It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KC-135 Block 45

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The first Fairchild KC-135 Block 45 has returned home. There are 22 aircraft that will be upgraded over the next 7 years.

The biggest change in the Block 45 is to the engine instrument display. The previous upgrade made it semi-digital display. The Block 45 changes it to all digital displays now.

Other changes are a new autopilot, radar altimeter, digital director, navigation system, and interface changes. This will keep the aircraft flying until 2040.

www.fairchild.af.mil...

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58This will keep the aircraft flying until 2040.

We'll see about that... Maybe the select few jets that are in good condition right now.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

You know that, and I know that. But do you think the idiots they put in charge either know or care?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm starting to think I'm going to be retired before I see a new tanker and bomber in the sky. And since I'll never be able to retire, I'll be dead before they do.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

If they didn't get that extra bird next year then you're probably right.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I think they only care about getting promoted or securing that private sector job once they retire.

Relevant example for anyone interested.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Extra bird?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

To remain a fixed price contract LRIP 1 required a purchase of 8 aircraft. The current purchase is 7. A Continuing Resolution doesn't allow for purchase of aircraft without a waiver. So if they don't get a waiver or pass a budget the Air Force is in breach of contract and they either renegotiate or rebid. And with all the lobbyists and bought Congress Critters, what do you think the odds of a waiver is.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Is glass cockpit/nav upgrades the only thing Block 45 getting? Rumors were, among other small things,more powerful Aux pumps for the Hydro systems so you could run flaps up and down in seconds instead of minutes.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Sad, but likely they will screw the pooch on that no brainer.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

It's one of the biggest changes, but there are a number of changes being made to go with it.

top topics

join