It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bulgarian Man Survives Blood Alcohol Level Twice The Fatal Limit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
A Bulgarian man presented at the local emergency room with a blood alcohol level so high the doctors checked the level 5 times. The man had a reading of 0.914, or more that 10 times what would be considered drunk in most states. Lethal blood alcohol levels usually occur at the 0.55 level. In most areas 0.08 is considered legally impaired. The man was conscious and able to communicate.

story.news.yahoo.com
SOFIA, Bulgaria - Incredulous doctors made five blood tests on a drunken man to confirm he had a blood-alcohol content of 0.914, far above the usual life-threatening range, police and doctors said Tuesday.
The 67-year-old man, whose name was not released, was hospitalized Dec. 20, when a car knocked him down on a street in the southern Bulgarian city of Plovdiv.

A breath test showed high blood alcohol level, but police officers thought the result was inaccurate, because the man was conscious and talked with them, said Col. Angel Rangelov, head of police in Plovdiv.

Laboratory analysis of five subsequent blood samples taken the same day confirmed that the man had had a 0.914 blood alcohol content, Rangelov said. An 0.55 blood-alcohol level is usually considered as life-threatening.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the highest I have ever seen. Most of the severely drunk teens we see in the ICU are in the 0.4-0.5 range and they suffer some kind of neurological impairment. This guy must be a serious alcoholic and drinks every day to excess to build up that level of tolerance. I would hate to see his liver numbers. They must be off the scale.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
ALLRIGHT

Someone to party with that wont slow me down

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Crikey...there's hope for me yet

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The saddest part if this is that anyone would drink that much to begin with! I mean, why!? FOr what reason......stupidity!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is my man
I'm from Bulgaria too and this not so unusual

You won't believe how much alcohol is used in average teen party in Bulgaria!!! Usually people/hard(VODKA,RUM,RAKIQ) alcohol(ml)=1/1500.

Just come and visit us! We are the best party makers

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
ALLRIGHT

Someone to party with that wont slow me down

Amuk you and I would be passed out waaaaaay before we hit 0.40 Its hard to get it that high unless you are hard core. Ill put money that that guy lives everyday around 0.2-0.4 and get the shakes if he drops below that.

I can only imagine the rot gut he is drinking.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by X_FACTOR
This is my man
I'm from Bulgaria too and this not so unusual

X_FACTOR - you are right - I've read somewhere (sorry I cannot provide link right now), that most of Slavic nations are pretty immune to alcohol -it has to do something with the diet based on fat, if I'm not mistaken. It would be correct to think that way -especially if you compare them to Japanese -their diet is low fat -and they get drunk very fast...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I read somewhere that the true slavs (Polish, Russians, Czechs) have livers that are able to proccess more alcohol than other races.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I read in the Guiness Book of World Records several years ago that the highest BAC ever recorded was well over one-point something and I'm thinking over two. But I don't have that book any more and annoyingly can't find a source on the internet. It was incredibly freakin' high. And it was a chick.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomek_the_Terrible
I read somewhere that the true slavs (Polish, Russians, Czechs) have livers that are able to proccess more alcohol than other races.

It's evolution man
If you get drunk regularly you'll soon be able to drink more and more and ofcourse you'll pass this "ability" to your children! And after generetions of hevy drunkers(like slavs nations like mine) the livers that are able to proccess more alcohol are just something necessary

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
The saddest part if this is that anyone would drink that much to begin with! I mean, why!? FOr what reason......stupidity!

It is called addiction for which there is no medical cure for.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I would hate to have to pay this guys tab. But still this guy earned it. This guy is going to have a lucrative career appearing on beer commercials.:w:

[edit on 1/4/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I would hate to have to pay this guys tab. But still this guy earned it. This guy is going to have a lucrative career appearing on beer commercials.:w

The only think this guy is going to apear in is a pine box, or a liver transplant unit. I can only imagine the ascities he has

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
To be fair, it doesn't actually say anything about how much he had drunk, if any. One of my friends kept getting arrested for being over the legal limit even if he hadn't been drinking because for some odd reason he naturally had a certain alcohol level in his blood, drinking or not, and it was over the legal limit (and no he was not permanently drunk :p was just as if he hadn't drunk anything). Maybe it had something to do with that? He has a naturally high blood alcohol content and just topped it up.

Or he's hardcore.

One or the other

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slashpepper
To be fair, it doesn't actually say anything about how much he had drunk, if any. One of my friends kept getting arrested for being over the legal limit even if he hadn't been drinking because for some odd reason he naturally had a certain alcohol level in his blood, drinking or not, and it was over the legal limit (and no he was not permanently drunk :p was just as if he hadn't drunk anything). Maybe it had something to do with that? He has a naturally high blood alcohol content and just topped it up.

Or he's hardcore.

One or the other

I can agree with this.. They say when you die you have some type of achol level in your system.. whos to say it can happen while you are alive..

new topics

top topics

join