It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified salmon OK’d for human consumption in US

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Nice thought. But. Current research on horizontal gene transfer shows that genes can be transmitted through the environment to different species - and across genus, family, order, class, phylum - even kingdom and domain.

In other words, those genes that were transferred artificially might also have done so naturally. Meanwhile, the salmon population in the wild is being depleted:

www.desdemonadespair.net...

Aquaculture is an attempt to provide sufficient protein for the human population with the minimum impact on the natural environment. These GM salmon were engineered to provide the maximum amount of protein in the minimum amount of time.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
RE: Current research on horizontal gene transfer shows that genes can be transmitted through the environment to different species - and across genus, family, order, class, phylum - even kingdom and domain.

a reply to: DJW001

In other words, those genes that were transferred artificially might also have done so naturally.

Seems logical, but no - specific environmental factors would need to be in play, and they weren't. But now that artificially engineered and modified genes are in the environment they're more likely to find new niches, and contaminate other lifeforms.

btw - there are many solutions besides patentable creations to the 'problem' of producing enough protein.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

btw - there are many solutions besides patentable creations to the 'problem' of producing enough protein.

The populations of corporate nations tend to eat far above the daily recommendation for protein.

When cannabis cultivation is finally liberated for humanity, we will be able to sustainably produce enough seeds to end the whole world hunger problem. Think about how easy it would be to ship pallets of seeds by airplane along with instructions on how to cultivate, prepare for food, turn into the richest compost possible, industrial processing, etc... HEMP SEED: THE MOST NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE FOOD SOURCE IN THE WORLD

My point is; We are spending HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS in destructive biotech like GMO salmon when we could completely pay off our debt(eventually) by investing that money instead to funding family farms surrounding every city, feeding the city, further precipitating the necessity of ecosystem purification and growth(because we are cutting ALL our trees down at the moment).

And how great would it be to pull all those off shore oil rig folks and give them something more enjoyable and less dangerous work, such as national alternative energy infrastructure manufacturing. We have access to more than enough capital to make this happen.

We just have to cease the politic-ideological cataloging and divisively supremely wasteful competition. Its very important that we all develop a Solutionary Perception and be proactive in that direction. Who knows what you'll get to do; there are literally millions of different types of jobs that become available in an economy with Compassion as their mission statement.

Okay I'm done; didn't know I was going to write all this out. Guess I needed to get it out. ^-^

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

In other words, those genes that were transferred artificially might also have done so naturally.

Good point. However, I'm not inclined to consider that these specific genes would transfer to such a population along with these grim side-effects. Very improbable.

Meanwhile, the salmon population in the wild is being depleted:

Yes, and salmon is another fish that is vastly over-fished in some places.

There are also many rivers all over the USA whose fish populations have been decimated by:
-the construction of dams vastly inhibit migration
-Agri fertilizer runoff, producing algae blooms and later deadzones because the fertilizer ran out and all the algae dies out giving rise to a massive bacteria flare-up from the decaying algae
-chemical pollution from dumping and accidental contamination
-etc.

So there are actually very practical environmental engineering solutions to our major problems as alternatives to heedlessly tampering with the life structure.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Aquaculture is an attempt to provide sufficient protein for the human population with the minimum impact on the natural environment. These GM salmon were engineered to provide the maximum amount of protein in the minimum amount of time.

Almost every time man has interfered with nature, because they "thought" it was a good idea, disaster in some form or another has followed.

Due to our arrogance, we think we know everything there is to know about everything, and too many people and groups, think they know what is best for everyone else on the planet, yet our anthropogenic disaster record does not support them in their claim.

Mother Nature when left unimpeded, and is not overly controlled, does what she does best. She sustains life on this tiny blue marble, and she has been doing a stellar job of it for hundreds of thousands of years. We may not like the way she sometimes does her job, but healthy, productive, live, organisms, rises from her ashes, that can't always be said about the destruction man brings about.

If the salmon stock is being depleted, then we have to stop over fishing the supply. In nature survival depends on an organisms ability to adapt, and if necessary, it changes its diet. We are not going to continue to survive without the capability to adapt. We have to work and live within the rules of nature, if we are going to continue to make it on this planet.

We have to stop playing at being God, and trying to bend everything to our will.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomorangatangarang

There are also many rivers all over the USA whose fish populations have been decimated by: -the construction of dams vastly inhibit migration -Agri fertilizer runoff, producing algae blooms and later deadzones because the fertilizer ran out and all the algae dies out giving rise to a massive bacteria flare-up from the decaying algae -chemical pollution from dumping and accidental contamination -etc.

Seems simple enough doesn't it.

When I was a little girl living in the country, we had rules for sustaining the food supplies. There was restrictions on what could be had, during what season. There where restrictions in the size of what you could take, and not take. In some cases, there was a limit of how many, you could take, and everyone always shared any extra they had. There was no throwing good food into the garbage, and we had no policing force to watch and fine us for violations. There where no violations, because poor people in the country knew better.

Even now, it is rarely the citizenry that is guilty of these offenses, it is the government and big businesses at play and at fault here, but only we the citizenry can stop it.

They won't build it, if they know you are not going to show up.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

"I brainwashed youngsters into doing wrong. I want to say sorry to children everywhere for selling out to concerns who make millions by murdering animals."
-Geoffrey Giuliano, the main Ronald McDonald actor in the 1980's, in his public apology, after quitting his job.

