It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials have no mobility, or purchasing power

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
No seed money is required

I got an investor for this business

Then I shopped it around to people I knew and asked them to show it to other people until I got an investor

No luck no seed money no wealthy donor

FULL STOP, SO, YOU GOT SEED MONEY?

WAIT WHAT!!!

You can't have it both ways, you either got seed money or you did not.

You may have had to PAY A LOAN BACK, but SEED MONEY, IS SEED MONEY, IS SEED MONEY, no matter how you slice it.

Do you not see the irony in your response?

Seed money, sometimes known as seed funding or seed capital, is a form of securities offering in which an investor invests capital in exchange for an equity stake in the company. The term seed suggests that this is a very early investment, meant to support the business until it can generate cash of its own

I win the bet, period.

INDEED, it has been proven, that you cannot merely teach someone to repeat your success formula, without FIRST giving them "seed money" because, YOU, YOURSELF also received "seed money", to start your business.
edit on 24-11-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo

I got an investor for this business

WAIT WHAT!!!

FULL STOP, SO, YOU GOT SEED MONEY?

You may have had to PAY IT BACK, but SEED MONEY, IS SEED MONEY, no matter how you slice it.

Do you not see the irony in your response?

Seed money, sometimes known as seed funding or seed capital, is a form of securities offering in which an investor invests capital in exchange for an equity stake in the company. The term seed suggests that this is a very early investment, meant to support the business until it can generate cash of its own

I win the bet,

INDEED it has been proven that you cannot merely teach someone to repeat your success formula, without FIRST giving them "seed money" because, YOU, YOURSELF received "seed money", to start your buisness.

I don't think I understand. Nobody gave me anything. Consider it a business loan and owning part of the business and I've basically paid it all back within two years. What I'm saying is that you could be homeless and broke and within a year could have your own business. Nobody gave me money. I've owned three houses as well and the bank never gave me "seed' money to buy one. LOL

The basic gist of our argument is that anyone can start a business with hard work. And not just a business but a wildly successful one. Anyone could have researched and worked and come up with a comparable business plan and shopped it around for an investor. So...anyone can be successful without luck, yes?

If you want to dig deeper, I had a plan B if I had no investor or approved loan and that was to do my business part time until I had build up my clientelle and then move into a less expensive place until that got built up and then move into a space comparable to what I have now. Not quite as quick but would have cost less initially with less start up money. Again, I would have done that and been at the same place I am now, and again, you could have done that as well.

So isn't that our argument? That anyone can be successful in this day and age? The "Seed" Money is just a loan basically that anyone could get, even easier to get because the investor looks at your business plan to see if they can make money off of it. Unlike a bank that only looks at your credit and assets and debt to see if you'll be able to pay back the interest. Totally different.

edit on 24-11-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I don't think I understand. Nobody gave me anything. Consider it a business loan and owning part of the business and I've basically paid it all back within two years.

The basic gist of our argument is that anyone can start a business with hard work. And not just a business but a wildly successful one. Anyone could have researched and worked and come up with a comparable business plan and shopped it around for an investor. So...anyone can be successful without luck, yes?

If you want to dig deeper, I had a plan B if I had no investor or approved loan and that was to do my business part time until I had build up my clientelle and then move into a less expensive place until that got built up and then move into a space comparable to what I have now. Not quite as quick but would have cost less initially with less start up money. Again, I would have done that and been at the same place I am now, and again, you could have done that as well.

So isn't that our argument? That anyone can be successful in this day and age? The "Seed" Money is just a loan basically that anyone could get, even easier to get because the investor looks at your business plan to see if they can make money off of it. Unlike a bank that only looks at your credit and assets and debt to see if you'll be able to pay back the interest. Totally different.

I'm glad that your business is currently successful and wish you no ill will in that regard.

But the fact remains, that you are a lost cause and I don't think you understood a SINGLE thing I have said, in any of my posts.

You, like many Americans, believe in myths. Your response it typical of autodidacts, that have never had any real, long term, personal, exposure to the true "Owners of Capital" class. Not your fault, by any means, but still leaves you ignorant of what is driving your actions and the outcomes of those actions.
edit on 24-11-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I don't think I understand. Nobody gave me anything. Consider it a business loan and owning part of the business and I've basically paid it all back within two years.

I'm glad that your business is currently successful and wish you no ill will in that regard.

But the fact remains, that you are a lost cause, I don't think you understand a SINGLE thing I have said, in any of my posts.

You, like many Americans, believe in myths. Your response it typical of autodidacts, that have never had real, personal, exposure to the "Owners of Capital" class. Not your fault, by any means, but still ignorant of what is driving you actions and outcomes.

But how am I a lost cause? Because what is the goal? To make a lot of money, to make my own hours, to not have a boss tell me what to do, to have a corporation so that the tax laws that the rich use work for me, and to try to be as self sufficient as possible so that if things go bad, the impact is lessened. I have solar panels, and bicycles and motorcycles etc.

