It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Daesh is an offensive word

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Why?

I actually want to know and learn.

I have read that it is offensive to Islam.

Why?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

NVM, my own research gave me the answer I was looking for.....

I kept seeing that word pop up and instead of researching it on my own, I tried to get the answer in an easier way.

My bad.

At least I know now though.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

At first I heard it was because "ISIS" is an acronym of their full name which gives them legitimacy.

Then I heard that "Daesh" is also an acronym for them but that they hate acronyms. It also sounds like another word which means "one who tramples" or something, which sounds pretty cool to me but we are told they hate it.

Personally, I don't understand why "ISIS" isn't infuriating to them. It's the name of a pagan goddess who they hate and it's an acronym.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

You've got me... I still don't get it.

They use acronyms but they don't like acronyms but they use them...?

But then comes Daesh (die-EESH). It is also an acronym, short for — take a deep breath — Dawlat al-Islamiyah f’al-Iraq w Belaad al-Sham, which is the full Arabic term for what English speakers translate as the Islamic State.

In other words, Daesh might as well be written as DAESH and understood the same way as the names ISIS or ISIL.

Worse yet, the acronym Daesh is nearly identical to the Arabic word “dais,” meaning something that crushes or tramples. That’s an ominous definition on its own, but not the one this self-aggrandizing group wants in its quest for Islamic rule.

I'm lost....

Confusing article HERE

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The politicians are losing so they spend millions of taxpayer`s money to re-name.

Check out how UK politicians renamed Windscale nuclear station, Sellafield.

en.wikipedia.org...

God knows how much this re-badging will cost the taxpayer. We of course will never know.

They are all liars.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I made a thread about it the first time I heard the word. Maybe comments from some of the posters there can shed some light for you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Good to know that I'm not alone in my confusion.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

At first I heard it was because "ISIS" is an acronym of their full name which gives them legitimacy.

Then I heard that "Daesh" is also an acronym for them but that they hate acronyms. It also sounds like another word which means "one who tramples" or something, which sounds pretty cool to me but we are told they hate it.

Personally, I don't understand why "ISIS" isn't infuriating to them. It's the name of a pagan goddess who they hate and it's an acronym.

ive been told that the media deliberately named them after a pagan goddess in a show of defiance. or perhaps its just more recognizable as a name.

personally, im all for de-legitimizing them as a political community. they have not demonstrated the civility and decorum befitting a "state".
edit on 19-11-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

1) Admittedly I am a cat person as much as I am a dog person (and a raccoon person but that is another story)... but... you're current Avatar is absolutely HYPTNOTIC. Fantastic!

2) ISIL... ISIS... IS... DAESH.... goodness gracious "they" will talk about anything EXCEPT what we are going to do about those savages.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

1) Admittedly I am a cat person as much as I am a dog person (and a raccoon person but that is another story)... but... you're current Avatar is absolutely HYPTNOTIC. Fantastic!

thank you! it was a pet project of mine. ...heh.

2) ISIL... ISIS... IS... DAESH.... goodness gracious "they" will talk about anything EXCEPT what we are going to do about those savages.

george orwell explained it pretty well in his literary dissertation on the advantages of war.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

it was a pet project of mine

Please... PLEASE tell me that is a picture of YOUR cat... by the way....? That would be the icing on the cake.

And yes, Mr. Orwell did a great job of laying out the blueprint but I stand in disbelief at what I see.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Please... PLEASE tell me that is a picture of YOUR cat... by the way....? That would be the icing on the cake.

it is not, i found it on google. just look up "sir cat", theres plenty of images to sort through.

And yes, Mr. Orwell did a great job of laying out the blueprint but I stand in disbelief at what I see.

be wary of letting skepticism overrule the reality.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The interesting thing on the names of that group is how regional it is used. I travel more than I like to admit.

During a recent trip through Europe and the Middle East, you hear different terms. In North America "ISIS" is used most often. Britain use "ISIL". "IS" (simply Islamic State) in Dubai, UAE, Israel. "Daesh" or "IS" in Egypt. "Daesh" is used in France and anywhere they want to show derision. ISIL *hate* the term Daesh.

Daesh sounds like the word dais which is Arabic for "Crush" or "trample"...

I suspect we will be hearing them called Daesh more and more from now on.
edit on 19-11-2015 by Leonidas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

In Arabic, the acronym sounds almost identical to a word that means "crushers/they who crush". And it sounds similar to another word that means "those who divide". That's why they hate it.

It would be like a group called "Completely Removing Your Materialistic Empires" that was violently against globalization. Now let's suppose they preferred being called "Thor", both because of its "strong" connotations & because it was an acronym for their name in some other language. But any native English speaker would probably call them "C.R.Y.M.E./Cryme", because it's a direct English acronym.

And since "cryme" sounds like the word "crime", which basically means "an unlawful act", you could probably expect the group to hate that name. Because it would completely discredit them & their cause. This situation with ISIS is like that.
edit on 20-11-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That makes some sense. Maybe we should start calling them "Jihad Established State Under Sharia"...

Maybe I just want to hear our news station say "Coalition airstrikes effectively stopped JESUS", haaaaahaahaha!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant

That makes some sense. Maybe we should start calling them "Jihad Established State Under Sharia"...

Maybe I just want to hear our news station say "Coalition airstrikes effectively stopped JESUS", haaaaahaahaha!

But the Prophet Jesus is one of the 4 most revered Prophets in Islam. The Qur'an even reaffirms his virgin birth, though we accept him as a human Prophet & not divine.

But I get what you're saying. Maybe we could come up with an English acronym that diminishes them, like the "Federation of Assyrian Resistance Troops (F.A.R.T.)" or "Daesh In Assyria, Resisting & Reclaiming Homelands from Evil Alawites (D.I.A.R.R.H.E.A.)". Ok, that 2nd one was way too long, but you get the point.

top topics

join