It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cinemas to Ban the Lords prayer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No problem with your rambling at all. I'd be quite happy never to see another McDonalds advert as long as I live!
I take your point, but I'd rather keep religion out of the cinema. It wouldn't bother me if it came on while I was there, I can happily ignore it but at the same time I'd be happier without it.

It's the same as not wanting to see party political broadcasts at the cinema. I probably wouldn't pay much attention to those either but there are some times when a break from the real world is desirable and the cinema most definitely provides a few hours of lovely escapism. Religion is pervasive in far too many things, lets keep it out of Star Wars.

edit on 22-11-2015 by beansidhe because: spacing

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
It is not free speech when to keep everyone supposedly happy all religion is banned... This is the ultimate oppression: banning it altogether. What if the state decides to do that in all society?

It is not free speech or oppression AT ALL. "The state" is not involved. A violation of Free Speech would be the GOVERNMENT (state) banning it. But it is the Digital Cinema Media that is banning the ad. They have every right to pick their advertisements. And just as ATS bans the ads that offend its users or its own policies, the Cinema Media can do the same.

originally posted by: ketsuko
If those other ads do not force you to go out and buy their product and you do not feel they should be banned, then why are religious advertisements suddenly so egregious?

This is an excellent question!

The reason I find religious ads offensive is because I firmly believe that one's religion should be a private matter, just as one's sex life is. I put them in the same category. I wouldn't want to watch an ad about a certain sexual position, that had couples having sex in that position, as a way of "selling" it.

Religion is not a consumer product like McDonald's. It cannot be sold. And no one comes to my door trying to sell me a hamburger, or stops me in an airport, trying to get me to buy a Big Mac. If religion, and particularly Christianity, had not been so intrusive in people's lives, and religious people had not been so pushy and judgmental over the years, their propaganda might be more acceptable by the masses.

Religion has made this bed. Now, they're having to lie in it.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9
You poor thing. I didn't realize life had gotten so bad for Christians where you live. It must be absolutely horrible trying to make it through a shift at work not being able to accost someone with religion, and plaster the lords prayer on every wall. Move where I live, the Christians are quite privileged here. But you must be Christian. No other religions allowed. Sorry.

Freedom of religion does not equate to pushing ones religion on others. Even though that's how it has been done for many centuries. It's time for that to stop.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Fair point but the DCM have regulations on religious content when advertising at there cinemas. I don't see how they allowed qit in the first place under their own protocols.

I genuinely believe people would be offended if the religion advertised is not near to your own beliefs. Imagine a flat world religion advertising. I would be offended simply cos I know it would influence adleast 1 person, which in turn would affect his whole bloodline if he wished to adopt this stance.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Look, it's an advertisement. It is no more or less advertising than any other ad you see. If those other ads do not force you to go out and buy their product and you do not feel they should be banned, then why are religious advertisements suddenly so egregious?

McDonald's isn't selling a religion, playing on peoples fears, and telling people if they don't pray to the golden arches, they're going to hell.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Well, I have a personal hostility to McD's because I absolutely hate their crap food

And some have a personal hostility to religion because they absolutely hate the crap that gets served up by it: condemnation, worthlessness, lame stories, etc. Think about it.
As Klass so deftly pointed out.

edit on 11/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

Suppose that at a screening of God's Not Dead or any other sappy religious film, there were adverts for condoms and IUD birth control produced by Planned Parenthood. Would you be fine with that?

edit on 11/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Religion is a personally held and private belief.
It has no place in public life and absolutely no place in the media or in the cinema.

This is the right decision and I'm glad it will not be shown.

Once one advert gets in then you'd have to allow Mormons, Scientologists, Muslims, Jehova's Witnesses and all sorts of crap to advertise to.

There should be absolutely ZERO religious advertising in the cinema....ever.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Technically speaking, it's not in Star Wars. It's in the theatre before the film.

Putting religion in Star Wars would be if suddenly everyone knelt and converted to some recognized real-world religion or other. Now, there are plenty of theories about how this or that religious philosophy can be found in Star Wars, but the fact that there are so many of those conjectures is really better evidence that there are only strong themes and those themes lend themselves quite well to the conjecture of the viewers being what we call universal themes.

The Hunger Games is another example of a book that has such themes. Collins did an excellent job of making the overt political warning and themes universal. You can find well written arguments that her dystopia represents the worst of both left and right ideologies. Again, the fact you can do so means mainly that she succeeded in making her themes universal.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
They should have done it more cleverly.

