It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the bible and the practices of spanking observed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

originally posted by: Akragon

originally posted by: sociolpath
If someone claims to follow the path of Jesus, and they are striking their child, I do not believe they are following the teachings of Jesus.

If they are not following the teachings of Jesus and they use scripture to prove their points of life, I cannot believe what they say is true.

Jesus would never strike a child.

Yet some would say Jesus didn't agree with everything that was said in the old scriptures...

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. Exodus 21:15

FOR THE NATION OF ISRAEL ONLY

If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. Proverbs 20:20

All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. Leviticus 20:9

You forgot that not everything that is written in the Bible is for everybody. Those verse were for Israel.

Well thank god... I guess

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
the Bible is to us but not everything in it is for us, many people forget that when they study the Bible.

Slavery, stoning, killing whole groups of people, Sabbath day observance, stoning of homosexuals and bestiality, stoing of people who back talk their parents are not for Christians or any people today.

It was for Israel in their kingdom.

edit on 18-11-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Do you believe any of those things were ever a solution to the issues they apparently resolve?

For a people who lacked forgiveness?

Or from a god who didn't know the word?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Those things were for Israel to keep herself pure, in heart, mind, soul and body.

they were never a solution for anyone outside of Israel unless you wanted to live among them then you too followed those commandments, laws, judgment's, ways, words, testimonies, precepts, ordinances, and statutes. (Ps 119 is about the word of God and it uses all those terms to represent his words as found in scripture).

edit on 19-11-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think whether or not the OT stuff was for Israel or not, they are still pretty f'ed up. A lot of them.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

So again... do you believe the people that actually committed said acts because "god" said it was right were actually keeping "pure" as you put it...

Seems to me that would corrupt ones self... to say the least

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I personally believe that from the point of view of their God it was a way of keeping pure both spiritually and physically.

I could not practically say how it would affect Israel some 3000 years ago I was not there.

But we all know the adage spare the rod spoil the child. todays spare the rod society has produced a generation of spoiled brats, as seen at the many campuses around the States.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Perhaps consider the possibility that the people that ancient "Israel" were attacking over that period of history might have been doing the same thing... following their god

yes im sure the opposing side were all a bunch of heathens according to the book...

but history is usually written by the winners

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
most of the Laws given to Moses was before they moved in.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Though some like myself and even non-Christians may spank their children when need be. But none of us do so to the extent of abuse. A little chastisement is helpful. We don't strike our children in fits of rage or to force them to submit to us as Islmasist do.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Though some like myself and even non-Christians may spank their children when need be. But none of us do so to the extent of abuse. A little chastisement is helpful. We don't strike our children in fits of rage or to force them to submit to us as Islmasist do.

As Islmasist do?.......well you can't get more prejudiced than that....

You admitted that in the year 2015 you beat your children with an implement....and you then attempt to berate a billion or so people on their child rearing???

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
i began cursing my parents years after i left them, up until that moment, i was not cursing them but actively trying to forget they existed and get away. i wanted to put all the blame of my inability to function in society on them.

if this scripture says, "anyone who curses parents, will be put to death." i believe all those laws have spiritual/metaphysical implications, therefore at that time for some reason had physical implications. if the physical implication is not witheld (the law being carried out), and a person is in the dark because they hold onto hatried, they become food for death.

not long after voicing my hatred for my parents, it began to consume me and led me down a long dark road of mental and spiritual darkness.

if i hold onto the forgiveness for things done to me as a child, i do not exist. for i "exist" in the past, which is not a real existence. it took me 5 years as an adult to learn to forgive, and two years of practicing it is still not easy but i am starting to see the light coming through the cracks.

now i can be around them and not be afraid, or full of anger.

my reason for starting this thread was to put light up to the sign, the sign is a road sign for what may happen down the road if you strike a child.

Offending a child is anything that will degrade them and seperate them from knowing they are loved by their parents and god. If a child begins to believe that they are not loved because their "loving" parents are striking them, the road can be dark and long. i know many people who were also struck when children and did not develop hatred. they learned how to forgive early.

Striking a child will bring immideate results, therefore their behavior will be better and the parents will get many compliments and feel as they are good parents. Many people told my parents how amazed they were how "well behaved" their children were but I WAS DYING INSIDE. i wasn't able to believe they loved me as they were striking me. therefore i listened to many negative thoughts. All while being a "good/wellbehaved child". but the split was i did not believe that was what i truly was, as you see, i was still punished every day. the long term effect was a dark place and extreme isolation, if you force a person into a shell, they cannot feel the light of god on their skin.

the shell has been broken. I AM ALIVE! I CAN FEEL THE LIGHT ON MY SKIN AND RADIATING OUT OF MY HEART!
edit on 22-11-2015 by sociolpath because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Just love the way people like you twist things around reword things and make it sound so abusive.

Good luck in life

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Just love the way people like you twist things around reword things and make it sound so abusive.

Good luck in life

You may be able to justify to yourself the beating your children by using the term 'spanking', but when you use an implement it becomes something much more....

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I have to laugh "Beating" Ha haha it is hardly a BEATING. Get real and grow up.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I have to laugh "Beating" Ha haha it is hardly a BEATING. Get real and grow up.

You admitted hitting your child with a tool.....a beating and lazy parenting.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
If you understand psychiatry you don't hit your child with your hand.

the hand is for comforting the spoon/spatula is for chastisement.

We can look at college campuses and at any walmart to see what was produced by those who wouldn't discipline their children, foot stomping, screaming until I get what I want.

edit on 24-11-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If you understand intelligence (not quite Supreme, you understand), you realise that hitting, screaming at and intimidating/or using fear as inducement...is not a sign of an intelligent response to a being created by you (not speaking supernaturally, you understand)...if this is the narrow gamut of intelligence that is used to justify the lack of it - there is clearly a spectrum of intelligence that is missing to elevate this intelligence to Supreme - which is why it is no surprise the OP question is stated at all, and appears in the Forum it does...

Å99

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

If you understand psychiatry you don't hit your child with your hand.

the hand is for comforting the spoon/spatula is for chastisement.

ALL of psychiatry says that all you're doing by hitting your children is telling them that violence is an acceptable method for solving problems. A good parent would owe it to their kids to actually look into it.....

It can lower the IQ of the child and leads them to be more aggressive and violent as adults.

Your kids are misbehaving? hit them with something!

We can look at college campuses and at any walmart to see what was produced by those who wouldn't discipline their children, foot stomping, screaming until I get what I want.

This is something else you've made up in order to excuse you beating your kids with an implement merely because you cant think of anything better.....

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
What we have is a failure to come to understanding because you all are PC'd to death.

You equate a spanking once and a while to violence like ISIS attack on a concert.

I play and strong part in my children's development, I am an active parent. Though I have spanked my children it is far a few in between if at all.

Now having said that I am deeply offended that you would say I am a Lazy Parent or a violent parent.

So at this point I wish not to discuss my preference of Parenting with any of you seeing you are all making a mountain out of a mole hill.

So what if a Bible verse tells us to place a little paddle against a back side to help drive away the foolishness in a child.

You can take it or you can leave it but stop making accusations of lazy parenting or violence when there is none.

This will be my last response to this thread.

edit on 25-11-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join