It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to get perspective on transgender people

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
Read the whole thread and you will see people who have accused me of such stopped and start discussing.

I just want to say that I hope I wasn't too accusatory in my previous posts. I was being cautious, because I've seen SO many threads go down in flames and be the opposite of informational - and I really didn't intend to accuse you of anything, but let me just say that I am sorry if my posts were too harsh. I do that sometimes.

An interesting note (well, I think it's interesting): Cis and Trans are chemical terms. Cis means "on this side" and Trans means "on the other side". So, a cisgender person like you and me, is born "on the same side" as the gender we identify with. Trans people are born "on the other side" of the gender they identify with. As a somewhat nerdy person, I find that interesting.

One way I have learned about transgender people (and learned to completely accept them) is by watching their stories or movies about them. Here is a list of some movies you may want to check into. Some are from true stories.

There's a TV show about Jazz, who is a 14-year-old girl, born in a male body. She's adorable. You may find the episodes online.

Reading about families with trans kids can also help to realize how strong and permanent it all is.
What it Means When I say, "I've Always Felt like a Woman".
A Mother's Personal Story about a Trans Child and the Public Restroom

Finally, they're just people, like the rest of us. Really. Some are real jerks, some are sweet as pie. Some are angry and some full of love. Some are atheist, some religious, some republican, some democrat. They don't all act the same or think the same. They're individuals, just like the rest of us.

I really wish you good luck in your quest to be a better person. It's what we all need to do.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Nice post, BH!

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
One way I have learned about transgender people (and learned to completely accept them) is by watching their stories or movies about them. Here is a list of some movies you may want to check into. Some are from true stories.

Wow! Of the 22 movies listed, I have seen two! I need to get out more or pay better attention or something?

There's a TV show about Jazz, who is a 14-year-old girl, born in a male body. She's adorable. You may find the episodes online.

Now this I've seen! I've watched the series and enjoyed it. I think it's pretty good and Jazz is a cute kid but the show is not without some criticism and controversy directed toward her parents. (Is there ever anything trans related that doesn't come with criticism and controversy? Ha!) I have a few concerns about what kind of life Jazz is going to have as an adult having been in the spotlight for being trans since she was 5.

Finally, they're just people, like the rest of us. Really. Some are real jerks, some are sweet as pie. Some are angry and some full of love. Some are atheist, some religious, some republican, some democrat. They don't all act the same or think the same. They're individuals, just like the rest of us.

This is so true. Transgender people are very diverse and not necessarily one big happy family just because they have being trans in common. Heck, some in the GLBTQ+ community are calling for removal of the T and some in the T community are calling for separation between TG and TS folks. It's nuts but does show how different T-whatever people can be.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This thread is great guys. I have a lot of reading and adding my own opinion to do but I appreciate all sides. It's great to see a debate start horribly and evolve into what ATS represents.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

"I just want to say that I hope I wasn't too accusatory in my previous posts"

My initial thoughts are, you were. I have to read a lot of this thread over again and i'll reply in a day or so. I was just doing that but fatigue is setting in and im a little muddled.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join