It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you prepared for your first/or next UFO sighting?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's very easy to be sceptical when members post their UFO pictures and accounts of their sightings . Their stories sometimes sound implausible and their pictures are never quite clear enough to make out exactly what they have seen, but if you were to experience an encounter of your own, would you be capable of getting that all important evidence that will convince the world.
Too often I see people respond to someone's tale of their UFO sighting by asking them to return to the place where they saw whatever they saw and try to get some more evidence or better pictures, but the chances are that you only get one shot at this , so you need to get it right first time.

Here are some tips from a few sites , that might be of use in the event of a UFO sighting.

These points would be very helpful to keep in mind while filming or photographing your UFO

Use a camcorder or camera to record the event. Try to keep reference points in the field of view, as this will aid researchers in analyzing the film. If you do not have a camera or camcorder then draw pictures of what you saw and the area around it.

If the sighting is from a distance, at an arms length, what would it take to cover up the object? A Quarter? A Penny? A Dime? An Aspirin? Or would it take something bigger? A Golf ball? A baseball? Or a Tennis ball?

Try to judge the distance from you to the object, the object's altitude, and its speed. Was it across the street or was it over the next field? Was it tree top level or was it a few hundred feet up? Did it cross the sky in 5 seconds or 5 minuets?

UFO's 10 things to remember

Here you can find some good advice on the best way to film a UFO , that won't so easily be written off as a hoax. Good advice, as long as you manage not to panic, and follow it!
Here are a couple of pointers from the site.

1. Zooming in and out. Zooming increases and decreases both size of image and perspective. Features (objects) that are videotaped move in a proportionate ratio of size/distance. When one zooms, an analyst can extrapolate relative distances of objects, hence eliminating close-up models and reducing the possibility of computer model insertions. So, when videotaping, make sure you do some zooming.

2. Camera movements such as panning, both up and down to include other relative objects that are much closer than the UFO. When a camera is panned to other objects, especially ones that are close up, the camera's autofocus feature will change the lens to focus on the closer object. This also helps to determine that an object, such as a UFO was in fact at a certain distance. It is also difficult for a computer image to "pace" the autofocus characteristics exactly. In other words, it would be difficult to fake a UFO where the camera was first focused at infinity with the UFO in focus, then focus on a close-up object and then back. The time lag in the autofocus feature will bring the UFO in focus along with other distant objects. So, when videotaping, make sure you pan to close up objects then back to the UFO.

how to video a UFO

So now that you know how to get some convincing footage, here is a fun site where you can practice your camcorder skills, and see how valuable your UFO evidence could be. Those UFOs are pretty tricky to follow while you're zoomed in on them!

www.ferryhalim.com...

So hopefully, The next time I see something a bit strange in the sky, I will be ready for it, as long as I remember to keep the batteries in my camera charged of course!

[edit on 18-5-2005 by pantha]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Great post

Never thought about this one... I gues now is the time to go everywhere with camera...
Maybe, just maybe I get lucky

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
GREAT THREAD...

we will all be ready now...

after some one has a vid they can upload it and show ATS

i am prepared mentally (i hope) for my first encounter

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
With my wife and I having a 1 yr old baby, we always seem to have our digital camera with us in the diaper bag (in case he does something cute and my wife wants to take a picture...which is all the time if you ask my wife
) So, I am ready, willing, and able to do my part to capture my ufo sighting

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
With my wife and I having a 1 yr old baby, we always seem to have our digital camera with us in the diaper bag (in case he does something cute and my wife wants to take a picture...which is all the time if you ask my wife
) So, I am ready, willing, and able to do my part to capture my ufo sighting

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
This is a great thread!
I didn't know that you needed to zoom and try and get other objects into view. I always thought that the video I've seen were definitely amataures, because of all the odd zooming. The ferryhalim game is very cool - couldn't get over $7000 - the UFOs moved way too fast!

