It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Tsunami: Possibly Crippled Terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The Asian region devastated by a tsunami the day after Christmas was home to several terrorists organizations, key areas of infrastructure for other terrorist organizations besides Al Qaeda and where many terrorist have fled in recent years for safehaven. This open a door to US Intelligence agencies and other intelligence agencies to walk in the door to suspected terrorists hideouts.

www.cnn.com
Terrorism has been no stranger to the region. Gunaratna became an expert on suicide bombings many years ago because the Tamil Tigers in his homeland began using such attacks as early as 1987.

It was precisely in these areas that the devastation was worst. Some of it, says Gunaratna, took a toll on the terrorist and insurgent movements, who lost both fighters and infrastructure when the waves crashed on shore.

Another expert on terrorism, Zach Abuza, a professor in Southeast Asian studies at Simmons College in Boston, Massachusetts, says the opportunity is there not just for the United States, but for the governments of these countries as well to win a propaganda victory by providing aid not just now, but in the years to come.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I know the questions have been raised about the infliction laid upon terrorists cells and organizations, hopefully this will unveil many things and hamper operations.

Hopefully, with fast movement of these intelligence agencies they will be able to obtain information left over by the floods and devastation and open the wound more to those cells and organizations. This could very well impede operations and bring terrorism down to nil worldwide.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The indonesian army is believed to use the oppertunity to hunt the rebels in Atjeh, wich must have been hurt badly (like the rest of the population overthere)

Also on television I saw how the indonesian army recovered army materials from the flooded cities instead of help cleaning up the bodies that were lying everywhere, this to the anger of many survivors, this is bad PR that is not going to help eradicate the rebels, because ultimately, you need support of the local population, not everything can be controlled with a gun

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
We can always hope after a disaster that the level of hate and violence in the world will decrease (ie. less terrorism etc.). There seems to be so many terrorists in the world today that you almost need total destruction of the planet with a large comet that causes mile high waves. Of course almost everyone else would perish along with all the terrorists. No one left alive in the world would mean that all terrorists are dead. Guess there are always tradeoffs though. I don't see any decrease of the levels of hate and violence in the world in areas not affected by the tsunami though. It would be nice to be proven wrong especially if Iraq became a peaceful place.

DpS

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
The indonesian army is believed to use the oppertunity to hunt the rebels in Atjeh, wich must have been hurt badly (like the rest of the population overthere)

Also on television I saw how the indonesian army recovered army materials from the flooded cities instead of help cleaning up the bodies that were lying everywhere, this to the anger of many survivors, this is bad PR that is not going to help eradicate the rebels, because ultimately, you need support of the local population, not everything can be controlled with a gun

From the way you spelled Aceh, I guess you are Acehnese? Hey... seriously man I went there as a aid group part of the HNSI (Indonesian Fisheries Association). I used to dislike the military on how they handle some things... but I do not understand why they are the source of blame of the indonesian media. No Indonesian media show any images of them helping. Not only that so many heroic stories from the military either... No media had provide coverage to that too... "Just an example, one member of Yonif (division)150 tried to rescue an old woman who were strugelling to hold on to the pile of trees when the wave struct, marine tried to rescue her he swim with a rope tied on his chest... ultimately he was abled to reach her but a big pile of object comes fast and both of them died. I thinks that is a heroic way of dying, and by the way there is more heroic stories that I heard from the people back there... but the media never actually tell a story about this which I am wondering how biased the media is?

People dont respect the military, honesly they only get paid arround 50 dollars a month... they are servant, they do whatever they can without questioning... they dont complain much about anything, just before I arrived in Mellabouh on the 5th day... there allready have pockets of military men who had disease inflicted on them because improper procedure of removing some dead boddies. But, even now... the media has not shown any??

And btw, Mellabouh is not as devestated as the media says... There is a large part of Mellabouh that are still intact... and this area is porportionally huge. It is ackward how the people there who werent inflicted by the disaster werent helping... "I held a box of noodles filled with water to hand in to some of this people in Waroung (traditional shop that sells ciggs and food)" I am stunned by their reply which I never seriously thought it would came right in my face.... its very stressful how he said "Oh we wont accept anything if the box is broken or some parts are teared a part." for someone who tries to help these people, from their bottom of heart, they came there volluntarilly and this is the kind of reply they get??? How did you feel, and BTW its not only me, there is chunck of Indonesian volunteers who felt that way too.

But there is also some sadness during my experience there... a refugee from some of the village outside mellabouh came to receive the aid, out of 400 resident in one village only 17 survive. and 5 of em are children.
I opened a carton of Milk and hand it to them... that was the time when I emotionally couldnt handle my self, I went in some place where is not packed with people and cried, it was the saddest moment of my life. And more of em come to received the aid, but these people they do not complain whether the pack is broken or teared appart? I still dont understand why someone from that region who were not inflicted by the disasster acted with a behavious like that, not only that some of these folks were looting a property that was not belong to them.

Off course the military take action to these folks, but again it was an upportunity for Human Rights NGO to said that they are doing Human Right Abuse... DUH! they are looting... Looting is a crime. I am an NGO my self but I would never take such advantage to provide fallse statment esspecilly to those who helped.

top topics

join