They could have had Darth Vader breaking the fourth wall and intoning, 'I find your lack of faith disturbing', while force choking all of the non-believers into oblivion.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
My main concern is the target audience, small children easily influenced by suggestive thoughts. The slogan just pray annoys me on a level, often suggesting things are out of our control so praying is a solution. The advert covers a wide spectrum of people in different environments, bereavement, gym etc etc. They have covered all bases to target any one that finds comfort with that displayed situation.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Haha. That would have me signed up instantly. I started a lockets cult after the last star wars themed advert. Lol

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Prayer always producing empirical results.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

I think its a silly thing to care about. The Lord's prayer doesn't have a harmful message.

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil."

What in there is it offensive? God forbid someone pray that God's name be hallowed, and his will be done, and to forgive us and keep us on a good loving path. Or encourage people to pray. The difference between promoting Christianity and Islam is easy. One holy book tells you to love everyone, and the other tells you to do one of three things enforce a tax on nonbelievers, fight nonbelievers to the death, or the nonbeliever can convert.

What are Christians told to do to nations or people that ignore the good news?

"And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town."

We are told to leave them alone.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

No it's not technically in Star Wars, but you know what I mean. There are countless religion-themed books and films that I love, Graham Greene being my favourite writer.

Religion causes trouble wherever it goes, whether it's the protestant/catholic divide in Glasgow or Northern Ireland or infinite other examples I could give. Keep prayers for the church and popcorn for the cinema, I say.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

What in there is it offensive? God forbid someone pray that God's name be hallowed, and his will be done, and to forgive us and keep us on a good loving path.

Because there is no God?
It's only because you believe that there is one and take heart from that knowledge (I assume) that you're ok with it.

The difference between promoting Christianity and Islam is easy. One holy book tells you to love everyone, and the other tells you to do one of three things enforce a tax on nonbelievers, fight nonbelievers to the death, or the nonbeliever can convert.

And there we go. Straight away, my god is better than their god. THIS is the trouble with religion, it's just a divisive pain in the bum.

"And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town." We are told to leave them alone.

Jolly good plan. And keep prayers out the cinema too.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I find it offensive that someone religious doesn't even know the correct prayer. What the fook are debtors?

A fine example of how a local charasmatic leader can teach you the wrong info.

How can trespasses be replaced with debt? No wonder you say what you say in other threads.
edit on 22-11-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Because there is no God?
It's only because you believe that there is one and take heart from that knowledge (I assume) that you're ok with it.

It is only because you believe there isn't one that you get offended by it? That statement is weak and also an argument from omniscience. You don't know me or my thoughts and so you don't have any idea why I am ok with it.

And there we go. Straight away, my god is better than their god. THIS is the trouble with religion, it's just a divisive pain in the bum.

There is no my God is better than your God it is simply a fact about what each holy book teaches. There if a big difference in promoting love, and promoting to kill everyone who doesn't think like you.

Jolly good plan. And keep prayers out the cinema too.

Again if you don't like the message just ignore it. It isn't something you should be complaining about in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

I find it offensive that someone religious doesn't even know the correct prayer. What the fook are debtors?

www.biblegateway.com...

There ya go buddy. Not the wrong prayer just the english standard version. I take it your not from America so thats probably why the translation doesn't seem to makes sense. The word translated debts is opheiléma. It means a debt, offense, sin. So the translation is not bad.

A fine example of how a local charasmatic leader can teach you the wrong info.

I don't really go to a local church building that often, so wrong again.

How can trespasses be replaced with debt? No wonder you say what you say in other threads.

Because the words are synonymous in that context.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I just read that prayer. All I will say is omg. Deliver us from the evil one. This all makes sense now. I apologise for previous remarks in previous threads cos now I know.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
The difference between promoting Christianity and Islam is easy. One holy book tells you to love everyone, and the other tells you to do one of three things enforce a tax on nonbelievers, fight nonbelievers to the death, or the nonbeliever can convert.

What are Christians told to do to nations or people that ignore the good news?

These are all from the bible... This is hardly "love everyone"...

And the man that will do presumptuously, and will not hearken unto the priest that standeth to minister there before the Lord thy God, or unto the judge, even that man shall die
A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death
Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you; Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

But thou shalt surely kill him

And there's plenty more where that came from... Bible Gateway

Trying to "sell" the idea that Christianity is somehow "better" than Islam is fruitless. They're both the same. Their books can be used by bad people to hurt others who don't believe in their teachings.
edit on 11/22/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join