It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French President Francois Hollande Welcomes Refugees Despite Paris Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

French President Francois Hollande today promised that “France will remain a country of freedom,” defending his decision to honor a commitment to accept migrants and refugees despite Friday’s deadly terrorist attacks in Paris.

“Life should resume fully,” Hollande told a gathering of the country’s mayors, who gave him a standing ovation. “What would France be without its museums, without its terraces, its concerts, its sports competitions?

“France should remain as it is. Our duty is to carry on our lives.”

In the same spirit, he added, “30,000 refugees will be welcomed over the next two years. Our country has the duty to respect this commitment,” explaining that they will undergo vigorous security checks.

I'm relieved that France has decided to stay true to it's openness and not let fear change that. Of course not everyone is happy with the decision, especially with the increase from 24,000 to 30,000 commitment to take take in Syrian refugees. The ultra-right wing political party known as National Front (FN) has tried to seize upon the fear and grief caused by the horrific and brutal attacks in Paris to gain support and votes for the upcoming French elections in December.

The prevailing opinion of the current pulse of France is that the French people largely want to continue to allow refugees and have no interest in becoming more nationalistic. I guess we'll see in December. Videos have surfaced of Nationals, chanting anti-Islamic rhetoric, being rejected from vigils and gatherings to mourn, with counter-chants of "Fascists go home!"

I hope also that the French people resist push for increased surveillance and repeating the mistakes of the US after 9/11.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I heard a rumor that they're only taking Christian Syrian Refugees though, leaving very few Christian refugees left for America to choose from!

Just kidding! Ted Cruz and Jeb Bush should be ashamed of themselves! Not kidding!

edit on 18-11-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There are going to be larger problems. This is just like the US. The French people do not want it allowed but the government is forcing them. Kind of like the US. That to me is worse than some surveillance to stop future attacks. More than 70 in the US in the last 18 months have been arrested and tied to ISIS/ISIL.

www.dailymail.co.uk... tml

I mean, they demonized him in the MSM but what about Chris Cornell? The guy arrested who was plotting an attack on the Capital.

After Paris, you cannot say that it cannot be done. They are here. There is NO need for any more immigrants in the US or any other country forced on tax payers buy politicians to gain from.

I am not heartless. If they want to allow immigrants in the US, they should be allowed in and for 6 months held in a detention facility that can be created in Arizona. It would give us time to background these people. #, I have to have a background check to buy a gun but lets allow a bunch of undocumented people in?
edit on 11pm30pmf0000002015-11-18T15:09:49-06:000349 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

...explaining that they will undergo vigorous security checks.

As long as we do that too I have no problem with trying to help other human beings in need.

edit on 18-11-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree!

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

There are going to be larger problems. This is just like the US. The French people do not want it allowed but the government is forcing them. Kind of like the US. That to me is worse than some surveillance to stop future attacks. More than 70 in the US in the last 18 months have been arrested and tied to ISIS/ISIL.

The Daily Mail is going to focus on those that don't want refugees even previous to the Paris attacks, the nationalists. There are a lot that do want them including French people, despite the attacks. All refugees and immigrants are going to be much more heavily scrutinized from now on... everywhere.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

news.sky.com...

Yeah, these are just the types of people I am sure the collective wants. Go out on the street of PAris RIGHT NOW and ask 10 people, non muslim and Parisian citizens, and tell me how they feel right now.

I will tell you. Like those in the US who do not want the influx. The citizen and not the politician.

Unless you take ANY immigrant and hold them for 30 days to investigate this will never be solved. If I was running for a war torn country I would wait a lifetime to get to a place I could be safe with my family.

edit on 11pm30pmf0000002015-11-18T15:45:29-06:000329 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

There's some that want to close the borders, yes. My perception is that most don't. The December elections should be telling.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yeah well. Give it a year or two, when the next attack comes. It's a matter of time.

What the world really needs is totalitarian states, with a leader like Hitler.

- And yes. I am super serious. Hitler was a great leader, even though he did have some... well... rather psychotic sides.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Terrorists should not dictate the policies of a country.

Good on you France, love over fear shall we vanquish evil.

L'amour vainquera tout. Bravo! Ne lachez pas!

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I wonder what Napoleon would do

new topics

top topics

join