It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Fired for Calling 6-yr-old “Transgender Boy” Student a Girl

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
Transgender stats

-4 times more likely to have household income under 10k
-41% attempt/commit suicide
-20% will have been homeless
-30% substance abuse

Ghost

Thanks for pointing these stats out. They clearly indicate the need that transgender children require proper family and medical support so that they grow up healthy and happy and avoid these kinds of problems.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager

Transgender stats

-4 times more likely to have household income under 10k
-41% attempt/commit suicide
-20% will have been homeless
-30% substance abuse

I'd love to see the sources for these "stats" ... care to post them?

Thank you kindly in advance.

EDIT: Perhaps you're cherry-picking from this Washington Post article

You forgot a few items:

The largest government-funded population surveys ask for your gender. But the U.S. Census, for example, allows for only two responses: male or female. There’s no option for transgender folks and therefore no way to broadly count them. When you can’t quantify the statistics of a group, Keisling said, you can’t understand its challenges -- or easily lobby for federal funding -- without evidence.

Forty-one percent of transgender people surveyed in Injustice at Every Turn said they had attempted suicide, compared with 1.6 percent of the general population. Risk increased for those who reported bullying, sexual assault and job loss.

So, it's not the fact that these people are trans* that make them suicidal, but perhaps that they are bullied, sexually assaulted and regularly lose their jobs? Do you think that might be caused by people that consider trans* gender identities as pathological?

The same goes for the other "stats" that you offer ... these negative consequences arise from people who treat trans* folks as pariahs and degenerates, not from the fact of being trans* itself.

I've posted the article; folks can read for themselves. Note that all of these "stats" arise from ONE study.
edit on 18-11-2015 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: deliberator
There clearly needs to be more research in this area. It would be interesting to find out if any children with gender dysphoria grow out of this phase.

There already is research, it's very common for them to grow out of it.

It's called Gender Identity Disorder of Childhood, and it's very rare for it to last, it almost always goes away. It's very common for them to become gay in adulthood (about 50% for boys and 75% for girls).

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
/sigh

Low-hanging fruit from Wikipedia:

GIDC (Gender Identity Disorder of Childhood) remained in the DSM from 1980 to 2013, when it was replaced with the diagnosis of "gender dysphoria" in the fifth revision (DSM-5), in an effort to diminish the stigma attached to gender variance while maintaining a diagnostic route to gender affirming medical interventions such as hormone therapy and surgery.

Controversy surrounding the pathologization and treatment of cross-gender identity and behaviors, particularly in children, has been evident in the literature since the 1980s. Proponents argue that therapeutic intervention helps children be more comfortable in their bodies and can prevent adult gender identity disorder. Opponents say that the equivalent therapeutic interventions with gays and lesbians (titled conversion or reparative therapy) have been strongly questioned or declared unethical by the American Psychological Association, American Psychiatric Association, American Association of Social Workers and American Academy of Pediatrics. The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) states that treatment aimed at trying to change a person's gender identity and expression to become more congruent with sex assigned at birth "is no longer considered ethical."Critics also argue that the GIDC diagnosis and associated therapeutic interventions rely on the assumption that an adult transsexual identity is undesirable, challenging this assumption along with the lack of clinical data to support outcomes and efficacy.

Source

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

There clearly needs to be more research in this area. It would be interesting to find out if any children with gender dysphoria grow out of this phase.

It's called Gender Identity Disorder of Childhood, and it's very rare for it to last, it almost always goes away. It's very common for them to become gay in adulthood (about 50% for boys and 75% for girls).

Provide documentation link for this claim.

BTW -- Sexual orientation has nothing to do with being transgender.
edit on 18-11-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

There already is research, it's very common for them to grow out of it.

I'm not sure it is still called that but I concur with your statements. It is common for cross sex/gender ideation to desist in children approaching and beyond puberty and they usually just grow up to be gay. Those that don't desist beyond this age generally are indeed trans.

In cases where it is unclear and often just to make parents and medical professionals feel comfortable, puberty can be reversibly delayed with hormone blockers giving everyone additional time before making making more permanent decisions.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Provide documentation link for this claim.

BTW -- Sexual orientation has nothing to do with being transgender.

Except you are wrong. I am my own documentation as this is what I do, I am educated in and work in Psychiatry. If you want a source ...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

As far as it having nothing to do with sexual orientation, please don't speak when you have no clue what you are talking about.

Existing research indicates that children with GIDC grow out of gender dysphoria, do not grow up to be transgender, and most of them grow up to be homosexual

I already gave the figures, it's about 50% for boys and about 75% for girls becoming gay as adults iirc.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

I'm not sure it is still called that but I concur with your statements.

It's all called Gender Dysphoria now, but really, it should not be. It's a completely different thing in children than in adults, and placing it all under one umbrella diagnosis to satisfy the PC police is a disservice to children and families.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

First of all a fallacious appeal to authority, particularly your own, is hardly convincing.

Second of all, for someone who is an authority (at least in their own mind) in matters psychological would hardly cite an article from a British tabloid as their only source.

Third, it may well be your opinion that you are a higher authority than the American Psychiatric Association and the host of clinicians, psychiatrists and psychologists that have put together the DSM V are wrong in their considered opinions, but that is also, needless to say, hardly convincing.