I do have a question - I don't have a video camera, but I do have a cell phone with a camera. Is it silly to try and film with it, seeing how it records poor quality video? It only has one zoom distance, but it is better than nothing, right?

I've seen a few over where I live - but never had the chance to record one. I'll be more prepared next time...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Wow this thread is a blast from the past!

I loved the ferryhalim game as I thought it a good example of how hard it can be to try and track a moving object that is in an open area of sky. I know that I've had enough trouble trying to get even half decent footage of our annual airshow, and a lot of the planes fly directly over my garden at low level!

As for using your camera phone, of course that's not silly, as you say anything is better than nothing and that is quite often all that most people would have to hand, although if you're not confident of getting good footage, then the details are what count. Keeping a cool head and trying to take in as much as possible so that you can try and cross reference and compare with other sightings can be just as important as capturing it on film.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Awesome post! I was actually looking up "What to do if you see a UFO" the other day. I read that it's good to record, find things to compare, but this thread definitely elaborated on that! I also read that you can report it to your local authorities, or UFO research office (if you have one in your area). But one thing I would recommend, is that you post it online first! Post it to YouTube, ATS, Facebook, wherever you can! If you have a video that could not be debunked, you may have your video taken away by authorities. If you contact your local Media station, of course they're going to make you out to be a crazy tin hat-wearer!

So the only thing I can add, is post it online before you do anything! That way it's out there, and it can spread around! ^^

Happy hunting everyone! Hopefully we'll ALL be able to see them soon!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Having become completely bored with ATS, the lack of any good stuff and the current crop of silly questions, I'm heading off on a wee expedition later this year by myself (with camcorder in hand) to an "alleged" hotspot to see if I can come up with some good stuff. If I do get anything, it'll be by me, not on youtube and no soundtrack
apart from the gentle sound of me peeing my pants. And unless I get a video of the rivets on the sucker, I'm staying quiet. I've had enough of "spot the dot."

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yer but the problem is this! Every time I've look to the sky to see a UFO I never actually seen one, But it seems they only pop up is when you have your mind occupied on anything but UFO's.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I Lolled too much...

Be prepared to take evasive (but not aggressive) action to get out of its way

Dont yell at them waving a stick that is bigger than theirs

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hi, Nice thread - especially as it is so q-u-i-e-t lately... there's been nothing at all worth replying to - unless you think there are Apes on Mars, UFOs shaped like craters on the moon, or any of a multitude of teeny-tiny-lights-in-the-night-sky-that are-really-lanterns-or-jumbo-jets... (TTLITNSTARLOJJ for short...)

The biggest challenge for anyone (ATS fan or not) is response time and ease of use... put it this way - if you really see something like this - you're not exactly ready to adjust your camera, snap on a nice lens, adjust the f-stops, nor have you exactly 10 minutes to get ready...

I always have my Flip Video Camera ready, granted it's not got anything other than a very basic digital zoom, but I guarantee you that I can be taping something in less than 5 seconds and I don't have to worry about the settings! Obviously for nighttime viewing - a Flip Camera is not too good... but what I'm REALLY interested in isn't TTLITNSTARLOJJ... it's daytime footage of something that is irrefutable... something that I know I could capture in less than 5 seconds and have in hi-res... something which unfortunately is sorely missing... imagine seeing a posted video clip, daytime footage, taken in 720dpi resolution with sound etc...

There are a whole class of these type of digital video cameras available, all priced at the $100 (70 pounds) marker...

Just remember to keep the damned thing charged!

TTFN
askbaby

ps I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturers of FLIP Cameras LOL.
pps Perhaps we should have a category on ATS in between UFOs and Fakes called: TTLITNSTARLOJJ or I am being too mean.
ppps Whilst I have this camera at the ready (and charged!) I have never seen anything other than the typical TTLITNSTARLOJJ
pppps Is it bad English to have so many ps statements in such a short post?

new topics

top topics

join