It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cinemas to Ban the Lords prayer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The church of England have produced an advert in which the "our father" prayer is being repeated by many people from many different walks of life, followed by the slogan and hashtag #justpray. it was due to be shown before the screening of the new star wars movie, but has now been refused.

The cinema group allowed for the advert to be shown until recently, where backlash has forced there hands to remove it. Although the advert says just pray, it clearly is meant for church of England followers. This is the first of its kind in the U.K to my understanding.

I for one am glad this has happened. I believe God has no place in certain walls and believe the cinema is one of those. It is a clever move by the church of England to target a movie that parallels religion, and try to convert the jedis from previous consensus'(joke).

If this had been an advert for islam for example their would be huge, unjustified outrage when compared to other religions, so does this religion not deserve the same. It is the church of England aswell, technically a cult. Religion has the right to spread it's message (whatever that may be) but I feel it should only be allowed certain avenues, the cinema not being one.

What say you ats? Should it be banned? The DCM allowed it before so why not now? Should it be reinstated? Or should religion not use the new star wars movie as a platform for promotion?

Please no bible quotes as they will have nothing to do with religious censorship. .

Cheers

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
If it were a Muslim advert it wouldn't be banned in fear of upsetting Muslims or being un pc..

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

No, I don't think the C of E should be advertising at the cinema. As far as I'm concerned, the less religion the better.
Having faith in god is great if that's your thing, but don't expect that everyone else wants to hear about it.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

I don't think that's true. I think there would be just as much backlash over that attempt - if not more - than the C of E.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

You have not sourced your OP. You are not the journalist who got the scoop. You really should provide your source (that is where you got it from).

I read it on the BBC web site much earlier.

Please at least give us the source. It is very academically disrespectful to do this sort of thing and very lazy, too.

Source: www.bbc.co.uk...

It is not free speech when to keep everyone supposedly happy all religion is banned. That is just media communism and a cop out. It is effectively banning religion altogether hiding one's head in the sand and avoiding the issue.

I would like to see religion totally free. That means every religion can be expressed without fear of censor or oppression (as long as it is not breaking the law). This is the ultimate oppression: banning it altogether. What if the state decides to do that in all society? It is doing it in the state already and in the private workspace, and increasingly in media. Lol, religion has been banned just like smoking. How lame, what a cop out. The only one who will be truly happy about this is the atheist.

Look to India! India knows how to free religion. They don't cop out and ban it. I expect they will have to conform to the stupidity of sterile corporate guidelines eventually though.

I have a great idea! Ban the censors. We will all end up so tight assed if we carry on we will make the most conservative religious fundamentalists look like pink liberals for sure. Watch out!

EDIT: In all ways we are turning human life and experience into a machine. It is sterile and lifeless and we will end up void of every eccentricity, idiosyncrasy, and ultimately our human character. Have your machine if you so want it. I have my twelve commandments. They did not come from the state. They came from God. If staying true to God's law means breaking the state's law I will do it. The state can never tell me what to do. I will never allow them authoritarian access to my soul and my will.

The sentiment I have just expressed is a complete spanner in the works of modern secular society I know. I thought I had a right to practise my faith without being oppressed for it. I do not. Now if I go to work I can no longer even really mention the name Jesus in front of my colleagues. Can't live with that kind of censoring. That is why I left you and will not participate. You, the state, have made it no longer possible for me to be able function in your work place without being in fear of discipline and punishment (possible imprisonment) for practising my faith anywhere except for my home. So home is where I stay. That is how big a problem this has become. I am being wiped out of society eugenics style.

Those corporate pc guide lines mean nothing to me. They are there so the corporations can be sure of spirituality and religion not getting in the way of them making money. Of course the state wants to be number one in our lives and have us all doing their will.

ATS Mods, would you delete my post for saying this:

Is it really so offensive?

Here is Islam's beauty, too. Neither does this offend me. It is absolutely beautiful. When one is walking in Arabic areas of the Middle East hearing this will get the hairs of your neck standing up sometimes. Nope, does not slightly offend me. Just plain beautiful my Islam brothers and sisters.

How about this? Should this lickle beautiful Hebrew prayer be banned? Is this offensive? Nope, it is very beautiful and brings peace to me. Gentility of the faiths is nothing to offend ANYBODY. It is gorgeous and part of the myriad human condition and the nice side of brotherly and sisterly love.

Prayers from the Rabbi! May God bless us ALL, Hebrew, Muslim, Christian, Budhhist, everyone else including atheists with PEACE!

Should I be banned and censored for this? Your call!

I will end this comment with a bit of humour!

Remember folks, us Christians have the secret weapon...Elvis

Should Elvis Gospel Music be banned from da Radio?

edit on 22-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I dunno about you but when I go to see Star Wars, and I will - I don't expect to be inundated with instructions on how to talk to the Almighty.