Anyone can be as I am and have what I have no matter your life circumstances if you work hard. Maybe the elite have a ceiling for me that I can't rise above, but so what. Life is good now and will continue to get better.

What is the alternative? Do believe in nothing and work for some stupid boss for hardly any money?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

But how am I a lost cause? Because what is the goal? To make a lot of money, to make my own hours, to not have a boss tell me what to do, to have a corporation so that the tax laws that the rich use work for me, and to try to be as self sufficient as possible so that if things go bad, the impact is lessened. I have solar panels, and bicycles and motorcycles etc.

Anyone can be as I am and have what I have no matter your life circumstances if you work hard. Maybe the elite have a ceiling for me that I can't rise above, but so what. Life is good now and will continue to get better.

What is the alternative? Do believe in nothing and work for some stupid boss for hardly any money?

I live and see this everyday, we hire consultants working out of their homes and many seem to make good money when the economy is stable or up. Sometimes a single contract with my firm can make a small consultants entire year. But, as the market goes up and down, most can't "small fries" survive those shifts and eventually end up working for our competitors as employees. However, at the end of the day, the "partners" that hung around "working for a boss" and got promoted make double what these "out of their homes consultants" make and over their careers make significantly more. The reality is that most "out of their homes consultants" end up working for someone as FT employees eventually anyway.

Again, codes and regulations are designed to get YOU back into the office grind, so, just because you can avoid it temporarily doesn't change the design of the system or your fate within it.

I can write about this all day, but you seem to know what you know.

I genuinely hope you beat the odds, but without wealthy relatives footing the bills or helping get good contracts during the "down periods", I don't have much hope for your long term success and actually being able to make money independently of the system, under a "boss".

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I don't think I understand. Nobody gave me anything. Consider it a business loan and owning part of the business and I've basically paid it all back within two years. What I'm saying is that you could be homeless and broke and within a year could have your own business. Nobody gave me money. I've owned three houses as well and the bank never gave me "seed' money to buy one. LOL

His point was that you didn't have the start up capital. It was only through the wealthy that you ever had the opportunity. An opportunity I'll point out that you didn't actually work for, you merely copied off of others. You copied others business plans, you used others money, and you produce nothing you simply buy what others have created using others money (and I assume you set it up as a corporation so you have limited to no personal risk involved with their money) and then resell it at a higher price than the original builder did.

Others will disagree with me, but I don't consider that honest work, it's certainly not producing anything of value to anyone. Then again, I've always found the idea of relying on angel investors to be preposterous.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

don't hate the player hate the game. she did honest work you're just jaded.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

His point was that you didn't have the start up capital. It was only through the wealthy that you ever had the opportunity. An opportunity I'll point out that you didn't actually work for, you merely copied off of others. You copied others business plans, you used others money, and you produce nothing you simply buy what others have created using others money (and I assume you set it up as a corporation so you have limited to no personal risk involved with their money) and then resell it at a higher price than the original builder did.

Others will disagree with me, but I don't consider that honest work, it's certainly not producing anything of value to anyone. Then again, I've always found the idea of relying on angel investors to be preposterous.

Well a couple of things here.

Is that I provide a service with a skill I've honed over a dozen years of practice and work and study. I still practice and study my skill getting better every day, every week, learning more. It's a skill I pass on to those that come to my business.

Wasn't an angel investor either or maybe it could be considered as such but it's someone who saw my business plan and thought that my company would be a good investment so we partnered up and now both of us are making money, they of course own a small percentage of the company. It's a win win. Not sure what's bad about that idea?

Thirdly, I had plans B,C and D in place incase that didn't come through. Plan B was to work it part time out of my home and get extra income and then when the business grew as it will to move into a small place and then when it grew some more to move into a comparable place like I have now.

Nothing was going to stop me from succeeding. Anyone could have done what I did, with no money down. Now I'm succeeding in life. So I'm not sure what the problem is?

Where am I wrong?

Lastly for boohoo....why does my business have to fail at some point? Many businesses stay afloat for ever and thrive in the long term. The world is full of poor people with a good work ethic and some good ideas who have become successful. Why can't I be one. And I don't think I'm in the minority.

The majority of people will never take this leap and never take the chance. I will never work for someone else again and one of my missions in life is to show people that they don't have to either.

No luck involved. NO rich relatives or friends. No handouts. Nothing unethical. Just hard work, determination and an optimistic mind.

Keep dreaming and anything is possible.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Lastly for boohoo....why does my business have to fail at some point? Many businesses stay afloat for ever and thrive in the long term. The world is full of poor people with a good work ethic and some good ideas who have become successful. Why can't I be one. And I don't think I'm in the minority.

The majority of people will never take this leap and never take the chance. I will never work for someone else again and one of my missions in life is to show people that they don't have to either.

No luck involved. NO rich relatives or friends. No handouts. Nothing unethical. Just hard work, determination and an optimistic mind.

