It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Movie Theater Evacuated Because Someone Jumped Over a Chair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It seems America has truly become a nation of over-reacting scaredy cats.

EDGEWATER, N.J. — Moviegoers were evacuated from a theater in Edgewater Saturday night after hearing a loud bang believed to be a gunshot.

Edgewater police say the call came in around 9 p.m. to the Edgewater Multiplex on River Road. A moviegoer jumped over a chair, causing a loud bang that sounded like a gunshot, Edgewater Mayor Michael McPartland said.

Police, firefighters and EMS arrived on the scene and evacuated the theater.

A preliminary search with police dogs found nothing at the scene.

No injuries were reported.

The theater remained closed for the rest of the night.

Whatever our concerns about terrorism or maniacs with guns, do we really want to become this? A nation that calls the police because someone jumps over a chair?

Some might suggest that such an abundance of caution will actually save lives in the long run. I doubt it. This looks like panic to me. And panic doesn't save lives. It usually has the opposite effect.

Luckily, none of these ninnies in Edgewater were hurt because of their over-reaction. Future over-reactors may not be so lucky.
edit on 22-11-2015 by Moresby because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby
It seems America has truly become a nation of over-reacting scaredy cats.

I know right?

Less home of the brave and more home of the pants pissing hysterical cowards

God the US was not even the one attacked and they seem more caught up in fear and hysterics than France!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I'm more afraid of the James Holmes types.

CX

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
There won't be any need for actual incidents soon, some people will just freak themselves to death.

As it happens, I was at the cinema last night with my daughter. We sat down, joined by three teenagers in Muslim head dress next to us, and another two in front. We don't see many Muslims here where I live.

Know what happened? I smiled, they said hi back and .....funnily enough, nothing happpened....except I slept through half the film.

Gotta chill out otherwise we'll be a quivering wreck at the slightest thing....and you'll never get to meet nice people.

CX.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Feared populace is easy to control.

Look what 9/11 aftermath brought... "Security".

Maybe they will get access to more personal private information now.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well. Let's be honest here: the movie-going population isn't exactly the sharpest bunch. They wouldn't even be in a movie theater if they were not easily manipulated by the passing whims of pop culture.

That being the case, it really isn't surprising that they would freak out in total fear at the first bang-accompanied-by-unexpected-human-motion, and overreact accordingly.

It's what they've been trained to do by the same media that are producing the "films" they see. It's becoming a Pavlovian thing at this point.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Well. Let's be honest here: the movie-going population isn't exactly the sharpest bunch. They wouldn't even be in a movie theater if they were not easily manipulated by the passing whims of pop culture.

That being the case, it really isn't surprising that they would freak out in total fear at the first bang-accompanied-by-unexpected-human-motion, and overreact accordingly.

It is surprising. And not normal. Human beings aren't prey animals that run and jump at the slightest sound. We're apex predators. That we're being turned into prey animals is disturbing.

new topics

top topics

join