It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safer Stoves For Migrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Rebuilding after the Friday 13th fire at the migrant camp known as
'The Jungle'. www.demotix.com...

Does anyone feel a repeat fire is inevitable?

This doesn't look safe.

Migrants who live in highly flammable structure built close together will benefit from safer stoves.

Here's a video that shows a usable rocket stove. Helpfully this video also suggests the construction of the stove could be continued to make a rocket mass heater with a heated bench for sitting on.

Here's a useful rocket stove link. www.rocketstove.org...

With safer stoves the fire risk at migrant camps will be greatly reduced.
edit on 17 11 2015 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Here's another useful video.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Oh yeah, the second one is much better. However it's only good for cooking. Nothing can replace the radiant heat from a cast iron stove to raise temperature in a tent at freezing temperature. The spark arrester is a must too. Even in a well-preserved 2 layer military tent without visible holes the amount of consumed fuel is enormous. It needs to be constantly red at -10 or -20 degrees even if you have a good sleeping bag, sleeping pad and dry clothes. It's pallets of pellets. Trucks of pellets. Only the army has such logistic capacity. Looking at some pictures I'm very afraid of them. People will start dying soon if we underestimate the situation. There's also the danger of epidemic.
edit on 17/11/2015 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

We used carpets for insulation, it makes an enormous difference. Carpets are often thrown out but can be difficult to carry. The best one I found was a clean deep pile white wool carpet smelling of perfume. I had to cut it in half to carry it. It transformed my winter.

This isn't a very good example but it's the best I could find at short notice.

www.shelltosea.com...

It looks like they've used sheets, rugs and blankets here. Cotton sheets are highly flammable, especially when warm and dry in a well heated shelter. Wool is naturally fire resistant.

We also used a thick mat of vegetation on the ground. A layer of twiggy branches allows water to flow in very wet conditions. A layer of rushes or straw on top of that makes a warm and comfortable mattress. Pallets, such as they are using at the camp, create a breeding space for rats.

Several layers of insulation and tarp make a reasonable sized structure easy to heat in the coldest winters. The shelters being built at the camp are enormous compared to the shelters some of us here built for ourselves.

A visitor who was here yesterday is taking a van full of socks and other supplies to Calais soon. Encouraging self reliance would be a better option. I'm inspired to start a 'make your own socks and hats' thread. I'll try to find time to start that thread today.
edit on 18 11 2015 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
One of the most important fire precautions is to ensure the stovepipe is firmly fixed and cannot come into contact with the tarpaulins. There are several ways to make a heat barrier between the stovepipe and the tarpaulins. This method is well tested and needs only a cross cut in the tarpaulin which can be patched later if the tarp is used in a different configuration.

new topics

top topics

join