It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important Safety Tip: How NOT to Fry a Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
With Turkey Day coming up in a few, I thought I'd give out some important advice. This is how NOT to deep fry your turkey. If this should happen to you, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Please step away from the flaming structure and call 911. Also, butter is not good for those burns ...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Being from southeast Louisiana frying turkey is pretty common. There are several precautions one must take to avoid disaster.
1) never, ever, fry near any structure.
2) for the love of God, don't fry a frozen turkey. The resulting flash will make NORAD think a nuke went off.
3) A couple of days before frying take your frozen turkey (still wrapped), place it in the pot you will be using and fill it with water until it covers the turkey. This will give you an idea of how much oil you will need before hand so it won't displace to much oil and risk boiling over.
4) I know it will be hard, but try to be somewhat sober.
5) Use common sense. (Probably the hardest one)
6) Go online to find the correct temperature for the oil, and how long to fry. How many minutes are determined by weight, which I don't know off the top of my head.
7) All in all it's pretty simple if you plan ahead.
8) Have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of am accident, and PLEASE don't try to extinguish a fire with the garden hose. Don't be embarrassed to call the fire department.

I could go on and on but you get the idea.
I wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Wow

I am going to step in it and ask the obvious; WTH do you want to deep fry a turkey for anyways? Isn't it better roasted? Oh no wait, those ones re deep fried and roasted.

Mmmm charcoal-fied turkey for dinner

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

If you do it correctly and take the right precautions, it's actually a really tasty way to do your turkey. They turn out juicy and with nice, crispy skin. Unfortunately, there are way too many idiots who don't take the time to do it right or think they can wing it without taking the time to look for the proper methods.

If you do it wrong, you get a pretty nasty fireball as you can see.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Someone I used to know used to inject hot sauce into various areas of his turkey before placing it in the deep fryer. Very tasty, and very moist.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I've never tried deep frying a turkey because of my fear of what I just saw in your video!
My luck, I would probably burn down the neighborhood! I never had a chance to taste a fried turkey, but I heard they're very good.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is the only way to have turkey imo. It's always juicy with a nice crisp skin. There is no waking up at 4 am just to get the bird in the oven. Mmmmm, almost makes me wish we were making one this year. My husband has to work, so we are having steaks on Wednesday instead.

Happy Thanksgiving! Stay safe everyone.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

You forgot the most important thing - make sure the turkey is DRY before you drop it into the hot oil. Pat that thing dry with paper towels, inside and out. get every drop of water possible.

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The very idea of frying a turkey is alien to me and to even attempt this at Christmas (since we dont celebrate thanks giving in the uk) would be considered insane from the very start.

How to do it properly doesnt even come into it? Why even bother when you have an oven, does it taste a lot better fried like that?? I mean, is the risk worth it?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
The very idea of frying a turkey is alien to me and to even attempt this at Christmas (since we dont celebrate thanks giving in the uk) would be considered insane from the very start.

How to do it properly doesnt even come into it? Why even bother when you have an oven, does it taste a lot better fried like that?? I mean, is the risk worth it?

Yeah, not to mention all the saturated fat that the thing will absorb. No consideration for healthy eating at all.

Although the flaming vats of turkey a la oil are pretty funny in that video. Maybe Karma is trying to prevent clogged arteries and heart attacks?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Ha! Cultural differences. The American South makes deep frying into an art form. Go to the Texas State fair and you can find just about anything you care to name deep-fried, including things like butter and beer.

There are things you guys do in the UK that do have us scratching our heads too, but it's all good.

And, yes, deep-fried turkey is really, really good, but I'm like you ... I'd be too scared I'd mess it up really bad to ever attempt it on my own. I've tried it to eat, but it's not something I'll ever attempt I think.
edit on 23-11-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

does it taste a lot better fried like that??

YES!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

does it taste a lot better fried like that??

YES!!!!!!!!!

Okay thats good, at least theres somthing to be gained by possibly exploding your garden

I bet this wouldnt go down well with the snowman either heh

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Never use water to put out that kind of fire, unless your really want to mess stuff up bad. Use sand, flour, or something that will smother the flames.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
They should put warning labels on those frozen turkeys.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
They should put warning labels on those frozen turkeys.

they need to add "not for testing jet engines or plane canopy's" - after the USA 'stuffed the bird' when they tested bird strikes with frozen birds instead of room temperature ones and wondered why the UK had different statistics.

top topics

join