It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain underwater, thanks Obama. (aka Winter weather watch 2015)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Except for rogue trampolines marching through the streets, lol.

I wish Frank would stop making such a racket, I'm trying to sleep.
edit on 29/12/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Hey thanks! That's a great little site and I agree with Bean's description of 'mesmerising.'

Outside the wind's lashing the street and, all night, the doors were rattling. BBC weather's filling up loads of screen time with Croston and other villages being sand-bagged. A tree's blown over and is blocking a major road near Croston too.

The weather app you linked gives it all a sense of scale. The eye of the storm is somewhere NW of Ireland and the vortices are streaming through the UK like so many ribbons. Lovely stuff

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah I love that site - got it from a thread on here a few years back.

BBC still in Croston but looks like a very wet and windy day again turning colder and drier after that.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

I'm about 10 or 12 miles from Croston on the coast, it's slightly damp and not very windy, very disappointing storm we have unless it's due to come later ?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I'd say you're very lucky, Croston has 3 Severe flood warnings.....

Three severe flood warnings, indicating danger to life, are in place in Croston, Lancashire

Live: Storm Frank hits UK

edit on 30/12/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I'm at the barber's soon for a NYE beard trim. After that, I'm going to pass through Croston and see. Will take a pic if anything looks interesting. 😃✌

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Righto, got there and there wasn't much to see. About four Fire & Rescue tenders were parked and ready to pump around the corners of the village. The road was 'closed' but I drove through anyway. Good bit of spirit on the streets because it's usually quiet and lots of people were out on the pavements. All the doors and porches were sandbagged and otherwise all seemed cool.

The Wheatsheaf is a cracking bar with good food. The landlord should have put a barbie on and made a few quid off the neighbours out on the streets.

Got a few photos and none are much good. This one is the back of the car park at the Highfield pub. There were four police units another couple of tenders and an emergency ambulance. Also seemed to be a few civilian rescue folk there too.

Going back and heading to Southport, there was a huge tree that had gone over by one of the old park gatehouses. It was a whopper. Guessing the sodden earth and the high winds were too much for the old girl. Lucky it missed the house.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Oh well, good news, at least it has been spared!

Cheers for the update.

Quietened down a lot here, I think Frank's out of steam....roll on Gertrude.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This is becoming a regular event, this thread.

Which is a good thing, since it's a nice, polite thread (all credit to woogle) but is this rain going to end?

Scotland took a battering this time:

Dumfries

The M74!

My worst nightmare on the Rest and Be Thankful. There are landslides all the time, I bloody knew this would happen.

To give you an idea, the car dangling over the barrier has a sheer drop beneath him (the road is in the middle of the pic, you can just make out a truck). Scary stuff.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

My worst nightmare on the Rest and Be Thankful. There are landslides all the time, I bloody knew this would happen.

Same here. When things like that happen, a line out of the Baz Luhrman song* always cycles through my mind. It's the idea of going about your business and *boom* something happens that you don't ever know about.

The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind
The kind that blindsides you at 4 p.m on some idle Tuesday
Read more: Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen) Lyrics | MetroLyrics

* just cos it pops in there doesn't mean I love it or nothing!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Hehehe!
That's your best song ever and you know it.

You're right though, it's that instant when everything changes - if you'd left the house 10 seconds later, if you hadn't overtaken that car....uurgh, makes me shudder.
I was once saved by three crows. There's a quiet roundabout near me, at the top of a hill. When I drove up to it, three black crows were strolling across it so I slowed right down, thinking they'd fly off. No, they did not!
They just kept strolling about, even when I drove closer. By now I'm in the middle of the roundabout, and even though there's no cars behind me I don't really want to stop, in case something comes up the hill behind me. So I keep creeping and they keep wandering.
Finally they flew off, and I sped up. As I was going along the road, this car flew up towards me, in my lane. It had been overtaking on a bend and if I'd been seconds earlier - I'd be deid, and mashed up into a paste.
I've always been kind to crows since that day.

Oh and beard pics are always welcome.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

These things are so scary and then weirdly reassuring too. Yeah, you could have had a bad crash BUT something got in the way. The 'something' is like an easter egg that makes us think of the mysterious. Of course, it could be just timing and we can live with the obvious explanation. It doesn't stop us thinking of synchronicity and the meaning in coincidences.

On the beard? The woman who does it says I only go in for a kip. She laughs. She's right.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

The weather forecast says we may get a break on Friday. I think the chap on BBC weather described it as a "dry window"

The river here has receded, and thankfully, so too have the helicopters. Both for the time being at least.

Keep taking care, all.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

omg, is that the A83 near the R&BT stone?

Thanks for the compliment, my aim was to keep up to date with members up and down the country affected by all this....I knew a British weather thread wouldn't attract the trolls, lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Obvious just about anywhere on our Earth is at the mercy of the weather. That being said i think we should thank the Man above for just how ill prepared some areas are with regards to flood defense.

It might not be Obama's fault but Cameron's not exactly got his finger in the dike.

edit on 30-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Cameron's not exactly got his finger in the dike.

There's a pig joke in there somewhere, although I'm not sure how T&C friendly it would be.

You are right though, the whole world is affected. I think with us though it's worse, being a small island with such a condensed population.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I think it's just after the stone, at the nets. That's where it looks like. Those poor souls, they must have been crapping it.
You're welcome, you're a very gracious thread-hoster! And what could be better than a UK weather thread. I should bring tea.

a reply to: Anaana

A dry window .

Good news about the river going down, but what is this Gertrude I'm hearing about? More storms? How annoying.
edit on 30-12-2015 by beansidhe because: Forgot about the window goblin

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

No, they knew! I swear they knew. Maybe some great aunt reincarnated, who knows but they were deliberate in their strolling.

A beardtrim-sleep sounds nice, very relaxing. To be encouraged, I would say.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

At least he's out and about trying to help in his own special way.

edit on 30-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

FFS Peppa, close your mouth.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join