It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Pirates: Not a Myth..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
She retired from her pirating days at the age of 35, got married , had a daughter and opened a brothel. Got a title and lived to the ripe old age of 69 and died a wealthy aristocrat. No navy could defeat her 1600 ships and estimated 70,000 men and women combatants. I had heard about the Red Flag Fleet before and this amazing woman but thought I would post this for those who have never heard Ching Shih. A different time but actually has some bearing on today's events. Since China has built the islands in the South China sea the Pirate business is way off !

Ching Shih — also known as Cheng I Sao — instilled fear in the hearts of merchants across the China Sea in the early 19th century. During her relatively short run as a pirate lord — only about a decade — this ruthless and cunning woman went from being a prostitute to commanding the famous “Red Flag Fleet” and sending hundreds of thousands of men into battle.

She was a prostitute in one of Canton’s floating brothels when pirates captured her at age 26. To her surprise, she was asked to marry one of them, Cheng Ch’i, who belonged to a long and famous dynasty of sea thieves. From then onwards, they were partners in bed and business. With her help, Cheng Ch’i managed to assemble one of the largest and most dangerous fleets in China.

www.ozy.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Geesh

Maybe there was one or two and suddenly

"Female pirates"

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

The following is a list of female pirates, who may or may not have lived, but are recognized by historians and listed in the time period they were active.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, females serving in non traditional roles is always of interest to me, triumph of the human spirit not bound to convention poster beansidhe added this nugget to a thread of mine.

Jacquotte Delahaye reportedly came from Saint-Domingue in present day Haiti, and was the daughter of a French father and a Haitian mother. Her mother is said to have died in childbirth. Her brother suffered from mild retardation, and was left in her care after her father's death.

According to legend and tradition, she became a pirate after the murder of her father. Jacquotte Delahaye is the subject of many legendary stories. To escape her pursuers, she faked her own death and took on a male alias, living as a man for many years. Upon her return, she became known as "back from the dead red" because of her striking red hair.

She led a gang of hundreds of pirates, and with their help took over a small Caribbean island in the year of 1656, which was called a "freeboter republic". [1] Several years later, she died in a shootout while defending it
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please cont. man add some funky graphics there is alot more out there.

edit on 19-11-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Anne Bonny and Mary Read are two infamous female pirates. Mary Read even fooled many, even Bonny because she was able to disguise her self as a man.

The pirate life fascinates me and I am currency living in an old pirate haven.

new topics

top topics

join