It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GODS OF EGYPT Trailer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Ok lots of pretty damned good CGIs check.
Lots of action check.
Lots of seasoned big name actors check
Lots of British, or Australian accents check.
Lots of White people playing Kemetian Gods Check.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Looks interesting. 2016 eh?

Lots of White people playing Kemetian Gods Check.

cj6

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I like the trailer it looks like a pretty good dumb action flick. I don't understand why people are complaining that they're not Egyptian actors playing the Gods but umm they're fictional characters in a fictional setting, they don't necessarily need to be a certain ethnicity. Just because Egyptians worshipped the Gods doesn't mean the Gods themselves were Egyptian.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Those are some HUGE beetles/snakes/ and Anubis/that other thing with wings.

Gerard Butler (Leonitus from 300), yeas..

Some pyramids and other sweet megaliths... sweeet

I just hope the crazy amount of CGI and craziness doesn't ruin it. I'm intrigued and fascinated by the premise and the trailer so far though. (and I had to watch it with the sound off -no sound on this comp. haha)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have liked pretty much everything the director (Alex Proyas) has done (The Crow, Dark City), I have had my eye on this one for a while. After the trailer, I'm totally looking forward to this.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Anyone else notice how bad the lighting is for the 'green-screen'? Overall the CGI mo-cap animations are quite fluid.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
Anyone else notice how bad the lighting is for the 'green-screen'? Overall the CGI mo-cap animations are quite fluid.

I didn't at first but you are the one with the keen eye for stuff like that NateTheAnimator

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I dont know maybe Iam doing it wrong but I didnt see any green screens in that trailer.
Arent one NOT supposed to see the green screens?

It looked like a cool flick tho, will definealtltrly watch it when it comes out.

thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Clash of the Titans(Liam Neeson is not Greek) wasn't exactly historic (Myths not withstanding)

Seems like the same type of flick, Scorpion King(Rock is not Egyptian) also Prince of Persia(Gylenhaal is not Persian)

Oh well! Looks great regardless

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Oh HELL yes!!

Love me some epic CGI movies

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
I like the trailer it looks like a pretty good dumb action flick. I don't understand why people are complaining that they're not Egyptian actors playing the Gods but umm they're fictional characters in a fictional setting, they don't necessarily need to be a certain ethnicity. Just because Egyptians worshipped the Gods doesn't mean the Gods themselves were Egyptian.

There is also the complaint that the one African American who is playing an Egyptian god is Thoth making him the literal all knowing magic negro.

Someone may not have been anticipating the PC crowd's reaction to that casting choice.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: cj6

There is also the complaint that the one African American who is playing an Egyptian god is Thoth making him the literal all knowing magic negro.

Someone may not have been anticipating the PC crowd's reaction to that casting choice.

As far as the casting goes they could have gone the way of Stargate the original movie

If I remembered correctly it didn't bombed at the box office,well heck there was enough interest in it to go on to make a long running series and a bunch of other spinoffs.
Love the Horus costumes the series costumes looked cheap in comparison .
edit on 19-11-2015 by Spider879 because: Because I said so dammit!

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Stargate was also not a big blockbuster type flick if I remember correctly. They didn't have the budget to pull in more name muscle than Kurt Russell which was fine, but because they didn't have the money, they also didn't have the pressure to do the silly casting things.

These days, if it says BLOCKBUSTER on it, then everyone wonders who the stars are.

edit on 19-11-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Clash of the Titans(Liam Neeson is not Greek) wasn't exactly historic (Myths not withstanding)

Seems like the same type of flick, Scorpion King(Rock is not Egyptian) also Prince of Persia(Gylenhaal is not Persian)

Oh well! Looks great regardless

Ok here is why so-called being P.C is not always a bad thing, although the story was Greek mythology, the human characters were not meant to be Greeks,the story was set either in Ethiopia or African controlled Lavent for Andromeda, Cassiopeia and King Cepheus were all Ethiopians or Black people, to date hardly anyone outside nerds and sticklers for detail would have known this, the same complaint could be levelled at the movie Troy where they disappeared Memnon and his host of Ethiopian warriors that rescued Troy..at least temporarily and gladden the hearts of the Trojans, Memnon who killed Antilochus and was killed by Achilles

When Memnon reaches the Greek ships, Nestor begs Achilles to fight him and avenge Antilochos, leading to the two men clashing while both wearing divine armour made by Hephaestus, making another parallel between the two warriors. Zeus favours both of them and makes each man tireless and huge so that the whole battlefield can watch them clash as demigods. Eventually, Achilles stabs Memnon through the heart, causing his entire army to flee in terror. In honour of Memnon, the Gods collect all the drops of blood that fall from him and use them to form a huge river that on every anniversary of his death will bear the stench of human flesh.[1] The Aethiopians that stayed close to Memnon in order to bury their leader are turned into birds (which we now call Memnons) and they stay by his tomb so as to remove dust that gathers on it
en.wikipedia.org...(mythology)

Now it is Greek myths not African so while I can be annoyed at the Black out, I tend to be even more so when it come to African storytelling without Africans or they are kept at a minimum at best, as for as the rest of the movie, looks pretty damn good.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I said the same thing. Eh what do you say, you winsome you lose some.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I literally just ran across a trailer for this movie a few minutes ago, in an article bitching about the "whiteness" of the cast.

