It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free yoga class shut down because yoga is now offensive

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Skyfloating

Oh, let's not let logic or common sense intervene; that is totally out of order!!!

C'mon, the unwashed masses cannot be expected to use this higher order of thinking and reason!!

Sheesh!

You SIR are out of order. But well said, we cant have common sense anymore. 2 +2 is 5 now and everything is offensive.

On a serious note:

is it just me, or are the powers that be literally trying to piss everyone off? The more i read stories like the OP, the more I see the bigger picture on what ww3 really is.

Common sense vs Insanity

And honestly I can feel the tension already by simply arguing with the insane trolls every day. I honestly fear for the future.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: RoyBatty

I like that...

"Professionally Offended" (whose sole purpose is to distract us from asking questions...)

In the mind-game of Social Engineering the Professionally Offended are the ground troops marching to the drum beat of their masters via the MSM, all with different causes, marching in different directions, all chanting different cadences.

The 'distraction' you refer to is very real.

I like your analogy, I like it a LOT!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This whole being offensive thing is really getting out of hand. In this case, I don't even understand the logic as to how Yoga could be offensive. According to the article, it is somehow offensive because it is taken from cultures that have been dominated by the white man and people feel left out (even though they could just go enroll in the course).

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoulSurfer
On a serious note:

is it just me, or are the powers that be literally trying to piss everyone off? The more i read stories like the OP, the more I see the bigger picture on what ww3 really is.

It's not really "the powers that be" who made this misguided decision. It was a student group reacting to one overly-radical social justice warrior.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

Oh, I very much DO believe TPTB are trying to generate angst and anger, and focus it on issues which can be dumbed down and carried by the MSM in 20 second sound bytes. Make someone mad about some inane thing and they'll focus their attention there, thereby tying up CPU cycles from analyzing something else, something more important and relevant to the future of their well being.

I don't think WW3 will be about common sense vs insanity, but rather one of...

Power (aka. money) vs Oppression of the "Homogenous" masses.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Everything will become offensive, it doesn't matter what it is; any individual thought, action or activity will become offensive eventually at the rate we're going. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (Physics, I know, but applies equally to opinions as well).

Then there will be an "approved" list of thoughts, actions and activities published by the Outer Party (developed by the Inner Party)...for the Proles to choose from.

...sound familiar????

edit on 11/23/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Maybe. But sometimes it's just regular people making regular misguided decisions -- in this case the the regular people making a misguided decision is the student group.

I mean, I know people, and I know people can sometimes be wrong or misguided, and it doesn't require "TPTB" for them to be that way. People are not perfect.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I was going to suggest exactly what Scharf herself suggested. Call it something different. Good for her, and how ridiculous people have become! Are these people who think they have a patent on Yoga?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
but if we got rid of everything we stole then we wouldn't have jack.

What are you on about? Speak for yourself. So what exactly did we "steal"? You sound like some fanatical libtard.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: mahatcheDue to my cultural heritage I've experienced everything that writer was talking about and yet I can't for the life of me seem to muster the outrage. When people ask me to be a sort of food ambassador for my race and I'm not in the mood for it, I just shrug and say "Beats me, I prefer pizza, myself."

I must be getting too old for this stuff. I just can't seem to give a crap about some white people trying something new when there are people being maimed and enslaved and murdered by terror groups, and when somehow people in this day and age still managed to be killed by falling coconuts.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: KAOStheory
Good.
The Bhagvadgita clearly states that yoga - meditation - is to be done in private, alone, in silence, not in a group or class.
It's fine to go to learn, but not practice - different things, the definition of which if are not understood by the "students," then they must not be learning much, really.
As with any and all spiritual or religious practices.
I took a class on religion in school - it taught us ABOUT them, not that we HAVE to BE them.
And yes, I do yoga and meditate. But as I am not of an Abrahamic faith, I am not obliged by oath to bombard everyone else with my own beliefs and systems, nor a responsibility to either condemn and/or kill anyone who doesn't adhere to my own personal beliefs!
The added benefit is that I also don't ever have to defend or explain them to anyone. Imagine that!
Lucky me!
Karma is good, karma is great.
Love and light, on and up!

