It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you have read the Quran?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I am curious. I have not read it myself, but I am thinking about giving it a go. It seems to me that unless someone has read the book there is really no sensible basis on which it can be judged.

Many of the posts are vilifying the religion and citing this as the cause rather than understanding complex social, historical, political economic and regional factors that all have an effect when it comes to influencing people to commit acts of brutality.

With that in mind, as a curious person who likes to delve into things and seek to understand them to aid in forming an emotionally intelligent and logical opinion, it has occurred to me that it would make sense to read the Quran and decide for myself if it is spreads good or bad sentiment.

This is why, I ask then, if all the people who keenly express an opinion on the religion and teachings have also arrived at this conclusion and are basing their opinions on first hand analysis after reading it, as opposed to what they have been told, or been influenced to believe by others.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Ectospasm

It's basically the same stories in the bible but different.

Kinda like when the show "Ugly Betty" was popular. They had different versions of the show with different actors shown all over the world. Same story, just different.
edit on 18-11-2015 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Unlike the bible, which I have read several times over, I have only read sections of the Quran. Nevertheless, one need not read the bible or Quran to decide they neither believe nor agree with either. If someone wants to read both to understand them better, that's their choice. But it isn't necessary if you do some reasonable research.
edit on 11/18/2015 by Klassified because: corrections

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think you need to read the Hadiths too if you're trying to get a handle on current interpretations of Islam.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ectospasm
I am curious. I have not read it myself, but I am thinking about giving it a go. It seems to me that unless someone has read the book there is really no sensible basis on which it can be judged.

Many of the posts are vilifying the religion and citing this as the cause rather than understanding complex social, historical, political economic and regional factors that all have an effect when it comes to influencing people to commit acts of brutality.

With that in mind, as a curious person who likes to delve into things and seek to understand them to aid in forming an emotionally intelligent and logical opinion, it has occurred to me that it would make sense to read the Quran and decide for myself if it is spreads good or bad sentiment.

This is why, I ask then, if all the people who keenly express an opinion on the religion and teachings have also arrived at this conclusion and are basing their opinions on first hand analysis after reading it, as opposed to what they have been told, or been influenced to believe by others.

I've read bits and pieces. The gist I've gotten out of it is that it's mainly about mercy, it's the purest form of the Torah and gospel, and preaches an eye for an eye.
Just like all other monotheistic Abrahamic religious books out there.

The book was most likely written over a period of time, not even 10 years after Muhammad got his message from the angel, he started an uneasy campaign with the supposed 'pagans' in the area, and this area was Mecca. He faced a lot of persecution, and ridicule, and it eventually lead to a bloody war against other tribes and what not, this is why there is most likely a lot in the Qurran about spreading the word by the sword and what not.
It's a crazy subject, a lot of fighting, a lot of separation, but also a lot of growing was done as well, most Muslims area peaceful and use it's bloody past to preach mercy, and peace.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

They are the scholars interpretations right?
The thing is, I think it might be better to read the book itself first and not rely so much on other peoples interpretations if that makes sense?
I guess it might be interesting to read about them afterwards, but I would be concerned that if I read them alongside or before, they might color my opinion too much.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

How many people have read the entire Quran and understand what it says? Probably the same amount of people that have read the entire Bible and understand what it says. I'd say less than 1% of the people on ATS.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
A lot of people on ATS talk like they've read it.

Like they can comprehend it.

I'm suspicious of that.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It's very difficult to read the Qur'an. Your best bet would be to go to a sit that have both Arabic and English translation together.

I found it to be very repetitive. Like a song with the same verse again and again and again.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Which seems kind of odd really, in terms of both religions, they invoke such passionate views and emotions yet we are saying that possibly only 1 percent (maybe less) have actually read either. How can we make an informed judgement?

I have read neither yet I too seem to have opinions which I had thought were based on sound reasoning, but when I stopped to consider my thoughts, suddenly asked myself the question, what am I really basing my opinions on?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I've had the same idea, but can't get myself around to it. I get the feeling I should read through the bible first atleast...
When you read it, remember to put it in context... think about the time and the area in which it was written.

I get the feeling that the worst muslims liks IS actually forget to do that themselves.
Just like I wouldn't read bible today and go look for burning bushes.

But it's dangerous, you might end up understanding them
Just like if you had been in Berlin during the late 20s and 30s you could probably also understand (not the same as sympathising) why Hitler made the choices he did.

Inciting texts are written out of passion, and more often than not their value dies or diminishes in time after the initial passion has past.