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
-Albert Einstein

This thread has inspired me to quite abstain from meat. ^-^
edit on 20-11-2015 by Boomorangatangarang because: hellomybabyhellomyhoneyhellomyragtimegal

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
im not sure why this is surprising.. We eat more chemicals than you would find in a high school science class.. GM fish.. Why not

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Almost every time man has interfered with nature, because they "thought" it was a good idea, disaster in some form or another has followed.

Agriculture is man's most evil invention. It has completely altered the global environment. Don't eat food grown on farms!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Agriculture is man's most evil invention. It has completely altered the global environment. Don't eat food grown on farms!

Not a bad plan if you can stick to it, as you must be speaking of corporate farms, since family farms usually work with the Earth to keep the land fertile naturally, and grow what is indigenous to their area.

The Earth provides for all life on this planet. It is through our manipulation of the Earth to force it to perform beyond its boundaries that causes the problems.

You seem to take hubrage to my comments regarding man's irresponsible actions towards our planet. Well our planet is not indestructible. The UN Secretary reported -

As humans, we outgrow the need for constant maternal care. But we can never outgrow our reliance on Mother Earth. As long as we live, we need air, water, fertile soil and the countless other gifts this planet bestows.This dependence makes it all the more astonishing that we have allowed rapid and often unwise human development to disrupt so many of the delicate systems that have functioned harmoniously for millennia.  We are increasingly aware of the damage our species has wrought — the pollution, the dwindling resources, the species of flora and fauna forever gone, the rush towards tipping points that may alter the way our planet functions.  Even with this knowledge, we have yet to change our ways.

So I am not the only one concerned that we have let our selfishness, greed and irresponsibility, put us here in this place of conflict.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Been following this, was afraid it was going to go through, low and behold it did. The one problem less known wit it is many store brands that sell salmon can be deceptive whther fully intentional or not. The brand will claim wild caught, while it is farm raised.

An investigation finds farm-raised Atlantic Salmon commonly mislabeled as “wild-caught.”

The debate of farm-raised versus wild caught is something dear and near to all sportsmen. An investigative study by the ocean protection group Oceana reveals mislabeling practices of salmon.

43 percent of 82 salmon samples collected from restaurants and grocery stores were mislabeled. DNA testing confirmed that 69 percent of mislabeling consisted of farmed Atlantic salmon being sold as “wild-caught.”

Source
The often labeled wild Pacific salmon is farm raised Atlantic salmon.

Farm raised salmon have PCB chemicals in their bodies. Can see the similar issue happening with products claiming to be non GMO when they are in fact farm raised and will be GMO as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I have seen the salmon, looks like salmon that is grown in farms, the color is usually more deep than wild salmon and is cheaper.

My local Publix always label their fish and fresh item, I never have any problem asking what fresh meet is organic and from what part of the nation comes from, is your right to ask as a consumer.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043
Thank goodness they do the same with the chicken.

I don't want any of the chicken shipped by way of China.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Not a bad plan if you can stick to it, as you must be speaking of corporate farms, since family farms usually work with the Earth to keep the land fertile naturally, and grow what is indigenous to their area.

It was sarcasm. Everything we eat has been genetically modified by our ancestors, and raised in artificial ways unlike the way they thrive in nature. Domestic cattle would be unable to survive in the wild, nor would domesticated turkeys. The reaction against GMOs is principally knee jerk Neo-Ludditism.

I agree that corporate farming techniques can harm the environment and produce food that is less nutritious. Living as I do in a wealthy country, I can afford to buy "organic" and "cruelty free" products. I'm not so sure I would be as picky if I lived in, say, Sudan.

As I said, it is great to have the option of not eating GMOs, but it makes more sense to label the products that meet non-GMO standards, rather than the other way around.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

As a side note, my kid had a toxic exposure to this type of chemical in a medicine he was prescribed. He had some anxiety and a motor tic until it worked it's way out of his system. The doctor didn't even know it wasn't safe for kids.

I wonder what that means, long term, for kids who might eat GMO salmon on a regular basis?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: rickymouse

As a side note, my kid had a toxic exposure to this type of chemical in a medicine he was prescribed. He had some anxiety and a motor tic until it worked it's way out of his system. The doctor didn't even know it wasn't safe for kids.

I wonder what that means, long term, for kids who might eat GMO salmon on a regular basis?

Nothing is tested long term, the FDA does not require it. The reason why is that there could be other factors involved like cross reactions with foods or other meds and they are not concerned about that. There is little to no crossreactivity checking of medications or food additives. Propylene glycol is antifreeze for campers and most research shows it has toxic effects but it is considered GRAS because it was approved before 1955. It would never get approved now. So there is no regulation that governs this chemical under two percent. We had double strength vanilla that was forty percent propylene glycol and it is in many foods and shampoos. It plumps cells and causes a smoothing of the skin which slows the skins respiration. The action is worse in the gut, it lowers uptake of nutrients when it swells the cells. When in tobacco products, it plumps the lung cells and it can make it harder to breath.

Now the chemical in that fish is even worse than propylene glycol. The antidote for propylene glycol when injested is milk. The antidote for ethylene glycol is ethynol..or booze. What would be the antidote for the fish?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join