It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Snow of the Year... And It Was a Doozy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Howdy! Hope you all are well.

First snow and we got hit with some wet, fine snow that started Friday afternoon. It's now 9:30 Saturday morning and it's still coming down. I think it's supposed to end by this afternoon.

I'd love to see some pics of the snow where you are. Or, if you don't have snow, put up a pic of what it looks like outside your front door.

Take care, and be well.

Winter Storm continues through late this morning.

A winter storm will continue through this morning. Expect the snow to begin to taper off across the area from west to east later this morning. An additional 2 to 5 inches of snow are possible across the warning area this morning. This will bring to Total Snowfall accumulation in the warning area to anywhere from 6 to 11 inches with isolated areas seeing higher amounts.

Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until noon CST today.

Timing: snow will continue into late this morning.
Snow accumulations: 8 to 12 inches.
Wind: north 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
Impacts: roads will become snow covered and hazardous as ground and air temperatures drop below freezing. Trees that have not lost their leaves may be damaged by the heavy wet snow. Visibilities may be greatly reduced at times during the heaviest snowfall.

Google Weather

I took a quick shot out the front door this morning. There's at least 6 inches of snow on top of my car.

edit on 11/21/2015 by N3k9Ni because: forgot the link

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm in Northern England and we had snow for the first time this morning. Not enough to lay though. We also had really stormy winds overnight.
edit on 21/11/15 by EnigmaAgent because: spelling

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Thanks for that. I guess I should say I'm in east/central Iowa to give people a reference point. I didn't think we were going to get this much. Early warnings predicted 4 to 6 inches.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Pretty and Yuck! LOL

Stay warm!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The trees look beautiful...however, I am a Southern Girl and I don't think I could deal with all that white stuff for months on end.

Makes for a pretty scene though.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

My sentiments exactly.

Take care.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
We've had beautiful weather for weeks now, very strange for November, but it started snowing a couple of hours ago.

It's falling really heavily and not melting. I had been planning to go to a movie tonight, but I think I'm going to hunker down by the fire instead, in case the road gets impassible tonight.
I'll see tomorrow if there's enough for pretty pictures - it's getting dark here already.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

I've been seriously thinking about relocating farther south. I've seen enough of the winters here. It was fun when I was younger, but I'm getting too old to appreciate it.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

We had decent weather up until last weekend when it started getting cold and rainy. It all went downhill pretty fast.

If I may ask, where are you located?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni I'm in North Central Iowa and we got about a foot of snow overnight. Right now it's 16 chilly degrees out after having temps in the 60's last week.

edit on 11/21/2015 by trontech because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: trontech

Yup. Same here. I just checked the weather app on my phone and it's showing 26 degrees.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
a reply to: Bluesma

We had decent weather up until last weekend when it started getting cold and rainy. It all went downhill pretty fast.

If I may ask, where are you located?

The south eastern part of France, a bit below Lyon.
The weather has really been too nice for this time of year. We knew it couldn't last.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Last year I used the snow blower twice. Mainly to clean out the gas tank.

2008 I think, it was blow a foot off before work, and blow a foot off after work, for weeks. It was so deep by mid season that the snow blower just slapped it on the sides of the drift on our driveway.

This year is supposed to be bad, but nothing yet.
edit on 21-11-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Snowed here last night/this morning too. Im in Crete Illinois now. Right under Chicago. We are moving back to Moline, our original stomping grounds, soon and were supposed to do some moving today. Might put it off for a day or two now though... NOt sure as I am still waking up... (Where's that coffee pot?!) LOL!!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Been light on the snow here in CO but its starting to pick up. Snowed last night, mostly gone today, but more nxt week.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Gotta give a shout out to a fellow QCAer.

I'm in Davenport, just down the hill from the Putnam Museum

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I know that area!! I used to work at Davenport Machine!! I was in the machine shop at division and the one way down there, then went to the weld shop a few blocks towards the river! It is all closed down now though... I thought you were in davenport from reading "east central Iowa..."

Small world eh?! LOL!!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
My out of shape back is feeling it this morning after shoveling. We got around a foot of the wet heavy stuff that stays stuck on the shovel after every scoopfull.

I have a feeling it is going to be a long winter this year.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I was planning on putting up putting the Christmas lights on our house last week while we had temperatures in the high 60's. I pulled my back out last Friday and now I think I'm screwed. By the time I get around to it, I'll be hanging the lights up in freezing temperatures and a lot of snow!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Your view matches mine in MI - I was out driving just before it started to get bad, and there were a few times where it was a whiteout; I could barely see the road + the people on it.

Based on my balcony railing, the amount for my area is probably close to the 9-10 inch mark. Can't wait for it all to melt by Tuesday.

-foss

new topics

top topics

join