The only ideas I've found to be ever prevaling are the ideas and philosophies found in buddhist dialogues (the ones that don't preach or tell you what to do). The less there is to say the more value it holds.

Also, about the quran; Sunnis and Shiites believe in different significance of the characters, almost like christians and jews. That makes me wonder if the Quran indeed is hard to read... if you can read 1 book and come out of it discussing wether the father held more value or the cousin.... I mean what the hell?
edit on 18/11/15 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Very repetative and quite hard going really. Its not a very long book so go for it. I generally only use mine as a reference now

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

How many of you have read the Quran?

I have, the writers have no respect for God and Jesus Christ.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
If you are to understand how radical Islam exists then it is imperative you read the Koran.
It is a very dry read(think King James Bible)

Many years ago I became curious as to why a culture of misogyny could persist in the modern age and sought to understand it...

The Koran IMHO is the Old Testament with the hadiths being the New Testament...you need to read those as well since they are compilations of Mohammed's statements/actions....much like the gospel chapters of the bible...

It gave me an incredibly dense insight into Islam...pun intended

one of my favorite books was Enders game....I remember reading a quote to the effect if you truly understand your enemy, for a moment you come to love them...unfortunately I never found that to be the case with my studies on Islam.

Sharia is the child of the Koran, the hadiths and the basis for all which radical Islam bases itself upon.
Islam, IMHO, is in a state of social evolution tantamount to inquisition era Spain...while many spaniards were undoubtedly kind, the facts of their oppression were/are undeniable.

Until Islam evolves past this point of evolution and embraces the ideals of scientific and social evolution can they move past their archaic sensibilities...

We of the high west have done so and found ourselves on the moon....Islam I hope will do as the west did centuries ago and evolve...

Unfortunately the Koran and hadiths, if followed strictly in a sharia governance then any and all scientific achievement will be forfeit unless it propels the prophets message...

Christian societies long since severed religion from governance....lets hope Islam does the same some day because after you read the Koran and hadiths you will pray that form of rule never reaches yours shores...

-Christosterone

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

During the years that I used to adhere to Islam, I read the Qur'an daily, in both Arabic and various English translations.

The entire Qur'an can easily be read in 30 days using the ajiza divisions. The ajiza (plural) divides the Qur'an into 30 sections, allowing you to read one juz (singular) a day.

edit on 11/18/15 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/18/15 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

Thanks I clicked on that link and found this quote from the first recommended reading:

‘We believe in God, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to all prophets from their Lord. We make no difference between one and another of them, and we submit to God.’” 2:136

That is not at all what I expected to find, I am really surprised so far.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I've never read any religious texts. Only the quotes that get posted on ATS justifying bigotry and homophobia which kind of conflicted with my Church of England education of religions. I never got into Harry Potter either

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I've read the entire Bible, more than once and have a good grasp on it. I have read sections of the Quran.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Like any religious texts the world over they have been misinterpreted over the ages, hand me down by laws of original wisdom, polluted, on purpose even, to control people or mislead them.

The trick is to find out how the people that wrote the texts got the wisdom to do that.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
If you are to understand how radical Islam exists then it is imperative you read the Koran.
It is a very dry read(think King James Bible)

Many years ago I became curious as to why a culture of misogyny could persist in the modern age and sought to understand it...

The Koran IMHO is the Old Testament with the hadiths being the New Testament...you need to read those as well since they are compilations of Mohammed's statements/actions....much like the gospel chapters of the bible...

It gave me an incredibly dense insight into Islam...pun intended

one of my favorite books was Enders game....I remember reading a quote to the effect if you truly understand your enemy, for a moment you come to love them...unfortunately I never found that to be the case with my studies on Islam.

Sharia is the child of the Koran, the hadiths and the basis for all which radical Islam bases itself upon.
Islam, IMHO, is in a state of social evolution tantamount to inquisition era Spain...while many spaniards were undoubtedly kind, the facts of their oppression were/are undeniable.

Until Islam evolves past this point of evolution and embraces the ideals of scientific and social evolution can they move past their archaic sensibilities...

We of the high west have done so and found ourselves on the moon....Islam I hope will do as the west did centuries ago and evolve...

Unfortunately the Koran and hadiths, if followed strictly in a sharia governance then any and all scientific achievement will be forfeit unless it propels the prophets message...

Christian societies long since severed religion from governance....lets hope Islam does the same some day because after you read the Koran and hadiths you will pray that form of rule never reaches yours shores...

-Christosterone

That is not what I have found in it all. But, if you are right, evangelical Christians have to evolve to the present as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join