It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the UK Launch Airstrikes against ISIS in Syria ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I hope this is in the right place, if not could a Mod please move it

I have just been watching Sky news and they had the caption "Should the UK Launch Airstrikes against ISIS in Syria" they had a couple of people giving their opinion, former Labour Home Secretary David Blunket, former Defence Secretay Liam Fox, and some other bloke, I am looking for a link to the story but its not overly important, but David Cameron is going to be pushing the issue (again) in Parliment.

Listening to the Politicians is one thing but what do ATS think (especially the British ones)

For what its worth my thoughts are NO we shouldn't, we should in my opinion pull out of the ME altogether, regain control of our borders and take care of our own problems at home and leave the ME to sort its problems out, what ever we do will obviously not sit well with someone but we are not going to achieve anything else by meddling in the affairs of others

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well personally, I would start with getting the permission of the sovereign leader of Syria (Assad) and I would get the permission of the UK citizens. Maybe even ask Russia if they even need that kind of assistance.
edit on 18-11-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Well personally, I would start with getting the permission of the sovereign leader of Syria (Assad) and I would get the permission of the UK citizens. Maybe even ask Russia if they even need that kind of assistance.

Exactly

Permission from the government of Syria is needed before bombing their landscape. Anything else is just wrong.

Added to this Britain must end backing ALL terrorists in the region as they ultimately all piss in the same pot with equipment ending up in the hand of Isis.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
No I don't think we should for a number of reasons:

1) It will fuel recruitment and bolster support for IS
2) IS is all over the place so impossible to completely obliterate
3) IS ideology (at top level) wants to bring all out war
4) There will be mass civilian casualties
5) If we do the impossible and destroy IS we will just be repeating the same never ending cycle again and new extremists groups will emerge out of this

What I think we should be doing is taking a serious look at how we can starve IS of funding, support and new recruits, I mean they are raking in an estimated $1.5m DAILY from oil sales!!!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If Cameron can come up with a realistic plan that will, help with an endgame and exit strategy I'll be interested to hear it. We didn't really help things in Libya, so unless we have a plan for afterwards I'm skeptical and need convincing. If we don't address our relationships with the Wahhabist countries in the region we are wasting our time. It's about time we started using our diplomatic pressure on Saudi Arabia and Qatar to help us and the refugees from the crisis, rather them just allow them with offering more mosques for Europe
edit on 18-11-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

We can't do this with bombing from the air alone, we are going to need some boots on the ground, which I always hesitate to recommend as they wont be my or anyone I knows boots. Relying on others to do the dirty work on my behalf, but we can't win this one from the air alone
edit on 18-11-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Does it really matter what we think? They wrote the script on this one years ago. Okay, it didn't get through Parliament in 2014, but with the advent of Daesh in the region and the crimes being committed in the name of Terror by this group in Europe, people are crying out for Syria to be bombed.

Let's be perfectly honest about the whole situation, Daesh has been funded by the U.S and her allies. When the U.K Parliament voted against bombing raids against the sovereign Government, and Obama said he wouldn't go it alone, Daesh's ugly head was very quickly plastered all over the media. They couldn't give us enough of them and once you are brainwashed into believing the B.S they are feeding us, then you are fair game for supporting the commencement of bombing Syria.

Jeremy Corbyn suggested we should place sanctions on countries funding Daesh, and taking action on banks that are allowing Daesh to keep their funds with them. Of course Cameron didn't have an answer except to suggest that doing any of that without bombing the living daylight a out of Syria, would achieve nothing.

So it's going to happen, no matter what we think.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Well personally, I would start with getting the permission of the sovereign leader of Syria (Assad)......

Unfortunately this runs contrary to Cameron and Obama's aim - they want regime change.....in other words someone who is in their pocket, or should I say someone who is in the pocket of those whose agenda Cameron and Obama etc seek to further.

Of course 'we' should be doing everything to exterminate IS regardless of whether they are in Iraq or Syria or even France or the UK.

Personally I think its time to 'take the gloves off' and get serious....I guess I'll get flamed by the apologists, PC Brigade and those who see conspiracies in everything etc but I'm slightly weary of explaining myself to those who seek to blame anyone and everything rather than those who are actually committing these heinous acts.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dam00

The UK has been launching air strikes against IS for some time now.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It seems like the mores the west gets involved the worse things gets.

The problem seems to be we have now reached a state where we have to do something because we have made it so bad to do nothing would now make it worse still.

In short the west has totally F'ed up the region.

Should to UK attack, I don't think so, i think that when other nations are doing it we can keep out of it.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Yes but only if they can come to some plan of action with a end goal.

edit on 18-11-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Problem is the way I see it we are already at war with ISIS.

They are not going to go away if we just ignore them.

link   

Deal with terrorism by starting another genocide.

Does not sound like a good idea to me.

snf

link   

Yes, and the long answer yes. A ground invasion and occupation will likely occur from all of this and probably must in order to snuff these extremists out.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Yeah I kinda noticed that, but the topic is Syria.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Not in Syria.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I agree its going to happen without the public even getting a say.

Is there really any solid proof that Governments are funding ISIS ?
Is it not more likley they have some high profile benefactors who are residents in these countries.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Yes, and the long answer yes. A ground invasion and occupation will likely occur from all of this and probably must in order to snuff these extremists out.

But when has that ever solved the problem, we go there to help and then end up making more enemys.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Yes but only if they can come to some plain of action with a end goal.

Aside from the curious fact that there are some fairly substantial Arab armies in the region that are somehow not engaging these dogs...
This is not a bombing war, this is not an infantry war, this is a job for special forces. A lot of them. All these countries, mine included, that are bombing ought to get a few select boots on the ground and get surgical. I'm a peace loving guy, and I know all about the geopolitical intricacies, etc, but it's time to take these clowns out.
Anonymous, of all folks, are shutting down their communications...how about the money trail? If there is a will, they can be eradicated. Conversely, should that will fail to materialise, then it's time to take a closer look, closer to home.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Problem is the way I see it we are already at war with ISIS.

They are not going to go away if we just ignore them.

True but only because since the turn of the west when you really think about it the only thing the west has done is destabilise the ME.

I can totally understand that there is a very strong argument to be made for more involvement.

I however think that enough is enough, every time we interfere we just make it so much worse so its obviously just not working.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Deal with terrorism by starting another genocide.

Does not sound like a good idea to me.

snf

I think genocide is a bit strong, unless we end up dropping a couple of nukes over there. I do get where your coming from though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join