How many times do I need to repeat myself? The reality is that most "out of their homes consultants" end up working for someone as FT employees eventually anyway. In the company I work for, the successful ones that are able to bring in old clients get to become junior partners, but that is not the case for the majority, who just becomes cogs in the machine. Again, codes and regulations are designed to get YOU back into the office grind and its only going to get worse in the future, as big corporations push to have more laws written to put the "small fires" out of business. So, just because you can avoid it temporarily doesn't change the design of the system or your fate within it.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You have to remember that it is an absolute WAR out there for control of the future of humanity and most average millennial kids are neither equipped or connected well enough to deal with that reality.

Not to say one cannot fight for a higher standard of living but in reality we should all be striving for more simplicity and less consumption until fusion, AI and all the other things come online to start dealing with humanities conditions.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

How many times do I need to repeat myself? The reality is that most "out of their homes consultants" end up working for someone as FT employees eventually anyway. In the company I work for, the successful ones that are able to bring in old clients get to become junior partners, but that is not the case for the majority, who just becomes cogs in the machine. Again, codes and regulations are designed to get YOU back into the office grind and its only going to get worse in the future, as big corporations push to have more laws written to put the "small fires" out of business. So, just because you can avoid it temporarily doesn't change the design of the system or your fate within it.

LIsten I'm not a consultant. I made the leap to a brick and mortar business. I could easily do this work from my house or subleasing another space. My job is adaptable as it needs to be for the economy of today's world.

My argument with you is that people that start their own businesses can be successful and don't have to fail. Why wouldn't you take the chance to work for yourself doing something you love? I will never become apart of the machine again. When you realize that working in the corporate world is the lie and that it is very possible to break free and do your own thing. I'm living proof.

Maybe we're arguing about different things and I'm just not catching on, But I think it would be a horrible life to not try to succeed. The goal should always be to strive for more. It doesn't have to be material things. My job allows me to set my own hours, not have a boss or anyone tell me to do anything, freedom to take vacations anytime I want, take a sick day without worrying about whether I have paid time off build up, pick my kids up in the middle of the day from school with out having to ask a boss, I have unlimited earning potential, with the goal of buying some land quite a few acres, getting completely out of debt, starting a non profit, impacting peoples lives on a daily basis. All things I can't do working in some stupid office with some numskull telling me he needs to see reports and I need to increase my productivity. That's not for me. It's never been for me. That kind of life will never be for my children either. I'm free. More free than anyone in the corporate cog.
edit on 24-11-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Where am I wrong?

Not necessarily wrong, but a difference of opinion in the value of what you provide, regardless I won't argue that further, since on further reflection it's wrong to criticize how one chooses to legally make a living. Instead I'll argue a different point.

Everyone cannot do what you did because 90% of small businesses fail, and 100% of businesses that get outside funding (in other words, almost all of them) have done so through providing a reasonable business plan to a bank or other investors. You mention that you researched the sector, built a business plan, found investors, and so on. Do you think that other small businesses don't do that? You copied most of what you used as a template from others, don't you think that other entrepreneurs also try to emulate those who have been successful? So why did you succeed while they failed? Luck.

Where am I wrong?

Not necessarily wrong, but a difference of opinion in the value of what you provide, regardless I won't argue that further, since on further reflection it's wrong to criticize how one chooses to legally make a living. Instead I'll argue a different point.

Everyone cannot do what you did because 90% of small businesses fail, and 100% of small businesses that get outside funding (in other words, almost all of them) have done so through providing a reasonable business plan to a bank or other investors. You mention that you researched the sector, built a business plan, found investors, and so on. Do you think that other small businesses don't do that? You copied most of what you used as a template from others, don't you think that other entrepreneurs also try to emulate those who have been successful? So why did you succeed while they failed? Luck.

I too want to start a business one day, the difference is that I'm pretty realistic about it. The reality is that it doesn't matter how hard I work provided certain things are done. In my case the field is tech. Startups in that field have a 96% failure rate, so that's a 1 in 25 chance I'll be successful, and in reality probably less than that because I am closer to the bottom 4% in talent than the top 4%. But, it's still worth trying at some point. I strongly believe that you cannot be paid what you're really worth unless you're the one signing the checks.

That brings up the question of employees though, some people cannot be entrepreneurs because businesses need to hire them. Many people end up with decent lives without ever being the employer. So that means success isn't based solely on being the boss, and if it is then it means that by definition not everyone can be successful, only a small few can.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Now, how did that saying go... Ah, yes.
"It's called "The American Dream" because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

Hard work? You think that matters? Oh my lord, no it does not. Well, a little bit, but by-and-large the it's all about that sweet, sweet luck. Did you work hard? Yes, you did. But here's a little secret: There are probably about thirty other people working just as hard as you. A few a bit more, a few a bit less, but about the same. They're in poverty. Doing absolutely everything they can, barely scraping by. They were born into it, but only luck can save them.

What was it Nick Hanauer said? "In the future, I see pitchforks."
He said that about four years ago, and you know what Mr. Hanauer? Those pitchforks are getting clearer and clearer every day.

edit on 25/11/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

edit on 25/11/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Mysterious Reasons

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join