You have said offensive things about my Abrahamic faith. I demand an apology. And cookies. Repent, heathen. (since humor never plays well on the internet I will state clearly that I'm joking. Though your comments toward religions you don't believe in are insensitive and could therefore merit a visit from the Illuminati. Except they don't like Abrahamic religions either. So you're good).

Seriously any exercise that causes a person to fart really should be done in private. It's cool that they have classes to teach the basic moves. But really, I don't see how anyone could get the full benefit of real Yoga in a class full of people who think of it as a trendy new way to mix aerobics and spirituality.

After a yoga teacher had been to my daughter's class, I asked her what happened when they meditated and she said that nothing happened because they didn't really understand what they were doing and the boys wouldn't be still. So...it probably didn't give the kids the right impression to have it presented that way to them.

I suppose I could see how that "fast food" version of yoga could offend serious practitioners.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: KAOStheory. Oh yah love and light with a mixture of contempt....

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I read somewhere that there are still a small number of people who follow the ancient Greek polytheist religion (Zeus, Apollo, etc.). In ancient times, the Olympic Games originally were held to honor those gods.

So doesn't that mean that the modern Olympic Games -- virtually all of whose participants are NOT participating in the worship of ancient Greek gods -- have been culturally appropriated? Aren't the very secular Oylmpic Games of today being culturally disrespectful to those people who still actively worship the ancient gods?

edit on 11/23/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Bring back the traditional nekkid all-male Olympics and I'll start watching again. Those running marathons will be hilarious. No seriously. I'm being serious. Completely and one hundred and ten percent serious. Housewives need some occasional eye-candy and crude humor too. You guys get all the best digs in.

Pardon me as I fart in my yoga pants.
Tee hee. I'm so spiritual and enlightened now.
*giggles*

edit on 11/23/15 by GENERAL EYES because: more snark...ALWAYS...(and formatting because perfectionism)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Bewildering. Wonder why this Canadian university would allow these student leaders to represent their prestigious college? I hope I don't get banned from ATS for sharing this link to free yoga. I started with these same videos 15 years ago in my living room. Once I mastered holding in farts, I went to a studio. Yep, we are only human, farting happens.

Free Yoga

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skyfloating
From the source:

Staff from Center for Student with Disabilities said while 'yoga is great' there are 'cultural issues of implication involved in the practice'

This step is long overdue and I hope this starts a wildfire that bans ALL Yoga studios. Yoga is not inclusive of disabled people. It promotes able-ism. If a disabled person cannot participate, what is the point in allowing it? It is not inclusive of genders outside of the man/woman binary. Where are the yoga manuals for other genders? What if I feel uncomfortable practicing with a group of women because I no longer identify as a woman? Yoga is offensive to Islam because it promotes gestures that are already used in islamic prayer. Western Yoga is not inclusive of ALL indian traditions. Yoga is racist because it was practiced by the ancient Aryans of India. Yoga is sexist because it has been exclusively taught by white Hindu males. Yoga is classist because it was considered a practice for the higher caste as opposed to the oppressed lower caste. Ban ALL Yoga NOW!!!!!
totally loved your post!!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one noticing. I think taking offense is what passes as intellectual superiority these days when in fact it makes the offended look weak and infantile.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Bring back the traditional nekkid all-male Olympics and I'll start watching again. Those running marathons will be hilarious. No seriously. I'm being serious. Completely and one hundred and ten percent serious. Housewives need some occasional eye-candy and crude humor too. You guys get all the best digs in.

Pardon me as I fart in my yoga pants.
Tee hee. I'm so spiritual and enlightened now.
*giggles*

I need to screen shot this post and print it out. Totally suitable for framing and putting up in my home office. You rock!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: trollz

Well then, I would assume that the president of India, Narendra Modi, would be up in arms about this "cultural appropriation"...

Except that he recently helped start a UN backed world yoga day.

That's the thing, most serious yoga people from India, especially the actual yogis, are all for people practicing it. The true ones believe it is a practice for all to become more aware. No ownership.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join