautiful women in every industry, at every level, and shoehorning someone into anything based solely on their looks is ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

you know what's up

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

edit on 24-11-2015 by rukia because: double post

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

I agree with much of what you said besides the last thing. Why would they be lonely? I think not. I actually think gorgeous women have more of a chance at an easier, more comfortable lifestyle. Because of the halo v. horns thing. And survival of the fittest. Pretty people have adapted to better survive--it's all down to good genes.

Why would they be lonely?

I'm not blindly theorizing when I claim gorgeous women often ending up being lonely and desperate. I've read first-hand accounts of women who claimed to be gorgeous and they explained how they were frequently shunned by both men and women for the reasons I gave in the original post. As a result of that, they wrote that they were lonely (and sometimes desperate). After that seed of a thought was put into my mind I started to observe the gorgeous women I saw around me and indeed, they often (not always of course) do look lonely and desperate. Again, they're often shunned by both men and women and as a result they end up being lonely and sometimes as a consequence, desperate. It's really hard not to be lonely when everyone is shunning you after all.

It's a fairly counterintuitive idea IMHO and it's probably not something that's talked about openly often. However, thanks to the Internet we can understand things like this.

it's all down to good genes

That's a really narrow view of beauty. I believe real, meaningful beauty emanates from within. Saying "it's all down to good genes" is like saying that beauty is strictly an animistic thing and I couldn't disagree with that more.

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012
Profusion, I am just curious why you posted this?

I was guilty of brushing off a gorgeous woman who was flirting with me recently and I thought about why.
edit on 24-11-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think this is a very complicated issue that is disguised as a simple one. I think that beauty is complex from a biological standpoint (observing standards of "beauty" across the animal kingdom, selection, and how it parallels ours). The personality of this person (and how their beauty is received) is certainly affected by how their parents treated them & the community they grew up in. How comfortable they are within their own skin. Certainly each career choice (or hobby or whatever) comes with it's own complexities when it comes to beauty. I'm sure there are some general trends across all these groups but I really think it is a gray-area subject rather than a black & white one.

That said, I do think that the difficulties that you posited are real. But it's so reliant upon the personality of the person too. A really attractive girl with a very approachable and likable attitude can wipe away their own intimidation. Someone who is uncomfortable in the features they were dealt is going to feel uncomfortable to be around.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Being good-looking is a curse. Not taken seriously, always being ogled, and everyone expects so much. Some people could utilize it to their advantage, but I wager it causes more social anxiety than confidence.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

I was guilty of brushing off a gorgeous woman who was flirting with me recently and I thought about why.

I understand exactly what you mean, bro

Here is a sick theory of mine..

It makes you question, your own behavior, because you basically subdued your "Basic Instincts" which from the brain translated to there being something not right about your actions towards this rather gorgeous woman.

I'd feel the same though, because I have..

edit on 24-11-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I think younger men are intimidated by 'gorgeous' women, but not older ones. I know now that when I see a woman I really only care about her personality, although she can't be a total beast.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Yeah, beautiful people get hated on. But they also get a lot of opportunities that normal people don't get. It's like a double-sided coin just like everything else. Gifts are curses sometimes, too. That's life.

Agreed. That is life.

Play with the hand you're dealt.

Either use what you have to your advantage, or bitch about how other people have it better than you.

You choose your destiny.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I learned years and years ago that most people don't see what I see.

First of all, I must assume we are talking about women here, exclusively. And I would call the OP sexist for not explicitly mentioning gorgeous men. But. Go ahead, claim otherwise. Now that it has been mentioned.

Secondly, women get all gussied up for each other. They stopped hearing, or caring, what men want a long while ago. So, to claim that being "gorgeous" makes things "harder" is a sign of neurosis. In my opinion. A brief moment where they perceive that the whole thing is a delusion, nay the worst it is a collective kind of self-delusion, of an entire gender. So it seems like infantile behavior to claim that it makes things harder. The whole thing is a delusion. Of course its harder.

edit on 24-11-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

Lastly, and third, no woman becomes gorgeous until they are at least 50 years old. Not 50+ surgery, not 50+ bowtox, not 50+ lift and tuck. But straight up natural at least 50. Only then can one tell if they are gorgeous. Or not.

In other words, I only date the older girls. Those are the gorgeous ones in my eyes. Especially when I can bring out the young girl in their eyes.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 24-11-2015 by mikegrouchy because: additions

edit on 24-11-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

This is Helen Mirren at age 69.

I rest my case.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikegrouchy

This is Helen Mirren at age 69.

I rest my case.

Mike Grouchy

Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Listen, there's a mathematical formula one can use to deduce facial attractiveness. It is down to good genes--of course if you're beautiful inside then it shows outside. But simply, some people are born beautiful. I'm not going into the inner beauty thing because that's not relevant in this discussion at all based on your OP. We are talking physical facial attractiveness here--or at least, I am. I think it's easy not to be lonely if everyone is shunning you--because as long as you know why they're shunning you, it's not as big of a deal. It hurts, yeah. But it isn't lonely--one would rather be alone than surrounded by enemies and also alone. Now, I could see if the beautiful person doesn't know why people are treating them weird--then I could totally see being lonely. I just assumed all beautiful people knew why people were so nasty to them. But I admit that maybe not all do. Yeah, that's what should be done--a public service announcement to beautiful people: DON'T WORRY. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE DOUCHEBAGS. IT'S OKAY. IT ISN'T YOU--IT'S THEM. THEY'RE JELLY.

lol simple but true. I don't know--if you don't find yourself to be good company, then maybe you'd feel alone. But being alone is pretty fun, just saying
(granted, I am an only child--so the concept of being alone has a somewhat different meaning to me) And it doesn't last forever. You eventually find those friends who love you for you. You just have to hang in there and keep your chin up.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Beauty is but a curse
As a male I use to think beautiful woman were evil
Now I think all women are evil
Lol
Men are weak they lust for the flesh
Being beautiful attracks the undesirable
And also I do notice fat ugly women tend to
Alienate attractive women

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I can only talk as an incredibly good looking handsome man (modest also) and no we don't get it easy, I'm sick of swooning women all the time.
But yeah I must admit I'm a sucker for a pretty face...but I do see beauty in many faces.
edit on 24-11-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join