It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreaming lots everytime I sleep still normal??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Since a little over a month ago, I've been dreaming excessively. The dreams seem to take much longer than the duration of the sleep itself.

And I'm having these very long dreams every time I sleep!

Even just a 5 min power nap gets me dreaming!

I did not have any changes in routine, nor diet, nor climate, nothing. This is a recent phenomenon for me just a little over one month ago when it started.

Strangely enough, ALL the dreams were pleasant. I had a nice life in all those dreams, almost the opposite of what I have in reality. I could remember many of the dreams, and if I write them all down everytime I wake up, I'm pretty sure I'll remember them all. Half of the time, I just prefer to get back to sleep again, instead of getting on my notes and write them down (I always have a pen and note pad for the more important dreams)

Seems good and all but problem is when I wake up, I feel like I did not get enough sleep. Could there be an underlying problem to this?? I'm not stressed or anything and always sleep around 10 or 11pm, maybe a little depressed but I have been a little depressed for much longer period. Like on and off depression for the last two years.

Thanks for your opinion.
edit on 15-11-2015 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

I've been having the same thing.. I love dreaming, but I hate the fact that I wake up tired at the end. They are just normal day to day situations. Nothing out of the ordinary in my dreams really. (other than the dream about being in a mall that was taken hostage a couple of weeks ago)
The only other time that I experienced dreaming like this, was when I was pregnant 10 years ago. And I'm sure as heck not pregnant now!

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think the truth is that we dream all the time, but we tend to remember just the dreams that are taking place when we wake up. So you are not dreaming more often, but being woken in the middle of one more often. Hence, perhaps, the sense that you are not getting enough sleep.
That's especially likely to be true if you're having more five-minute naps (for catch-up purposes?).

edit on 15-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
sleeping to much possibly

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Dreaming every night, multiple times a night, is the norm.

Even just a 5 min power nap gets me dreaming!

This however is indicative of REM rebound, which shouldn't be occurring if you're putting in your REM time every night [hence many dreams]. You should consider setting up an appointment for polysomnography at your local hospital or sleep center.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I have always dreamed a lot, even during short naps, so it sounds normal to me. It might be that you are remembering more, because you are not sleeping as deeply, which could also explain why you feel tired. Checking your routine, to make sure there isn't something keeping you from sleeping more deeply, isn't a bad idea. Limiting electronic use too close to bedtime, a quiet dark room to sleep, watching any caffeine intake, and so forth, could help.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I think the truth is that we dream all the time, but we tend to remember just the dreams that are taking place when we wake up. So you are not dreaming more often, but being woken in the middle of one more often. Hence, perhaps, the sense that you are not getting enough sleep.
That's especially likely to be true if you're having more five-minute naps (for catch-up purposes?).

If I write the dreams down immediately after waking up, I will actually remember a lot more of them, including dreams from previous nights.

My sleep are straight 6 - 7 hours so far. I only take short naps in the boresome bus ride in the afternoon.

So I guess these things are normal, thanks!

So what changed? Perhaps my memory improved so I could remember my dreams better?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

What you're describing is someone with interrupted sleep which subsequently is causing REM-rebound.

Perhaps my memory improved so I could remember my dreams better?

More instances of going in and out of REM = more dreams = more chances to recall them.

I think what's happening is some underlying issue is interrupting your sleep during REM cycles. You awake. Go back to sleep. Experience a 'new' dream as a result thus giving the impression you dream more.

Ultimately you're experiencing too much REM interruption hence the need for power naps during the day and more specifically the fact those power naps induce REM stages within minutes!! Normally REM occurs much later after initial stages. Your brain is skipping those initial stages because it's deficient on REM. Read up on REM rebound if you're unfamiliar.
edit on 16-11-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

I have always dreamed a lot, even during short naps, so it sounds normal to me. It might be that you are remembering more, because you are not sleeping as deeply, which could also explain why you feel tired. Checking your routine, to make sure there isn't something keeping you from sleeping more deeply, isn't a bad idea. Limiting electronic use too close to bedtime, a quiet dark room to sleep, watching any caffeine intake, and so forth, could help.

I have not changed my routine since 2 years ago. And yes I have a quiet and dark room to sleep, too quiet that sometimes, I let some soft jazz music playing in the background at low volume. No coffee at night but I often watch movies or check forums before I sleep and it has been my routine for many years.

I'll feel much better 1 hr after waking up though.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

What you're describing is someone with interrupted sleep which subsequently is causing REM-rebound.

Perhaps my memory improved so I could remember my dreams better?

More instances of going in and out of REM = more dreams = more chances to recall them.

I think what's happening is some underlying issue is interrupting your sleep during REM cycles. You awake. Go back to sleep. Experience a 'new' dream as a result thus given the impression you dream more. Ultimately you're experience too much REM interruption hence the need for power naps during the day and more specifically the fact those power naps induce REM stages within minutes!! Normally something that takes much longer. Read up on REM rebound if you're unfamiliar.

I used to have interrupted sleep and I could easily recall how many time I roused awake at night.

Just now there isn't any interruption I could recall. I could recall the dreams though.

So it is possible I am waking up without remembering those instances?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Absolutely and it's common.

This is why there is PSG units in hospitals and there are sleep centers.

I know it sounds kinda bizarre because one can be confident it's not the case [when in reality it is]. That's why I suggested setting up an appointment. They will hook you up and monitor your body during sleep. Including an EEG, which is always cool.

All that aside, keep up with caring about dreams and keeping a dream journal. Dreams are an under-appreciated phenomenon.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

Absolutely and it's common.

This is why there is PSG units in hospitals and there are sleep centers.

I know it sounds kinda bizarre because one can be confident it's not the case [when in reality it is]. That's why I suggested setting up an appointment. They will hook you up and monitor your body during sleep. Including an EEG, which is always cool.

All that aside, keep up with caring about dreams and keeping a dream journal. Dreams are an under-appreciated phenomenon.

I don't think I could make an appointment but I could film myself sleep. I'd probably freak out if something totally unexpected comes up.

Yup, I have a dream journal! It's old fashioned paper and pen stuff. I tried doing it on the laptop but once I sat, I forgot the dreams... I could perfectly remember my dreams if I wrote them down while still lying on the bed. The handwriting's terrible though!

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm a little jealous of you, OP. I still remember some of the past dreams that I was able to memorize.

new topics

top topics

join