It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials have no mobility, or purchasing power

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have a theory about why Millenials seem to be acting so crazy. They have no mobility in today's society. They can't do what they want anymore. They are extremely limited in purchasing power and heir ability to enjoy life in typical American fashion and this is causing pressure deep on their psyche. Add on to this 20+ years of being told they can do whatever they want and treat like babies and bam we have a cauldron boiling over.

This is more evidence of our disconnect from source and one another. Evidence of our sick culture.
edit on 11/23/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I didn't know millennials were acting crazy, but I think your theory is a good one. They went from well-off families to entering an economy post-college that was a lot harsher and more unforgiving than the one their parents lived in while they were growing up. I know most of my friends and I have less purchasing power than our parents did at our age. In fact, estimates show the millennials are going to have half the wealth of their parents on average - the first time a generation has been worse off than its parents in U.S. history.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Now is a good time for everyone to be learning this, no matter what age. All you really need in the material sense is food, clean water, and a place to sleep outside of the elements. All the other things (a new car, a nicer apartment/house, new appliance, cable, addictions (sports, food, drugs, alcohol, internet)), have become idols.

Get rid of your idols, when it is just you and god, and the other life forms around you all of these things do not try to make you feel like you lack anything. And increased mobility as less money needed for paying to these idols.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Looks like Future Shock is becoming true.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

Perhaps the Millenials should be called the Zeroes? "The victims of shock - future shock" to quote Orson Welles.

What`s going to happen when the robots arrive?

Interesting times.

I think it`s time for an anti-technological movement like the Romantics in the middle of the Industrial Revolution.

www.youtube.com...

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What do you expect from a generation that was raised with no motivational drive or work ethic? Always being given what they wanted and even the failures received participation prizes. The PC crowd screwed an entire generation and they are only now realizing it. The real world is a cruel place where you have to earn what you want and there are no more participation prizes for just showing up.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dr treg

AI will take replace humans.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Not likely, but one can dream......

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I will admit I only have anecdotal evidence regarding this, but of the three recent college graduates I know, all three are working in the industry of their choice and making good money. Are you sure this is actually a thing? One of them actually had multiple job offers including Google.

edit on 2015/11/23 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That's probably because they are educated in the 3 remaining job categories that are left paying high wages or with entrepreneurial potential.

Make no mistake about it computers will be more efficient as reductive analysis and writing their own code than we are at it.
edit on 11/23/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Computers are only as efficient as their programming. The idea that machines that need to be programmed in order to work properly will be able to program themselves in the first place is a bit laughable. All you need in order for the whole system to break down is one tiny error to pop up in the code.

And quite frankly, who says Millennials need to graduate straight to a standard of living as good as or better than their parents at their peak enjoyed? My parents always told me about the times they spent in college just after they were married ... picking up bottles some nights to put food on the table, living off pancakes because they were cheap, etc. When my husband and I hit those times, we were prepared, not spoiled by the standard of living we'd enjoyed living at home.

Those times and how you learn to deal with it make you stronger or they break you. It seems to me that a whole lot of Millennials are breaking rather then learning how to be resilient.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sociolpath

All you really need in the material sense is food, clean water, and a place to sleep outside of the elements. All the other things (a new car, a nicer apartment/house, new appliance, cable, addictions (sports, food, drugs, alcohol, internet)), have become idols.

People that don't have much are more appreciative of what they got.

People that have more worry more.

The more money you have the more expensive your emergencies are.

The more cost to maintain that house, car, job, the more worry you'll lose it all in a crisis.

People that travel light have less weight burdening their soul.

Hard sell in computer land. Most people on the internet can afford expensive devices and the spare time to dawdle on them.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Student loan debt is going to bypass the No. 2 ranked Fortune 500 company's profits for the year of 2015, coming in at - drumroll please - $51 billion.

There is hardly any point in discussing it anymore. One poster has already come out of the gate, blaming a generation for the way they were raised, like its their fault they were raised that way?

What...? You are absolutely delusional.

How can you blame someone for being raised a particular way, for being raised a particular way?

Why not blame those doing the raising? Ah - that's right, the Baby-Boomer generation is incapable of wrong-doing, I mean hey, you guys have only left us with a debt of $18 trillion!

We're just following in your footsteps!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Damnit....just when I was about to like the s@@t out of this Op, you go and make me think twice...because, you make sense.

edit on 23-11-2015 by Jakal26 because: Did flag it though....this could turn out to be a really good convo.

edit on 23-11-2015 by Jakal26 because: and starred it...lol Onequestion always writting short OPs that actually invoke thought. I dig that.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Of course, it also ironic that these are the very same idiots cheering for 90% tax rates as though they'll be immune to them.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26

Damnit....just when I was about to like the s@@t out of this Op, you go and make me think twice...because, you make sense.

He does not make any sense computers are going to write their own code it's already happening.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Most people on the internet can afford expensive devices and the spare time to dawdle on them.

LOL
You really are all about the assumptions, aren't you?
If you actually listened, you might learn something. JS

There are MANY of us out here in "computer land" that barely have a dollar to our name, nor do we have much "spare time to dawdle them". But keep on with the generalizations.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

He does not make any sense

It's actually she....(I thought you read and paid attention here?)

computers are going to write their own code it's already happening.

Didn't say it wasn't happening.
How is that relevant to the fact that the comment was thought provoking (given the nature of the OP you wrote) and made one (me at least) think about different aspects of this argument?
...did you just want everyone to flat out agree with you and pretend there aren't other perspectives? (I don't believe that, but you've got me wondering, given your response to my response to her)

Why are we disagreeing, when in some ways, I find your OP to be as thought provoking as Ketsuko's comment......LOL

edit on 23-11-2015 by Jakal26 because: did you miss the part where I said I starred and flagged this OP?
JS

link   

WHAT!!??
You mean they should pay their dues and not get to start at the top, with salaries to match?
You'll give those poor babies a complex. Shame on you.

link   

Just because the system can do some limited self-programming doesn't mean it will ever be completely autonomous. A single flaw will create more flaws.

The only way it would have a prayer of working would be with fully autonomous AI, and then if we had that, we would be creating slaves out of our tools.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Just because the system can do some limited self-programming doesn't mean it will ever be completely autonomous. A single flaw will create more flaws.

The only way it would have a prayer of working would be with fully autonomous AI, and then if we had that, we would be creating slaves out of our tools.

Don't kid yourself it's going to become autonomous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join