It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson’s campaign made a U.S. map and put a bunch of states in the wrong place

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Oh the irony! According to the National Geographic Society, “too many young Americans are unable to make effective decisions, understand Geo-spatial issues, or even recognize their impacts as global citizens.”

In order to combat this deficit in American education, the society has created an annual Geography Awareness Week, which coincidentally started on November 15th, adding insult to injury.

Ben Carson's presidential campaign inadvertently underscored this point Tuesday night, when it took to social media to share a map of the United States in which five New England states were placed in the wrong location. The campaign deleted the Twitter and Facebook posts Wednesday morning after media outlets and social media users pointed out the error.

Source

Here's the tweet:

LOL!!!

As you can see, in Carson's map the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine are moved northeast by about 150 miles or so. Vermont and New York now have hundreds of miles of new beachfront property. Massachusetts shares a border with Canada. Maine straddles what is now the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

Here's the comparison:

I mean, I'm willing to forgive a man for being human, but someone running for President of the United States should understand the layout of our country.

Also, if you look closely at the mid-Atlantic area, you'll see that Virginia's portion of the Delmarva Peninsula is colored red to match Maryland, rather than gray with the rest of Virginia.

The article goes on to express the difficulties that Americans have with geography, especially outside of the United States. In an almost sympathetic manner, they lump Mr. Carson's geographic blunder into the shortfalls exhibited by the rest of our youth.

A study last year found that a majority of Americans couldn't place Ukraine on a map, for instance. And many of them were way, way off. Then there was the time CNN placed Hong Kong in Brazil during a newscast. Vox recently collected "27 hilariously bad maps that explain nothing."

A 2006 survey commissioned by National Geographic found that six in 10 young Americans couldn't find Iraq on a map of the Middle East, and half couldn't place New York on a map of the United States. Geographic literacy matters for "navigating the international economy or understanding the relationships among people and places that provide critical context for world events," the survey concluded.

The Washington Post is calling it “a single mishap by a graphic designer who's having a Really Bad Day.” The campaign itself did not respond to a request for comment. Call it a hit piece, I call it hilarious. Apparently, Ben Carson didn't “approve this message.”

edit on 18-11-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Was the map found in his email server with other gov't data or did he get assistance from Obama on the number of states?

I'm not saying the guy isn't questionable but this is not even a burp when it comes to politics.

However I find it strangely appealing that that the MSM does not appear to like him and the dirt they have found on him has only been specks of grains compared to the others.
edit on 171130America/ChicagoWed, 18 Nov 2015 18:17:08 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Very funny.

He is a very intelligent man but not a good politician.

Makes me wonder if politicians are generally good people but not very intelligent.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I laughed a little.

Not as much as when Obama said he visited 57 states... and still had more to go. HA!

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: thethirdchoice

Makes me wonder if politicians are generally good people but not very intelligent.

I would say they are very intelligent while the majority are not, as they continue to scr8w the general public from both sides. Yet the masses swear this year, it will be different and its the other parties fault.

edit on 061130America/ChicagoWed, 18 Nov 2015 18:06:34 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Crap that means main is further away. Now I will have to take extra supply's for my trip up the Appalachian trail.

For real Dr. Carson should of proof read his campaign overseers work first.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Are you calling me stupid?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

I laughed a little.

Not as much as when Obama said he visited 57 states... and still had more to go. HA!

Has he been to China yet?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

I laughed a little.

Thanks, it wasn't meant to be taken that seriously.

It appears Mr. Carson has a little too much "faith" in his team, lol.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Maybe this is a covert attempt to realign the states/counties borders to maximise the popular Republican votes in those particular states to ensure a victory. Here, in Northern Ireland that was done overtly, and was known as Gerrymandering.

I have no fecking idea who Gerry was!
....I shouldn't have said that last sentence, I was fibbing!
edit on 18-11-2015 by smurfy because: An Ooops!

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well that's a novel way to reshape the U.S.

Good job

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

LOL, I don't know you personally so no.

However, I hope you really don't think that the GOP or the DNC candidate will fix the issues that have existed for the last 4-5 decades at minimum.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I can tell you this.... we won't be talking about these issues any more.... because they are going to create new MUCH WORSE ONES.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I agree on that point of view. Take Bush Jr for example, seemed nice and funny but dumb as a screen door on a typhoon class sub. Clinton was just as bad he was what we southerns call cock hound, but still not the brightest. Obama, he's cool, hip and snappy, but nieve.

Did I want them for president, No. Would I party with them you dang Skippy I would

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I would like to correct you but history indicates while it gets better for the Oligopolies it continues to get worse for the general folks. So I won't take that bet.

Once the TPP goes full force and they neutralize the peoples voice on the internet it surely will get much worse.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

True but the way the system is setup a politicians job is not to be smart but purchasable and controllable.

The DNC and the GOP ensures this.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That is a big Roger!!! On that.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Sometimes I think that Carson, Clinton and Bush are intentionally screwing their own campaigns in order to make Trump win.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

OMG!

I can't vote for him now.

A graphics guy made a mistake.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It looks like they cropped the states in question in order to fit the right border. But just my opinion....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join