Perhaps you should state that such postulations are "merely your opinion" rather than incontrovertible fact.

edit on 18-11-2015 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I'm not sure it is still called that but I concur with your statements.
It's all called Gender Dysphoria now, but really, it should not be. It's a completely different thing in children than in adults, and placing it all under one umbrella diagnosis to satisfy the PC police is a disservice to children and families.

Okay, "works in psychiatry", why is gender dysphoria so different in children than in adults? Sounds like you're on board with Blanchard's research?

If so, I kind of agree but regardless of the etiology, the therapies and end result goals are the same.
edit on 11/18/2015 by Freija because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

An actual parent of a transgender child ---- letter response to Dr, Jack Drescher.

Response to Dr. Jack Drescher and the NY Times About Childhood Transition: Part 7, by Halle Sheppard

Why would a parent choose a difficult path for their child? And not just for that child but for the whole family. Difficult decisions, awkward conversations with parents on the little league field and your child’s older sibling having to face his 10 year old friends with this news. Life was pretty rough for all of us for a while. We face strife all of the time. Each time we travel and have to use our son’s legal name, which is a girls’ name, or walk into a doctor’s office and worry they will call him the wrong name. Often, friends and relatives we do not see regularly still use the old name. My husband and I have spent considerable time and energy learning about medications and hormone treatments. It stresses our marriage and our finances! We have both had to have considerable talks with our family members to help them understand. It is a huge burden and some days I want to cry and say “It isn’t fair!!! Why me?! Why do I have to deal with this?!”

gidreform.wordpress.com...

And another one.

A Guest Post by Jenn Burleton Founder and Executive Director of TransActive Education & Advocacy Portland, Oregon

To the Editor: The letter you recently published from Dr. Jack Drescher regarding the case of the Colorado transgender child contained several misleading and outdated statements regarding the future transgender identity of the young girl in question. Most specifically, his categorical statement that “most [transgender/gender dysphoric] children grow up to be gay, not transgender.”

This statement vastly over-generalizes the complexity and diversity of gender nonconforming self-expression and identity in children and youth. As a result, Dr. Drescher helps perpetuate the harmful notion that children who are gender nonconforming or transgender are simply “going through a phase”. His comments not only lend fuel to those who practice gender-reparative therapy (proven to do great psychological harm to these children) but they encourage those who wish to deny the very existence of transgender identity. At TransActive, we have provided clinical counseling and medical referral to more than 100 of these children and youth over the past 6 years. At present, we currently have a Portland, Oregon-area client base of approximately 150 family units and we work in various ways with many more families nationwide.

gidreform.wordpress.com...
ed it on 18-11-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: deliberator

Why are so many sickos trying to gender warp,their children?? This is just common sense. No religion needed.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
Why are so many sickos trying to gender warp,their children?? This is just common sense. No religion needed.

Indeed, parents trying to "gender warp" their children would be sick, unethical and misguided. My parents did their best to "gender warp" me for a while but it didn't take. It only caused anger, rebellion and resentment.

However, when this is spontaneously coming FROM the children, what would you expect the parents to do? Lock them up? Beat them into submission? Send them for conversion therapy? That would be equally sick and unethical.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

A six year old making it's own lifelong decisions to change sex ?
And IT has gay parents ?

Not a good look for the LBGT propaganda machine .

Fully sick ...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

First of all a fallacious appeal to authority, particularly your own, is hardly convincing.

So your claim is that it does NOT typically go away?

Maybe you should have read the source so you do not look a fool. It was written by Dr Jack Drescher. He is an expert in the field of sexual orientation and identity, and worked on the DSM-5. Feel free to look him up and claim he is a tabloid expert.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Oh wow a letter from a PARENT. Ever heard of the term logical fallacy? I cited an article written by an expert who helped write the new DSM-5.

Ignorance can be fixed, foolishness is much harder.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: radarloveguy

And IT has gay parents ?

Fully sick ...

Ugh! Neither the child or his parents are making lifelong decisions to "change sex".

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

However, when this is spontaneously coming FROM the children, what would you expect the parents to do? Lock them up? Beat them into submission? Send them for conversion therapy? That would be equally sick and unethical.

Or recognize it's most likely a phase and not take a side either way.

Beating them is equally disgusting as having surgery performed to change their identity.

Maybe, here's a shocker, the parent can just love them and recognize what is true today may change tomorrow, and either way it has nothing to do with love.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: radarloveguy

And IT has gay parents ?

Fully sick ...

Ugh! Neither the child or his parents are making lifelong decisions to "change sex".

You might be surprised.

I believe some children as young as 4 have been given sex-changing treatments.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Vector99
Reading again, I thought this sounded somewhat familiar. The child's parents happen to be 2 homosexual males that encourage her to "be a boy".

Take from that what you would like...

What would you like us to take from it?

Is there some greater likelihood of something because his parents are same-sexed?

As a matter of fact yes, since you decided to go there. You don't encourage a child to be the opposite gender, and ESPECIALLY if you are homosexual parents to begin with. Children are absolutely a product of their environment and upbringing, so if mom and mom or dad and dad are gay, ofcourse the child wants to fit in so not knowing what it means says I WANT TO BE GAY TOO!

Well now, daddy's lil princess just became his GI Joe and he's none the happier but to support and love his child and give them what they want!

Here's the thing, we DON'T give 5 and 6 year old's everything they want, because they don't freaking know any better. That is the PARENT'S job to step in and be the PARENT, not the loving gay daddy that is so proud of his new "son".

SMH over and over, what is wrong with people.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join