It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floyd Dent Trial: William Melendez, Michigan Ex-Cop, Found Guilty in Traffic Stop Beating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Back in March I created this THREAD which tells the story of a violent traffic stop involving a man named Floyd Dent and Inkster police.

Back in May Floyd Dent settled with the City of Inkster for $1.4 million. That wasn't the end of it though.

Amid the public outcry in the case, the city's police chief resigned, two officers were suspended and Melendez was fired.

That was still not the end. William Melendez, the officer who had assaulted Floyd Dent was charged. And now he has been found guilty on 2 of his 3 charges, by a jury.

William Melendez, who was fired from the Inkster Police Department in April following the Jan. 28 incident, was found guilty of misconduct in office and assault with intent to do great bodily harm.

He was found not guilty of a separate count of strangulation. Bond for Melendez was revoked, and a sentencing date was set for Dec. 3. He faces up to 10 years in prison.

Sometimes justice is served. It's unfortunate that the city of Inkster had to pay out the $1.4 million but I'm happy to see a guilty verdict, even if it wasn't on all charges.

Interesting details from after the verdict being read...

Melendez did not speak after the verdict, but his wife stormed out of the courtroom, prompting the judge to stop the proceedings and call her back.

"Don't do my courtroom like that!" Wayne Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans scolded her.

"For you to storm out like you are a kid is unacceptable," the judge added before permitting her to leave.

I don't know if this was an especially grumpy judge or if this is just a matter of decorum. I simply don't know how common it is for a judge to scold someone not directly involved with the court proceedings.

SOURCE

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You can be charged with courtroom misconduct so yes most judges would have done the same thing.

Justice served to bad the city had to pay and not the cop although I doubt he would be able to shell out the coin.

a reply to: FraggleRock

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

Man! They seriously just pulled him right out of the car and went straight to choking him....at least the officer did anyway.

Glad he got justice for what happened to him.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The look on the officers face, in the video, is PRICELESS. He now knows what it feels like to be helpless, in front of a government sanctioned authority figure, whom has authorization to ruins lives by decree. Hopefully, he had a moment or two, where he mentally flashed back to past moments, where he ruined an innocent persons day or sent someone to jail based on questionable or fabricated evidence.

People should write letters, to cops like him, while they are in jail, to CONSTANTLY remind them of their crimes against the constitution. Imagine how HORRIBLE they would begin to feel, as they received bags, upon bags, of hate mail while behind bars. The burden and hopefully the guilt on their conscience would grow and grow and grow, as time rolled on as the hate mail continued pile up, non-stop.

In fact some LEO's should get that sort of treatment now, directly into their work mailboxes, while they are still "policing" and free of formal criminal conviction.
edit on 19-11-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Melendez did not speak after the verdict, but his wife stormed out of the courtroom, prompting the judge to stop the proceedings and call her back. "Don't do my courtroom like that!" Wayne Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans scolded her. "For you to storm out like you are a kid is unacceptable," the judge added, before permitting her to leave.

Source

Aside from his conviction, this was my favorite part. Don't get your way, throw a tantrum...that is LEO in a nutshell.
edit on 19-11-2015 by WeDemBoyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo
The look on the officers face, in the video, is PRICELESS. He now knows what it feels like to be helpless, in front of a government sanctioned authority figure, whom has authorization to ruins lives by decree. Hopefully, he had a moment or two, where he mentally flashed back to past moments, where he ruined an innocent persons day or sent someone to jail based on questionable or fabricated evidence.

People should write letters, to cops like him, while they are in jail, to CONSTANTLY remind them of their crimes against the constitution. Imagine how HORRIBLE they would begin to feel, as they received bags, upon bags, of hate mail while behind bars. The burden and hopefully the guilt on their conscience would grow and grow and grow, as time rolled on as the hate mail continued pile up, non-stop.

In fact some LEO's should get that sort of treatment now, directly into their work mailboxes, while they are still "policing" and free of formal criminal conviction.

Yeah, that's the same look that someone has when they know they are busted.

He got caught! Doesn't look so tough in the sentencing video though does he....that's because his brothers in blue weren't there to back him up.

Coward if I've ever seen one.

I'm so sick of these group mentality driven and, blatantly abusive assholes.

Protect and Serve my Arse....they are nothing more than juiced up bullies.

top topics

join