It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rant about un-Affordable Care Act - I am being forced to give up my insurance

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
As far as advice, is it possible for you to take yourself OFF one of your forms of disability? You may want to crunch the math to see if that would work. A lower income would put you within the bracket for help. You need to weigh the cost of keeping both forms of income and paying out of pocket for all your medical stuff.....or dropping your income and have them pay for it.
-shrug-
I wish I had a better answer for you, but you're right, these folks are dicks. I've spent HOURS on the phone with them, the last time I even had a case worker sitting there trying to help me. Part of my disability is a severe anxiety disorder and I end up in hysterical tears every time I try to deal with these jerks. It's cruel and unusual.

EDIT: As I was doing chores around the house, I thought of this too- maybe instead of dropping altogether you could contact one of your forms of disability and see if they could REDUCE your payments by $150. Thereby putting you into the bracket for help. It's worth a shot. I mean, who is going to refuse to pay you LESS money?

I never thought of that option, but being the Federal government, I am certain they would say no. Especially if they found out why.

I too have anxiety and have been crying alot ever since last week. I just don't know how long I will last w/o my diabetes medicine, doctors, etc. It's hard to believe that the ER is about to become my primary care physician.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornShucker
a reply to: dianajune

Sadly, for politicians We The People are seen as if sand on a beach... Since they and theirs (those they care about) are guaranteed to be well taken care of, it would never occur to them to examine a few individual grains of sand.

I personally know too many that "technically" have insurance. These are individuals and families that previously had been responsible and worked hard to have what would probably be described as mostly "lower middle class". My wife and I don't know anyone who isn't struggling.

Far too little MSM coverage has been given to Americans that "technically" have insurance. If you are paying twice as much (or more) for coverage that has a deductible that you could never possibly afford to meet, that is, imo, the same thing as having NO coverage.

I will keep you in my prayers and check this thread for any updates you post.

Our politicians used to claim that we would pay the same amount for the same type of coverage they have. However, that is just not fair. How can a low income person such as myself, being on a fixed income no less, be expected to pay the same amount as a Senator or Congressman? They make soooo much more money than any of us. And vote themselves pay rises every year. Of course.

People on Federal employee disability, Social Security and SSDI won't get a pay rise next year. The gov't claims the cost of living went down, but I proved otherwise.

Thank you for your prayers!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Sorry to bombard your thread, but I had another thought....their stupid brackets also go by household size. Is there any way you could get a family member to live with? Or invite a whole family of migrant farm workers to live with you? They always ask about those guys, I'm assuming they're more likely to get assistance.

But seriously, decrease your income or increase your household size so you can fall into the right bracket for help.

If things keep getting worse, I may have to ask a certain relative to let me move in. I suspect the answer would be "no."

It's too bad I can't count my kitty as a household member for income and insurance purposes!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

I am covered by Medicare because I am receiving SSI disability. They cover most of my doctor appointments but none of my medications. Maybe they would cover my medications too if I applied for Part B, but honestly it's easier just to pay for them out of pocket. I'm sure it wouldn't save me that much money in the long run to deal with Plan B.

I'm talking about my kids. Medicare doesn't cover dependents, so my 7 yo and 2 yo are left hanging in the wind. My 2 yo was covered by Medicaid when he was born and then they kicked him off the minute he turned 1. "Get a f**king job ya little mooch." -Republicans
Obamacare says they should qualify for Medicaid, but I live in Texas- which refused the expansion- so they don't. Insurance for 2 healthy kids (according to Obamacare) costs $400/month. Their tax credit brings that down to $200....but even paying $200/month would put them in the Silver plan, which has a $12,000 deductible- which I would never meet unless (God forbid) they get cancer or something. And straight from an Obamacare supervisor's mouth even paying the $200/month I would STILL be responsible for the full price of doctor visits and everything (which I'm doing anyway) until the deductible was met. So...to sum it up....pay $200 for jack sh*t.

I'm covered, I'm bitching about the complete lack of help for 2 little babies.

Again, OP, I'm sorry to jack your thread. But hopefully I've given you some ideas and hopefully it makes you feel a little better to know you're not alone. *hugs*

No need to apologize! I hope that everyone who is in this bind, including you and me, will be able to get somewhere. *hugs*

Remember what I said earlier about the Part B penalty. You may have to pay it later on should you decide to sign up for it. What complicated my situation was being on Federal employee disability in addition to SSDI. OPM told me I couldn't go back to FEHB if I choose to drop it (like i will be shortly), nor did Social Security tell me about the penalty until last week. What a screwed up system.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
You may be able to receive help getting FREE or REDUCED COST medications here RxAssist

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
You may be able to receive help getting FREE or REDUCED COST medications here RxAssist

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917

I will check out that link as well. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I did my best to get caught up with all the responses to my OP. Between the holiday which got ruined because of this issue, not to mention my anger and fear about what to do, I didn't have a chance to get back to everyone until now.

I made many calls since my most recent post before today.....and found that I will not be able to get any insurance at all. Someone mentioned social services the other day, but I already tried that a few years ago and found that medicaid would be too costly.

So I am stuck.

I got angry enough to write an editorial letter and sent it to a few papers around the country. I hope it gets published somewhere and that a person in a position of power might see it and be motivated to act. One of the papers I sent it to was the Washington Times.

Someone from a well-known talk show called me about a month ago when I submitted my story re. struggles with diabetes. That person was supposed to email me some stuff....including release forms, I think. But he never got back to me. I called their office and was told she would send an interoffice email, but apparently that didn't work. I will send a letter via snail mail and see if there is something they can do to help. My circumstances have changed since that discussion and I hope they can help me somehow.

I know this is a needle in a haystack, but it wouldn't hurt trying.

Please keep praying for me. I am in a tight bind and am scared something will happen to me because I wont be able to see a doctor.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join