It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French launch airstrike against IS in Raqqa

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
News just broke that the French defense ministry says they conducted an airstrike aimed at IS in the city or Raqqa, Syria. 10 planes, 20+ bombs.

No article yet, just tweets on multiple MSM sources quoting a defense official.

That was pretty quick, but what happens next?

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Bombs away hopefully! !!!!
www.dailystar.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Next?

More bombs....

More terrorist strikes....

Followed by more bombs...

I can't help but wonder the manufacturing cost vs the market price for various armament?

Anyone know where I can peruse such data?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

It varies from country to country, and manufacturer. You MIGHT be able to find list prices, but they're almost never that price. They usually negotiate them lower based on numbers and future contract possibilities.

(post by noonebutme removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

25k for a Mark 84 2,000 pounder on average.
The unit cost to make those is quite a bit less.
There are a lot of varients as well.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Will there be a continued bombing for a few weeks and then troops on the ground I wonder.
I wonder whats been agreed with the coalition countries.
Maybe they will split the Iraq ISIS and Syria ISIS and then surround the two.
Then squeeze until all ISIS are dead.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

That was fast.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Update - French officials saying they struck a command and control center, recruitment center, training camp, and munitions depot.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

They already had the target data. It was just a matter of launching the aircraft, which are already there. They had previously only launched two strikes. That should go way up now.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

"We reached our goal and the whole training camp was destroyed," Hollande said.

Six aircraft were used in the mission, which was led by the French but closely coordinated with the U.S.-led coalition, he said.

France launches its first airstrikes against ISIS in Syria

Looks like the French hit a training site. Good!

CX
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
More bombs, followed by more revenge attacks, followed by more bombs ....lather....rinse.....repeat...

Gonna take a planet changing event for mankind to change it's ways.

CX.

edit on 15/11/15 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Just watch the stock market and you see who really benefits from attacking ISIS

Defense stocks up big as ISIS crisis escalates

Shares of several big contractors are trading at all-time highs and have outperformed the market by a wide margin since the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria started making headlines on a nearly daily basis this summer. Lockheed Martin (LMT), Raytheon (RTN), General Dynamics (GD) and Northrop Grumman (NOC) each hit records on Friday. And all four stocks are up about 10% since the beginning of August , compared to a 4% gain for the S&P 500.

They probably used Rafales and according to wiki these are the armaments it can carry

Air-to-ground:

MBDA Apache or
MBDA Storm Shadow-SCALP EG or
AASM-Hammer or
GBU-12 Paveway II, GBU-22 Paveway III or GBU-49 Enhanced Paveway II
GBU-24 Paveway III
AS-30L

Made by Raytheon, European arms company MBDA, Sagem Défense Sécurité and Nord Aviation

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Let's hope they better at targeting IS and keeping the collateral damage at a minimum than we appear to have been.

And I agree, CX and Rosinitiate. This will never end until we get the f out of there. But we can't. Because of things they can't tell us. Because if they did we'd put them on trial. Or maybe just hang them without one.

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Update - French officials saying they struck a command and control center, recruitment center, training camp, and munitions depot.

So riddle me this. How'd they acquire those targets so fast when the U.S. and/or Russia either didn't have them or didn't act. Maybe one or both provided them to the French so they could get some good old-fashioned revenge. Ugh.
edit on 11/15/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Are these targets that the government/military has wanted to hit for a while now, but needed a pretext and public support?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Sorta, kind just what I was typing (or at least thinking) in my edit up there. Odd.
edit on 11/15/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I think Zaph answered that one probably. My best guess (emphasis on guess) is the targets were known and just hadn't been gotten to yet.

France wanted some immediate pay back annnnd here's some targets for you.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

What gets me, is it's deja vu for the 1000th time. Why can't people see this is the same old formula we've been through a gazillion times?

I guess bombing people makes us feel better or something. It reminds me of people that go shopping and spend a lot of money when they're depressed.

"I'm sad, buying a bunch of stuff will make me feel better.."

"We're outraged, bombing a bunch of people will make us feel better..."

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So, will somebody tell me when they are going to go in for the real kill, and bring death to the idea of IS? Bombs and bullets won't do it Unless of course, we literally slaughter every Muslim. So, just how exactly are we going to defeat IS if we don't kill it as an idea?

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The entire coalition has them. Fixed targets are picked out days ahead of time based on available aircraft, munitions, and weather.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join