It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Suspends Reporter For Tweeting Opinion On Refugees

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I wish people would quit throwing up The Statue of Liberty every time a refugee is mentioned.

The statue is French.

What's their current border policy,again?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Aazadan

I respectfully disagree. Should A&E not have been allowed to suspend Phil Robertson? I don't remember your stance on this if you presented one.

I don't support this particular instance because it seems selective on CNN's part but I also don't know what employees of CNN are required to agree to when they sign their contracts.

I don't pay much attention to popular culture, I had to look up who Pat Robertson was so no I probably didn't give an opinion on it. My stance is that if what you're doing is officially representative of the company, then the company can dictate how you behave. Otherwise they should be hands off even if they don't like it. Making a comment on your personal twitter account even if it mentions you're an employee of a company should be 100% ok. Making a comment on that companies twitter account should carry more restrictions.

The Robertson issue is a little more tricky, because the product being marketed is his personality. In essence he is selling his personal conduct.

After thinking about it for a few minutes (perhaps I'll change my mind in a few hours) his personality is what he's selling and that comes with both positives and negatives, additionally in his interview which lead to the suspension he was speaking of his own beliefs and not those of the company marketing his show. In that case I'm against a suspension.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

In my opinion there's valid points to both sides of this issue. Generally I side with workers on just about everything but I also recognize that businesses have a right to protect their image. If employees agree to such protection policies they should expect to have to follow them (Like home owners in HOA's making a stink about not being allowed to display a flag when it's in the rules they agreed to).

In this specific incident CNN doesn't seem to have a clear policy as other reporters and correspondents express their personal opinions all the time, but again I haven't read their policy if they even have one, I can't imagine they don't.

<< 1  2   >>

join