It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

slang terms. old school terms. etc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
feel like sharing any?
i read a lot and watch a lot of movies. i like throwing what i would call odd or unused/rarely used words and terms into my conversations.
throws people off and i like to watch them with that look on their face as they try to figure out what i am talking about.

lately at work i have taken to referring to my computer as my turing machine. you know if i have to say let me go check the computer real fast i will say let me go check my turing machine. people kind of gloss over cause they have no idea what the hell i am talking about but they wont say as much or even ask. hey uh, what the hell is a turing machine btw?
its fun. makes me pass the time.

i just watched episode 4 of fargo and one of the characters said "can i offer you some of the divinity"
then gave the dude some cake. i looked it up and the term started off referring to some nougat confection but in some areas has come to define candy or cake. im going to start throwing that in my conversations tomorrow.

so i am curious about any terms you know. anything that has stuck with you or sounds cool. anything that is from back in the day.

i also recently calling the # symbol octothorpe whenever i can. that one really gets the dear in the headlight look. most people call it a pound sign or recently hash tag, which i hate. so i try to use that whenever possible.

its an experiment of sorts i guess. i get a kick out of talking with people(not really. i dont like talking to people so i do this to make it bearable) and have the conversation going fine and if possible throw something out there that they likely will not know and see them shift gears a touch. a pause. a swallow. a blink. something to show me yup. he/she dont know and then i wait for them to ask.
they dont ask.

if i hear something i dont know i ask because i dont want to be the one that does not know. then i go into my office and i look it up to make sure what they told me is true.

a couple days ago i was talking to my boss and he said he has a bunch of sterno in his basement. of course i didnt do the uh huh dumb # look and keep going.
i said hey man. what they hell is sterno.
then he told me and he looked it up.

so anything you are willing to share?

thank you

edit on 18-11-2015 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears Word. Word to your mama. TinySickTears in the house! Hella. Sick. Late. Later.
Is this what you mean?

Or how about,'' that was grubbin''' or ''have I totally floundered this thread?''
edit on 18-11-2015 by peppycat because: more terms

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

So many.
When I asked my dad where we were going he would say "up nicken down ashton".
When I asked my grandad "why?" He would say "because y is not a z and z is not a monkey".
Oops a daisy...I taught the dutch this saying.
One I have learnt from being in Yorkshire is sweeties are called spice.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: TinySickTears Word. Word to your mama. TinySickTears in the house! Hella. Sick. Late. Later.
Is this what you mean?

not exactly.
those are more trendy, hip, urban dictionary type slang.

of course i am trying to think of more examples right now and i am drawing a blank.

think more old school terms.

this is just an example but if the hip/urban term for what we are talking about is slut, skank, ho...something like that i would prefer to use the term 'fallen woman'
know what i mean.

try to work in a conversation about a book you are reading and mention a magdaline house.....nobody knows

instead of asking for a light(if you smoke or want to set a building on fire i guess) say "hey, got any timber"
that would be a match

those kinds of terms

another example is i call alcohol either hooch or grandpas cough medicine

my dad would always use the term 'jake' instead of cool or ok

hey tiny sick tears, are we cool?
yeah man. we're jake

oh and money.
less used these days cause everyone uses plastic.
my dad would call em green backs.
for me, instead of saying money i say scratch

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
thought of another.
if i am going to mention in a convo that i am getting a haircut i say after work i am going to get my ears lowered

this is not a term but when im at work or anywhere really if someone says "hey man, how you feeling today?"
i say "with my fingers" and then keep on talking and i love to watch them try and figure it out

its what gets me through the day

on the arm is a good one too
instead if saying "it was free" say "its on the arm"

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is the kind of thread that I find is just tops and or swell!
Noone seems to use that word around these parts anymore?? I always loved it. "Hey how are you today?? Oh I am swell! How about yourself?"

I use tops and swell alot in conversation. Most people know what swell means, and usually only the older folk know what I mean when the day is tops. But even when people know the words, I never hear them spoken anymore. Whats up with that anyways? Drives me up the wall !!!

Olde English is good stuff right?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
A lot of "Drag Slang" and slang from "Paris is Burning"

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

A line from 'The Music Man'

'are certain words creeping into his conversation, words like, "swell", and "so's your old man"?

edit on 30America/ChicagoWed, 18 Nov 2015 22:28:01 -0600Wed, 18 Nov 2015 22:28:01 -060015112015-11-18T22:28:01-06:001000000028 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I ain't just whistlin Dixie when I say I'm three sheets to the wind. I played it real fast and loose but came up with the short end of the stick.. Pretty much anything Humphrey Bogart would say, he had that schtick down to a tee.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
When I was a kid and asked my parents where they were going and they didn't want to tell me, they'd say "going to see a man about a horse".

I have no idea where this came from or if it was common? My folks were born in 1930 so maybe it's just an old farmer saying?

Never heard divinity refer to cake but I don't get out much. I'm also a Fargo fan and missed that line but remember the scene.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

i thought the saying seeing a man about a horse meant when a guy has to take a pee.
maybe not though

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I love the Turing Machine one, totally gonna start using it (with permission of course
)
Edit: I had recently been thinking of the Turing test, which is why it struck my fancy.

edit on 19-11-2015 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

As an idea, it is copacetic (You may research the appellation's definition by perquisition on your turing machine).

Octothorpe copacetic, now there's a thing!
edit on 19/11/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It's not a saying but I always refer to people (in the broad sense) as folk. Not folks, just folk.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija
When I was a kid and asked my parents where they were going and they didn't want to tell me, they'd say "going to see a man about a horse".

I used to get;
"Where's Mum?"
"Gone for two eggs".

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I became hep to the jive of the early 20th century when I was a gigging cat, on the skins.

www.artofmanliness.com...

top topics

join