It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google plans 'watershed' quantum computing announcement in December

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

This all didn't happen because they don't have a quantum computer.

They spent all that money because they want a quantum computer, not because they're certain it will work. As others here have pointed out the Dwave machine doesn't do the types of computations that will break classical cryptography. They can't run Shor's algorithm or Grover's algorithm so they cannot really do any of the truly interesting quantum computations we would like them to do. Your articles talk about how quantum computers are awesome because they can exploit a massive search space larger than the size of the observable universe but it seems to me the Dwave system cannot do that type of thing.

I will not be convinced until I see real documented scientific evidence that a quantum computer has run an algorithm faster than a classical computer could. Honestly I think if quantum computers were able to do the things we expect them to do we would have seen more progress by now. Our inability to make a true quantum processor suggests to me it cannot actually be done. It might simply be impossible to create quantum computers with the power to simulate the observable universe.

When you think about it, simulating the observable universe on a computer which contains a very small number of particles compared to the number of particles it must simulate, there's something extremely strange about that idea which is why some people say quantum computers must be exploiting processing power for parallel dimensions. But I just think it's impossible, there are no parallel universes, we wont ever tap into their power, and quantum computers will be restricted to Dwave-type machines.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Agreed.

I remember when Dean Kamen was announcing his upcoming revolutionary technology, which was bigger than the PC and would be "to the car what the car was to the horse and buggy.”

I was thinking, YES!! Anti-grav tech for the masses! FINALLY.

Nope.

Stupid f**king Segway.

I feel this will be something along that same level of let down.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Nothing you said makes any sense. You said:

I will not be convinced until I see real documented scientific evidence that a quantum computer has run an algorithm faster than a classical computer could.

Honestly, who cares if you're convinced or not? That's not the point. The point is, people who are spending millions of dollars on these quantum computers are convinced because they actually see the computer doing calculations faster than a classical computer can do them. D Wave computers have been tested and it has been shown that entanglement is occurring which allows them to do these faster calculations.

At Google, Neven has run over 500,000 problems on his D-Wave and finds the same. He’s used the D-Wave to train image-recognizing algorithms for mobile phones that are more efficient than any before. He produced a car-recognition algorithm better than anything he could do on a regular silicon machine. He’s also working on a way for Google Glass to detect when you’re winking (on purpose) and snap a picture. “When surgeons go into surgery they have many scalpels, a big one, a small one,” he says. “You have to think of quantum optimization as the sharp scalpel—the specific tool.”

Now should I listen to a guy that has used D Wave for over 500,000 problems and the company he works for just upgraded from 512 qubit computer to a 1,000 qubit computer or you? Should everyone just shut off all thought because you think somethings impossible? Give me a break.

At the end of the day, this is just the beginning of these things and it's not just about D Wave. Researchers all across the planet are working in these areas and we're seeing new advances all the time. For instance, quantum entanglement was just produced at room temperature.

Scientists create quantum entanglement at room temperature

Researchers have successfully produced macro-scale quantum entanglement at room temperature through the one-two combo of an infrared laser (which aligned magnetic states) and electromagnetic pulses (for the actual entanglement). The experiment only included enough electrons and nuclei to fill the space of a blood cell, but that still amounts to linking "thousands" of particles.

This relatively easy entanglement opens the door to tech that wasn't even possible before. You could see sensors that pick up extremely minuscule, particle-level changes. Eventually, this could also lead to spy-proof security where the nature of quantum physics prevents anyone from observing what you're doing. The one certainty: this technology won't be confined to labs for too much longer.

www.engadget.com...

Here's another headline:

D-Wave Systems Lands Important Customer as Quantum Computing Gains Steam

www.techvibes.com...

I was recently watching Next World with Dr. Kaku on Curiosity Stream and a Google Researcher was talking about how they can not only do faster searches with D Wave they have begun to anticipate what you're going to search for in ways that are much faster than any classical computer.

So at the end of the day, research in this area is really at it's infancy and D Wave is just a first step. We're finding out things about the nature of reality that will give us a better explanation as to how nature uses these quantum features on macroscopic levels so efficiently so who cares if you think it's impossible. History is littered with people who proclaim things are impossible and they have no clue as to what they're talking about.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join