It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40% of millennials favor government censorship

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The Pew Research Center just released a poll where 40% of people identified as Millennials said they are in favor of government censorship on speech that is offensive towards minorities. Just shy of 60% of Millennials disagree with the idea of censoring the statements.

I found it striking because nearly two times as many Millennials favor censorship as do Generation X'ers and Baby Boomers. Meanwhile, the most "matured" citizens of the country favor free speech by nearly a factor of nine to one.

Seems to illustrate the growing notion that one's "right" to not be offended supersedes another's right to say nearly anything.

www.pewresearch.org...

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

This is sad and disturbing news.

Maybe I was wrong about the millennials. Maybe they are just a bunch of worthless, babied idiots.
edit on -06:00Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:39:21 -0600201522America/Chicago2015-11-22T08:39:21-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I would imagine that the same 40% would like to see this thread removed because it is critical of Millenials attitude towards free speech.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Well, that's distressing I am a 88 baby, sorry about my generation..

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Don't you get it?

Public education. The Department of Education. It's seriously all planned out. The kids today are being taught to allow and accept more control. Through the public education system. It truly is easy to see.

Kids in schools today are searched without warrants, told to comply with every demanding query, indoctrinated to be fearful of guns and want them eliminated, not to question authority, zero tolerance, their speech isn't a protected right nor are their freedoms even being taught.

They aren't taught how to live without the gov't....they are being taught that they can't possibly survive without it.

Makes perfect sense to me. Look around. These spoiled kids are exactly what they have developed them to be.

And it scared the living $#!+ out of me.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This isn't surprising. You only have to look at what they're teaching in school from the first grade on up these days. When I was growing up, patriotism was still in vogue. So was independence and achieving success (i.e., making something of yourself). Those are all traits that are now considered selfish and discriminatory.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Chairman Mao would be proud!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Well, that's distressing I am a 88 baby, sorry about my generation..

I'm an 84.

This is depressing.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Not all but a good lot of youngsters are almost annoyingly throwing around buzzwords and believe them, because they have actually been actively taught.
I hear and see this everywhere. When confronted by anything, they talk about how they should get 'respect', have 'human rights', are 'discriminated against' etc. They talk the whole talk, even if the subject was just a person telling them off for not washing up or not tidying their rooms. Their language is over the top for simple things and that is what those in charge want.

Language like that makes things seem far worse than they are and it makes personal criticism into an 'almost crime' that must be avoided at all costs. Even if it is someone with the knowledge and authority to tell them. Like parents or teachers etc.
This makes for very good government snoops that would report anyone in their family who does 'wrong' because having the 'right' opinion is the only opinion and anyone else isn't just someone who may differ because of life experience but an enemy of the 'right thoughts'.

They are programmed well and good.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
They're just parroting what they were told in school.

I'm grouped in with those idiots, too- and all through public schooling it was made very clear- speaking out of turn or saying anything that not everyone agrees with is punished. Freedom of speech was spoken of, but never exercised.
We "had the right" but were punished if we used it.

Without just a little nudge from an outside source, anyone who grows up in that will be hard wired to think that censorship is more important than freedom of speech.

I just hope that when they start taking big chunks of our freedom of speech away (too late for lots of little ones) people will notice, and care. I don't see it going well, though, since the people are given the illusion of choice- brainwashed from birth and then asked what they think.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

40% of millennials favor government censorship

I've got 2 words for those 40%ers....anyone wanna guess what they are?

edit on 22-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

the dissociation and hypocrisy present in this post is staggering

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Millennials were raised to become the perfect subjects of a fascist state.

They need to learn about unintended consequences. And read a little Marcus Aurelius:

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

Obviously, some millennials have done these things. There are many at ATS. But not enough.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I've got 2 words for those 40%ers....anyone wanna guess what they are?

Fornicate yourself?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's "Safe space" .

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

It's "Safe space" .

I am beginning to think a college acceptance letter should come with a free carton of bubble wrap that they student can then securely attach to themselves to prevent unexpected owies.

The sad reality is that they will eventually run into people like me in the professional world who will, one by one, pop each of those glorious air-filled pockets of joy as I break them down and rebuild them into functional, productive members of society.

Or they could just update their resumes and find a job flipping burgers.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Safe Space is weird for me, I mean I grew up watching In Living Color, Def Jam Comedy, and the such.

Meaning, me and my friend at school would have cut down wars, yo mama joke-a-thons. Nobody got upset ever not even when we made fun of each other based on our ethnicity, yes I'm white, I hear I smell like a wet dog.

Nowdays? nobody likes to laugh aged 18-25. I remember being taught about microaggressions at a talk I had to attend.... (credit, not court ordered) *not yet* I had no idea wtf this woman was blathering on about microaggressions.

I just laughed at the examples, the white person being microaggressed against? I'm not white I'm half -insert ethnicity here-

CUE THE MICROAGGRESSOR, "You white!"

LOL

Thats a microaggresion? WTF HAPPENED.

Imagine if any of these people ever had to work on an oil rig.... heh.. microaggression... lulz.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok

Don't you get it?

Public education. The Department of Education. It's seriously all planned out. The kids today are being taught to allow and accept more control. Through the public education system. It truly is easy to see.

It would be interesting to see the Millennial numbers broken down by whether they had public schooling v. private/home schooling. That would tell the true story...

... and I would bet my house that the kids who weren't indoctrinated in the "public" schools have a much fuller understanding of and appreciation for freedom of speech.
edit on 11/22/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

In my experience its colleges thats be pushing this harder than ever.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What happened to all the Young-Go-Hards?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join