It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And then there was one

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Lockheed Martin lost one of two X-56A experimental vehicles yesterday.

www.edwards.af.mil...

Initial flight tests of the X-56A air vehicle #1, nicknamed "FIDO," were performed at Edwards Air Force Base, California, by personnel from Lockheed Martin and the Air Force Research laboratory in late 2013 and early 2014. Researchers collected flight data on highly flexible structures and flutter suppression control technology. A second vehicle, nicknamed "Buckeye," which has been on loan to NASA, is currently undergoing maintenance and upgrades. It is being used to explore significant advances in aeroservoelastic technology.

www.nasa.gov...

It is unknown at this time how the loss of FIDO is likely to affect both programs.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

Damn, that has been doing interesting work. Is there any idea as to what happened?

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

Did you see the accident? Hopefully NASA has better luck with Buckeye.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
hey what do they mean by flutter?

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

You ever see the video of the Tacoma bridge where it was rocking and twisting, and eventuality collapsed?

Flutter.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Sympathetic Harmonic vibrations is another.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

That's the more complex way to put it. I find the bridge analogy works well.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I get sympathetic ringing better. anology fits perfectly with my right hand muting technique when playing bass. if I hit a "g" on one string the open "g" string will vibrate sympathetically. gotta control that to be a master of your situation I guess.

cool.

zaph the bridge example is a good way to visualize what they are seeking to eliminate with the x56 studies. efficiency, and finess not a bad thing to possess.

as a bass player I totally get it.

x56 must be very illuminating for the guys working on it. sorry to hear about one them went down.

I can only imagine the implications of the knowledge gained from studying that phenomena and getting it squared away
edit on 20-11-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There's still a car with a three legged cocker spaniel at the bottom of the Tacoma narrows to this day because of flutter.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I always felt bad for the dog.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Would reducing or eliminating flutter have much bearing on breaking the 8 minute barrier?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Michet

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 8 minute barrier more of a materials/heating problem?

join