I'll be there the see the dark side of the force get it's ass kicked - again.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Prayer in a movie theater. Ok.....then how about we bring a projector to next Sunday service and show a movie before the sermon?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

The bible has its place in cinema, and has produced many great movies...

As for saying the lord prayer before such things...

I don't see the point... I suppose its about time churches started doing comercials

Though I have heard JEDI stands for JEsus DIciple

edit on 22-11-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
It doesn't bother me, but surely the c of e has better things to spend its money on rather than an advert in cinemas. I don't feel like I'm having religion forced down me. It's just an advert trying to sell an idea that I doubt most of the audience believe in. No different than any other advert. It wouldn't bother me if it was for Islam or judaism. The force proved in star wars, is just as believable as any religion. It's based on the principles of Taoism which is an interesting philosophy on its own merits

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9
Academically disrespectful? Lmao.This isn't my dissertation? Did you want harvard referencing and a 10,000 word thread with that? Every time I try to source on my phone it doesn't get embedded? How do I source something I have seen with my eyes on a group discussion to start a debate?

Stupid comments aside I agree with the rest of your response.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
I'm just concerned they have a target audience that is susceptible to fantasy and imagination, thus increasing the likely hood of new recruits. That is my main concern with the whole issue.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus I think when it comes to religion most people in the uk identify as non believers, I doubt they will be changed by a c of e advert and if they are it's a very benign religion, we certainly don't have many fundamentalist Christians in the uk. I just hope people aren't pretending to be Christian, just because of fears of Islam. Religious wars are the last thing we need. We live in a secular society with secular values so I doubt an advert for for the c of e will have too much impact. I think it's a dangerous precedent to ban adverts no matter what they are about.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: Misterlondon

I don't think that's true. I think there would be just as much backlash over that attempt - if not more - than the C of E.

I know how it is in the US . That post would be absolutely what would happen. Instead of protesting the Muslim call to prayer before the movie , it would be praised . The only religion in the US that is not tolerated is Christianity...

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Advert in question

Quite harmless, and yes if it were non christian it would be Ok.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Really? Maybe moaned about a bit, but christianity is tolerated in the US. It's not like Christians there are rounded up or denied churches.
edit on 22-11-2015 by beansidhe because: caps

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm a non believer but I don't see how it's really all that offensive, kinda out of place at the movies.
But picture this, if it were movie trailer for a drama about some kinda Irish tough guy mobster and the conflicted cop tied up in his nonsense by some kinda family bond, set in Boston or New York , No one would even bat an eye.

I think here, it's context vs content and this ad just out of place but hell, it's 2015 and everything is offensive and if you don't think so too than you're probably some kinda jerk.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CreepyLittleBook
I think people are using the offensive stance to basically say we don't want to be recruited while going to the cinemas. The words are clearly not offensive, nor the message, but I feel the people are outraged simply because of the radicalisation of young people these days, especially n the UK. They see the damage it can do with susceptible young Muslims, whether you believe christianity can have this affect or not

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You can't believe that can you, when you have to be christian to be president...

It is the only non questionable religion you have, no matter how secularised the more progressive states may be...

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9
Nice edit.

I unfortunately agree with the stance of no religion in the work place. It can be damaging to the work ethic and productivity and creates barriers between actualisation and conformity. We have seen the rights of religious beliefs being spewed in all industries which helps promote victim complexes, and as a company owner, would be too much paperwork.

I would put it like this. As a worker, working g with someone of a different religion, in this example, Muslim. ..ddo you feel it be fair that he is allowed to go pray several times during a shift and get paid equally when productivity levels are far less?

It's fine when all workers are the same but causes u necessary tension in multi faith work environments.

I agree it is non offensive but it is punishment to those with no religious affiliation, having no benefits for being "normal".

Sorry to myself for thread drift.lol

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

No, I don't think the C of E should be advertising at the cinema. As far as I'm concerned, the less religion the better.
Having faith in god is great if that's your thing, but don't expect that everyone else wants to hear about it.

Look, it's an advertisement. It is no more or less advertising than any other ad you see. If those other ads do not force you to go out and buy their product and you do not feel they should be banned, then why are religious advertisements suddenly so egregious?

Why a McD's ad but not one for a church that has a prayer or one for a synagogue ... or a temple ... or a mosque?

The theatres decide with whom they will do business, and the group pays money to both produce and air the ad. No one forces you to give any ad any credence over any other. Do you feel compelled to run out after the movie and buy a big Mac or pick up the movie soundtracks because both were advertised in the theatre? Somehow, I think you have more self-will than that. I know I do.

So what it comes down to is that you and society has a personal hostility to religion. Well, I have a personal hostility to McD's because I absolutely hate their crap food, but you don't see me complaining that their crap food shouldn't be advertised anywhere in society because it has no place there.

Excuse the rambling, but it's early and I haven't had any caffeine yet.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join