All the article did was make me want to see the movie for the story itself & not give a rip about the cast's ethnicity XD Way to fail there, eh?

Seriously though, don't EVER watch a fiction flick & expect realistic ish in it through & through. It's a prerequisite for highly historically accurate films, but never expect it for fictional ones. By doing so, your scientific or ethnic hang-ups screw you out of enjoying the story. That's a bigger disaster than "not enough factual/ethnic representation" is. JMHO there.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I literally just ran across a trailer for this movie a few minutes ago, in an article bitching about the "whiteness" of the cast.

All the article did was make me want to see the movie for the story itself & not give a rip about the cast's ethnicity XD Way to fail there, eh?

Seriously though, don't EVER watch a fiction flick & expect realistic ish in it through & through. It's a prerequisite for highly historically accurate films, but never expect it for fictional ones. By doing so, your scientific or ethnic hang-ups screw you out of enjoying the story. That's a bigger disaster than "not enough factual/ethnic representation" is. JMHO there.

I perhaps will go see it also, but I understand the frustration of the Blackout..pun intended, so i'll ask this question, when was the last time anyone here saw a period piece about any of Africa's classical civilizations on screen outside of Kemet which even then the main characters are usually white or somewhat off white with black folks milling about in the back ground serving, waving big fathered fans or guarding , how many movies have you seen with great acclaim such as 12 years a Slave, Amistad, The Color Purple, Precious, Selma, the Hood movies etc, see over time this begin to develop into a pattern, and at this point I am not blaming white movie makers, because there are black folks with enough talent and $$$ to do this themselves, but nooo!! making a series like Empire about a dysfunctional recording family is easier.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

That would be like asking when the last time I saw an accurate period piece about < insert Chinese dynasty here > was. I'm not interested in most movies for being totally accurate to the period or theme, and I doubt most others are, either. Honestly, "cultural period piece" is not what draws my attention at all to myth/mythology-based or influenced movies, kinda like how the science in a sci-fi movie doesn't have to be accurate to work well for the story.

Since Stargate was mentioned, let's expand on that. I'm a rabid SG movie/SG1 fan, so take this from my perspective as such. Jaye Davidson, who played Ra in Stargate, is biracial. Do I care? No, he portrayed a cruel asshole alien so well that his background is insignificant. I also don't give a rip that Alexis Cruz (Skaara) is Puerto Rican, either. Nor that Erick Avari (Kasuuf) is from India. Nor that Mili Avital (Sha'uri, movie) is Israeli, or that Vaitiare Bandera (Sha're, show) is Tahitian.
They brought their characters to life, nailed their personalities in such a way that most Gaters would not be able to conceive of another version. Another appearance, we can certainly handle. A completely different interpretation on the characters' personalities? That would be a shame. Would ethnic Africans have made any difference? Image is only skin deep, bringing a concept personality to life is a whole different ballgame than skin tone. Therefore, I'd have to go with "coin toss".

And WTH is "Empire"? Another one of those premium channel shows?

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I am not saying that all the caste of Gods of Egypt should look like they peel off the wall of some Kemetian temple painting, nor I am I suggesting suspension of creative license such movies are typically a bore, however as a movie buff I'd like to see the folks in such movies more representative of the folks that belonged to that culture, fictional or not, and that's one of the reasons why I liked Star Gate and The series.

And WTH is "Empire"? Another one of those premium channel shows

Yes Empire is a very popular cable show that I detest and it only goes to show that Black Hollywood can churn out popular but brain numbing stuff. when they have the money and the know how to do a heck of alot better.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: cj6

complaining that they're not Egyptian actors playing the Gods but umm they're fictional characters in a fictional setting, they don't necessarily need to be a certain ethnicity. Just because Egyptians worshipped the Gods doesn't mean the Gods themselves were Egyptian.

Thanks to OP to alerting me to a great movie to look forward to.

Now about the crowds in one scene...black nubians, asiatic eyes, semitic skin tones in others. Sounds pretty authentic to me. LOL, people think a nation is made of 1 race only!

They're also pretty ignorant as to history...they forget the Hellenic roots of the Ptolemeic Pharaohs -it lasted 300 years, hardly a "small blimp"

The Ptolemaic Kingdom (/ˌtɒləˈmeɪ.ɪk/; Ancient Greek: Πτολεμαϊκὴ βασιλεία, Ptolemaïkḕ Basileía)[3] was a Hellenistic kingdom based in Egypt. It was ruled by the Ptolemaic dynasty which started with Ptolemy I Soter's accession after the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC and which ended with the death of Cleopatra VII and the Roman conquest in 30 BC.

The Ptolemaic Kingdom was founded in 305 BC by Ptolemy I Soter, who declared himself Pharaoh of Egypt and created a powerful Hellenistic dynasty that ruled an area stretching from southern Syria to Cyrene and south to Nubia. Alexandria became the capital city and a major center of Greek culture and trade

what I find even more glaring is that the production company were able to avail themselves of Govt tax incentives without sticking to Australia Fair work conditions.

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

The union Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance filed an objection with Australia's Fair Work Commission stating that the film will adopt unfair work conditions. The union contested the production being Australian enough to receive a 40% producer rebate yet importing work conditions substandard for Australia

top topics

<<   2 >>

join